Brienna's "Last" word

Raven said:
Wil: it is possible to not care for a character personally, while still finding them well-written, don't you think?

Absolutely! I don't questions GM's skill of writing. That's proven itself completely. But I can't follow Brienne's story. I've made myself reread it to see if it was just first impressions, but my mind wanders, I just can't get into her. I had a similar problem with Cersei when I first read her pov in AFFC. I made myself reread them and I've started enjoying them more (though not absolutely). So I have tried to be fair.

I know it sounds phoney but I'm glad others enjoy B's chapters, it proves that GM is brilliant and that this is just a personal taste thing with me. I also know my feelings could change, and she could become involved in something later that will make her my favorite (it's possible, despite the shakey beginning, though not likely).

In the end though, I just can't support Brieene, and I look forward to her being taken out of the series, like poor Hound was (now THERE WAS A CHARACTER!).

I think the last word Brienne says is "Sapphires" fwiw. Not sure why, but that's the first thought that popped into my head.

While understanding the semantics between "name" and "word", just for posterities sake I want to go on record as thinking she says "Arya".

I agree with you Wiggum

Wouldn't it be great if Stoneface, sorry Stoneheart, takes her down, get's all the info on Arya, then hangs her anyway. :eek: :D

I know this may come off as an even further out there crackpot theorey, but has anyone thought of the possibility that Brienne says Renly.

Granted it fails the semantic test of being a name, however now that unCat is a creation (or perversion) of the Lord of Light, and Mel's shadow killer offed Renly with the only witnesses being Cat and Brienne......

Im i totally insane, or is this Lord of light connection a possibility?

Good thinking Weasel Soup. That's a definite possibility. Maybe then she'll remember fleeing from Renly's camp with Brienne in tow and she'll show some compassion. Proving that she still has some sane Cat in there somewhere.

Ok, I am going to add abit to this crackpot theorey of mine.

I dont see Brienne surviving unCat on grounds of sympathy from LiveCat memories per se.

I think it depends on how much Thoros is aware of Mel, and vice versa, and if unCat sees Mel as needing "justice". Clearly , in my opinion, unCat having been brought back to life by the Lord of Light probably doesnt worship the seven anymore. The question then becomes having witnessed as liveCat the more nefarious side of the Lord of Light, would Brienne's mention of Renly set up a rivalry between the two more prominant groups invoking R'hllor on westeros.

The group UnCat has fallen in with seem to be perfectly comfortable going up against insurmountable odds, and to a degree (or to however many lives dondarrion had) succeeding.

I guess the only reason i suspect this farfetched little theorey is how much religion began coming to the forefront in a AFFC, and specifically how it ties into magic and the impending war against the others.

yea i agree thought she takes the whole knight in shining armour thing a bit too seriously

Brienne has one coin to buy her life.

That coin has the face of a small girl in Bravvos stamped on it.

timekiller said:
yea i agree thought she takes the whole knight in shining armour thing a bit too seriously

And I wish all the other knights would do the same. Knights these days do not follow their vows the way they should.

timekiller said:

Well, it's all she's got. It's not like she has beauty contests or quilt shows to fall back on.

Nice thoughts on this. Couple of points to remember...

1) If the word is directed at UnCat it has to do with her children. The self-centered wench only cares (cared?) about her children in life so would therefore only be stirred by her children now.

2) If the word is directed to the band of merry fellows watching them hang, "trial" or something of effect would be a good guess. There history indicates they have some honour.

3) Lastly, Brienne is gonna die. Book it. Martin has already said that the ending is not a real happy one. I guess he could be lying, but he really hasn't so far, so why start now.
I agree with Raven, that in some ways Brienne is the most Heroic character in the books. And in contrary to prior belief, POV characters are gonna start biting it. As the story winds down some of them are going to die, and a heroine such as Brienne is going to die in a way befitting her outlook on life.

