Christopher Paolini's Eldest (Discussion)

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
This thread is in response to a (not so subtle) hint by my friend Alia that we discuss the story here. There will probably be spoilers and whatnot floating about this thread so if you haven't read the book yet and plan on doing so, please remember that.

So, in answer to Alia's question about the vacuum - King Orik is a 'scientist' of sorts and discovers a vacuum by creating space in a tube with mercury (in a scene in which he is speaking with the leader of the Varden, can't think of her name at the moment) . What is amusing to me about this is that there is an American vacuum manufacturer named Oreck :p

Not so subtle hint... LOL Thanks Dwndrgn, your the sweetest for making this thread. I've been posting, adding, deleting, creating and such all day... thanks to Knivesout. :D

I remember the Scientist and his weird experiment. I was more in tuned with what happen to the leader of the Varden (whose name I too can't remember) and her idea of selling lace to support the war efforts.

SPOILER*****************************

I'm wondering if the Elves are going to join the battle or not make it at all... and it's ashame about the king of the dwarves. I rather liked him and cried when he died.

Now... the red dragon, whose rider I don't remember :D... how is it he learned so fast? And is his story believeable? I can't remember if he spoke the ancient language or not when he told Eragon. Ah... old age is wearing on my memory. :(

heh, i really liked these books, the name of the Varden's learder is Nasuada by the way and the red rider is Morzan :)

I listen to the CD's, I don't have the printed copy of these books, YET. So I didn't even know how to spell the names. Thanks for helping me out with the names, Amara. :)

heh, no problem, i just read Eldest and i enjoyed it quite a bit so it wasn't that hard to remeber ;)

Finished it just yesterday:cool:

I have to say that Paolini made a HUGE improverment upon Eragon. His writing style was much better and he did more to attract readers and draw them in.

I also felt sad when Hrothgar died, I felt sad for the fact that such a mighty king died so easily in battle and didn't get a chance to prove himself in hand to hand combat.

I also felt bad about the appearance of Murtagh, because we had spent quite some time enjoying the strength that Eragon has acquired through his training with Oromis and then to have him appear so weak compared to a fellow rider....It just kind of takes the whole thrill out of Eragon having all his changes.

Still, an excellent book indeed!

oh and Alia, yes Murtagh spoke to Eragon in the Ancient language. I also dearly hope that the elves join, I just want to see what kind of havoc so many skilled warriors put together can achieve.

I think the story needs the Elves to join the battle. I also think that we will see the golden dragon again too, his battling days are far from over. ;)