Favorite Scenes?

Prefx

Lord of the City-Within
This thread is prone for spoilers, so if you haven't read the book yet, you might want to avoid these posts for now.

My question to you all is simple: which were your favorite scenes? And to you, Mrs. Howard, which was your favorite scene to write?

For me, the most memorable scene came early. In chapter 2 when you discussed the events that proceeded the Princess' death, I had to read the pages twice. The way you jumped around and showed what happened to the priests, the empress, the dwarf-- stunning.

I also liked the scene where they fought the sea serpent, the final scene with Ouriana setting up book 2, and, strangely enough, the relaxed conversations between the maid and Eireamhoine (who I can't help wonder more about).

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before.

Hmmm. Favorite scenes to write ... that was a while back and of course I've written new scenes featuring some of the same characters since, so my memory may be a bit lacking when it comes to what I felt at the time.

I actually have a hard time writing action scenes, so the fight with the sea-dragon took a lot of work, but I liked doing the parts just before and after.

Over all, I most enjoy writing scenes where the wizards just sort of let themselves go and experience the world as wizards, seeing and sensing things that aren't available to ordinary senses.

But that last scene with Ouriána that you mention has rather an interesting history. That chapter was something I added at the absolute last minute to the revised and copy-edited manuscript, at my editor's behest. I wanted to end the book with more of a sense of closure -- in that one group of characters had at least arrived in Skyrra, and another in a place they hoped would be safe -- so that one stage of the adventure was over and the second book would begin with the next stage. But my editor wanted something that would create a little more anticipation.

I'd been late turning things in every stage of the way (the same health problems that have delayed the new book, but which I'm hoping are behind me now), and I was not exactly their favorite person at HarperCollins at that particular moment in time. Therefore not in the best position to argue about the best way to end the book -- and so stressed out that I wasn't even sure my own view of the matter was rational and right anyway.

So I made up a new scene on the spot, and wrote it over-night, already sleep-deprived and high on chocolate and caffeine, and giddy enough withal that the pages just sort of flowed out of me. Fortunately for me, my editor loved that last chapter. But I can't look at it without remembering all the horrible things I felt at the time, which makes it impossible for me to tell what I think of the finished product.

To hear from someone who liked that last bit makes me very happy, since it allows me to think that the hellish night when I wrote it may have actually been worth while.

I really liked the scene with the sea-dragon, Kelpie. You might claim to have problems writing action scenes, but you do it very well.

I think if I were to pick another favourite section from The Hidden Stars it would have to be the build up to Faolein being shot with the crystal arrow. I found the imagery and tension in that build up, breathtaking, and the end result totally unexpected. It was brilliant all round.

The Hidden Stars is an excellent start to an epic fantasy series. There is so much in it that it's hard to nail down just one or two best scenes. Even as I wrote the first two paragraphs of this post, more and more great scenes leapt back to mind. The imagery you created has such depth and clarity, yet you managed to keep the pace up as well. It is an enviable talent. (It's alright, you don't have to stick your finger down your throat at this point. This is genuine praise. If I were sucking up to you, I'd go on a lot more. :D )

Oh Mark, how little you know me if you imagine that any amount of praise could sicken me!

Or at least, no one has ever managed to repulse me that way so far. I suppose there must be some purely theoretical point at which it might happen ...