Look at some of the major death's in the story. Ned dies by his own sword, swung by a man without honour. Joff, the vile, hideous child is poisoned. Tywin, whose whole outlook in the series is to advance the position of the Lannisters gets capped on the potty taking a numero dos. Rob who has some gift for military strategy and can coordinate three armies striking at the same time gets ambushed at his wedding. Even catelyn dies killing someone else’s child, and like a lot of events in her life is a poor trade. The life of a halfwit fool for her own son and his entire army.

Brienne will die but I would assume it will be something that will offer her some peace. Perhaps she will die in process of killing Melisandre once she knows that the red woman is responsible for renly's death.

Anyway this went on too long.

I still think it would be classic if her last word was "Doh"!

*snow*

JohnSnow said:
Nice thoughts on this. Couple of points to remember...

1) If the word is directed at UnCat it has to do with her children. The self-centered wench only cares (cared?) about her children in life so would therefore only be stirred by her children now.
Self-centered = only caring about oneself, correct? Methinks the lady was selfless, actually... not to beat the dead and already much-beaten horse.

JohnSnow said:
3) Lastly, Brienne is gonna die. Book it.
Crap. I hate to admit that I think you're right. She's one of my favorite characters just because she's so incredibly pathetic and she doesn't let it get to her. I wish there could at least be a beginning for her, even if the ending has to be sad.

Weasel Soup said:
Ok, I am going to add abit to this crackpot theorey of mine.

I dont see Brienne surviving unCat on grounds of sympathy from LiveCat memories per se.

I think it depends on how much Thoros is aware of Mel, and vice versa, and if unCat sees Mel as needing "justice". Clearly , in my opinion, unCat having been brought back to life by the Lord of Light probably doesnt worship the seven anymore. The question then becomes having witnessed as liveCat the more nefarious side of the Lord of Light, would Brienne's mention of Renly set up a rivalry between the two more prominant groups invoking R'hllor on westeros.

The group UnCat has fallen in with seem to be perfectly comfortable going up against insurmountable odds, and to a degree (or to however many lives dondarrion had) succeeding.

I guess the only reason i suspect this farfetched little theorey is how much religion began coming to the forefront in a AFFC, and specifically how it ties into magic and the impending war against the others.
I have my doubts that Cat cared much about Renly's killer when she was alive. After all, she didn't support Renly as king, and if Rob hadn't spoken up, she would probably have sided with Stannis as Ned did. It seems UnCat is really hot on betrayal - more so than just regular non traitorous enemies. So trying to stir her memories of how Brienne originally helped her would be a baaad idea, in my estimation. I see her as being fairly mindless now, as a revenant - she's got a coupla burning (sorry, bad pun) ideas stuck in that undead head and the rest of her personality died in the Frey's castle. After all, Catelyn when alive was still fairly compassionate (except towards Jon), and I have trouble seeing her hanging a child like Pod.

I know I'm draggging an old thread up buuuuuut....

I think she says "Stannis."

Why?

I'm in the process of rereading the books from start to middle and have just come to Renly's death in aCoK. Brienne is talking with Catelyn about what she will do after leaving her when they have arrived at Riverrun and says that she swore to kill Stannis no matter what "I swore a vow. Three times i swore. You heard me."

After offering to serve Catelyn Brienne says "...And I think that, when the time comes, you wil not try and hold me back. Promise me that. That you will not hold me back from Stannis."

Catelyn's reply is "When the time comes, I will not hold you back."

Detritus said:
I know I'm draggging an old thread up buuuuuut....

I think she says "Stannis."

Why?

I'm in the process of rereading the books from start to middle and have just come to Renly's death in aCoK. Brienne is talking with Catelyn about what she will do after leaving her when they have arrived at Riverrun and says that she swore to kill Stannis no matter what "I swore a vow. Three times i swore. You heard me."

After offering to serve Catelyn Brienne says "...And I think that, when the time comes, you wil not try and hold me back. Promise me that. That you will not hold me back from Stannis."

Catelyn's reply is "When the time comes, I will not hold you back."

Maybe, though i am not sure if that would uphold atm seeing as in unCats eyes she now is a traitor