Your favourite Malazan novel to date

They were all great, but I think MoI is the best one for me, followed by DHG.

Foor me it has to be MoI. DG used to be my least favourite, but having recently reread it it's now no3 after Bone Hunters. But really, I was gripped from the first word of GoTM - so they are all brilliant IMHO!

Agh, this is almost impossible.I'm tempted to go for Deadhouse Gates or Memories of Ice as I feel these are possibly the most tragic, moving and poetic of his works, but at the same time I'm positive I've never been *thrilled* quite so much as I was by The Bonehunters. The possibility of one of Erikson's classic convergences of power involving no less than Icarium, Karsa and Rhulad has my mouth watering.

Hell, they're all amazing, I refuse to make a more committing answer than that. :/

well I am on my second reading, just finished deadhouse gates, I have to say I knew what was going to happen but the impact was still there, did everyone else find that with the second reading and GOTM flows a lot easier second time round.

I can't believe how much better it was the second time round I mean I loved it the first time but still so much more stands out when you read it all again I'm allmost scared to read it all a third time!

I'd put them in order (best first):

Memories of Ice
Deadhouse Gates
Gardens of the Moon
Midnight Tides
House of Chains
The Bonehunters

Midnight Tides
may move up to above Gardens of Moon following the next re-read, whilst House of Chains recently moved up from bottom place.

I'm going to decide on this when I re-read them all next year - for now I have no idea really, despite my other post. The more I think about it, the less I'm sure.

HoC is the worst by far. I'm having trouble getting into it, it's not catching my interest at all.
I'm about half way through but I've been at that point for the last 2 or 3 weeks.
OK, so I've been a tad busy with work and getting ready for the festive season but it's not bothering me that I'm not reading it.
It's a shame, as I liked MoI so much and I have MT waiting on my bookshelf with BH and Nok coming for christmas.

I have a funny feeling when I re-read HoC it'll be right up amongst my favourites. Introduces a few of my favourite characters, and has some absolutely wonderful moments often made even more beautiful by hindsight.

I rank HoC at the bottom of my list too. I don't really know why, but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the others. Still a very good book, but outclassed by the ones around it. Certainly by MoI and MT, which are my two favorites:)

Memories of Ice for me (Even if I do love Karsa & Iccarium, but the Seguleh are just too freaking awesome)

HoC is the worst by far. I'm having trouble getting into it, it's not catching my interest at all.
I'm about half way through but I've been at that point for the last 2 or 3 weeks.
OK, so I've been a tad busy with work and getting ready for the festive season but it's not bothering me that I'm not reading it.
It's a shame, as I liked MoI so much and I have MT waiting on my bookshelf with BH and Nok coming for christmas.

I thought HoC was pretty good - ok, it had a very hard act to follow as it was preceded by DG and MoI which are both brilliant, but it was easily as good as Gardens for me. Karsa Orlong was an interesting character. After reading Bonehunters, though, it seems pretty good in comparison. The Bonehunters is by far the worst in the series - Erikson was at his best when he was only hinting at the bigger picture and huge complexity of the series. Now he's started bringing it all together, it seems to fit too neatly and simply (and he does have some cringeworthy scenes in it).

I'm hoping that he manages to get back on form with Reaper's Gale.

I'm on a re-read at moment just finished DHG,its even more heartbreaking second time round.HOC I personally found the weakest so far, but that could change on a second reading.I was hooked from the first few chapters of GOTM, but on the reread I appreciated it even more. Bonehunters was good, maybe things are coming together too neatly but its still a brilliant read.

Deadhouse Gates is killing me - no seriously - I'm frustrated and done. I'm on page 615 and don't know what the hell is going on. How many gawddamned tangents can Erikson have?
Somehow I was able to keep up with them in GOM, but DG is too much. I already own Memories of Ice, but I'm thinking of selling all three on eBay.
I'm gonna skim the rest of DG and see if the ending is compelling enough to make me read Memories - if not, you can get 'em cheap on eBay this week.
-g-

Ah well, thats a shame. Theres no doubt that the Malazan books are full of hundreds of different plot-lines. Thats one of the reasons I find them so appealing, personally.