Science Fiction Youth memory

Jeroen Verbeek

Hi,

Hope someone can help me with the following. During my youth in the early eighties I have read a science fiction book and I only remember flashes of it. I am wondering if someone knows the title and author.

The book is about a man having a training for being a galactic soldier, somewhere on a planet (Mars?). A fellow soldier dies in the training (something blows in his face), but the male main character moves on. He is searching for his love (a woman named Anneray?), got injured and gets robot parts (arm/legs). In the meantime he is anxious that he lost the woman because of traveling through time and have age differences. In the end they find each other.

I know it is very vague, but someone have a clue?

Thank you,
Jeroen

Doesn't precisely fit (e.g., I don't recall robot parts, anyway, but maybe I've forgotten) but it sounds like Joe Haldeman's The Forever War from c.1974/5. Marygay, I think was the woman's name. (Yep, the wikipedia article confirms that.)

I would agree, but same as, a long time since I read it what happened to the film adaptation they spoke about.

(Mind you I think there was 3 revisions of the story so maybe I read an earlier version)

Many thanks! I checked the Wiki, and this is indeed the book I'm looking for. Amazing, you knew it out of my 30 year old memory description :). Thank you so much.

Back