An Acceptable Time (1989)

Chronos

Meet the Austins (1960)

The Moon By Night (1991)

The Young Unicorns (1968)

A Ring of Endless Light (1980)

Troubling a Star (1994)
A Severed Wasp (1982)

Madeleine L'Engle has written 71 different books in several different genres. I have only posted the ones related to the Wrinkle of Time Series. A Wrinkle in Time is a Newbery Award winner. If you would like to know more about her other books let me know, I'll list them too.

I have read the first generation of this series and An Acceptable Time...
Many Waters was my favorite because of what the storyline pertained to. An Acceptable Time was the worse book I have ever read, but the rest of them were great and awesome reads! And I highly recommend them.
Recently A Wrinkle In Time was made into a movie, haven't seen it yet. Has anyone seen it?

How mature are these books?

I always ask this question about YA material because some a more mature than others, and I tend to like the ones that though do not include graphical violence etc. They arent necessarily for very young children :)

These books do not contain any graphic violence at all. There are some intense situations for smaller readers (like will he get out, how are they going to free him, are they going to leave him, kind of thing, nothing too major), but nothing that I wouldn't read to my 8 year old. There is a point were one characters family life isn't the greatest, but for the most point the books are for the younger crowd.

Alia said:
These books do not contain any graphic violence at all. There are some intense situations for smaller readers (like will he get out, how are they going to free him, are they going to leave him, kind of thing, nothing too major), but nothing that I wouldn't read to my 8 year old. There is a point were one characters family life isn't the greatest, but for the most point the books are for the younger crowd.

Thanks for the info :) Sounds a little too young for me.

I've heard so much about these books - especially Wrinkle, usually from long-time fantasy fans who cherish the book as a childhood favourite. I'm pretty comfortable with children's fiction, like Richmal Crompton's brilliant William books or Lewis' Narnia series - given that, would this be something I wouldn't find too 'kiddy' to enjoy?

I think, and this is my personal opinion, that Narnia is more child-like than A Wrinkle in Time. The children encounter alien life forms, saving their father, space travel, first love, and they deal with complex issues. Issues that deal with being an orginal verses being like everyone else, and living exactly like you are told and programmed too. Makes for a great discussion with the kids. I would recommend to read the first book, at least. I stop reading the series after An acceptable Time because I was disappointed on how poorly it was written.

I re-read the Wrinkle in Time series again, for the first time since I was in school many years ago. It's interesting how my perspective has changed as I've matured. I still say they are among the best works of literature I've ever read. It's hard to find discussions on these books, but I don't know why.

"A Wrinkle in Time" and "A Swiftly Tilting Planet are both well told stories with good charater development and multiple philosophical layers. I found "A Wind in the Door" a bit more disappointing since the pacing felt choppy and some of the characters seemed pointless or were not really developed. It still presented some thought-provoking ideas, but I just don't feel that the story was quite up to the standard of the others.

I enjoyed The Wrinkle of Time series. I first read them when I was a kid, and did a re-read of them a few years ago.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kythe Obituaries 3
carrie221 Young Adult Fiction 9
T Young Adult Fiction 22