Favourite fictional character

I've just finished Steven Erikson's MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN and it would be soooo easy to pick a handfull of characters from those books, but to keep things decent i'm going to go for FIDDLER, my favorite sapper :)

Jack Bauer - 24
Jason Bourne - Bourne trilogy
Cayal - Tide Lords quadrilogy
Calis - Feist universe.

I actually really liked Dustfinger from Inkheart... I haven't read much of the latter books but, despite being more a supporting character than a main, he really stood out in the first. He was mysterious and refreshing. :)

There are others, but I'll have to get back to you on that.

Okay, I have a slight problem in that I can't edit my post... Could someone tell me why that might be? :S

And to make this 2nd post worthwhile, I'll say what I was going to say.

Even though it's not a fantasy based novel, I also found the character Jude (from the Noughts and Crosses trilogy) highly compelling in Knife Edge (book 2). While I didn't approve of his actions, I truly sympathised with him and I felt he was more complex than either of the main characters. He just stood out and everything he felt seemed realistic and upsetting, even though he turns into the villain of the story.

LOL, yeh, Feather Witch is annoying, but i think Salmar secretly wants Karsa but is too afraid to say so ;)

Mudge the Otter in the Spellsinger series. He's a thief, a pervert and foul mouthed. Hilarious. Other than that, probably most of the characters in the Terry Pratchett books.

Lirael, I asked a similar question a little while ago -- and the answers answer your question (see thread here --> http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/48043-how-to-delete-posts.html ).

As for my favorite fictional character...

I would have to say the first person that comes to mind is Sparrowhawk from the Earthsea stories (Le Guin). I love how, over the course of the books, we see how Ged changes, grows, and experiences his exceptional life and career. There's the way he views himself (a lowly goatherd) and the way he's viewed by the world (the most powerful wizard). And his love story is something slow that happens over the series.

Anyway. There are others that I've liked a lot, as well: Ender (Ender's Game), Star (Glory Road), Boy Blue (Fables)... but as for a character that I really admire, it'd be Sparrowhawk.

:D

Snake Plissken - isn't he dead?

From literature I'll nominate Heljanita the Toymaker on the grounds of obscurity.
From film it has to be Corporal Hicks from Aliens - "Marines, we are leaving!"

As many have said, too many to list, but:

Doctor Who---so many aspects to his character(s)

Mr. Spock--a favorite since I first saw him

Faramir ---from LOTR, the PRINT version, not the movie!

Avon and Servalan from Blakes 7

Sarek of Vulcan--wish we'd seen more of him

Tarzan

Doc Savage and his crew

Book; Gernau Gurgeh from the Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. I enjoyed the subtle shift in attitude from the Cultlure to the Empire of Azad.

TV; G'Kar from Babylon 5. When you first see him, you think he's the bad guy. As the series continued, many levels of this complex character were seen.

Film; Han Solo. He's so cool.

Books : Conan,Parker,Jon Shannow

Tv : Homer,Bart,Lisa,Captain Malcolm Reynolds,Jack O'Niell,Daniel Jackson,Teal'c,Samantha Carter,Vorenus,Pullo,Monk,Dexter

Film: The Man with no Name,Lee(Bruce Lee duh!),Inspector Chan(Police Story)Jef Costello(Le Samourai), Sojuro(Toshiro Mifune in a Kurasawa movie of the same name)

Dr Who
Forrest Gump
Homer Simpson
Ferris Bueller
Morpheus
Ripley
Father Christmas.

Quite a wide range there.

If you like Father Christmas, you should try "The New Father Christmas" (short story by Brian Aldiss. Really cool. Watch those stairs!)

Harry Feinman and Arthur Gordon from the Forge of God. Martin Gordon from the Forge of God.