Help on Submissions...

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
I am getting a hell of alot of submissions and I haven't time to read so what do I do?

I don't really want to close so I was thinking of getting fellow talented Chronners to help. But to make it worthwhile to them, apart from honing their skills as writers, I thought TBP would once a year hire a Bed and Breakfast for a couple of nights so all particapants could chill with fellow Chronners. I will try and make it an event with a panel etc, sell a few books. Go for a meal on the Sat night.

TBP will stand the cost of the B and B and the meal. It could to be a good get together as well. :)

My rule for reading stuff is if I'm not engaged by 10 pages it's a no.

Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Is there any deals on flights to UK if booked up well in advance? Would be nice to have you, Teresa and Jennifer there.

Bearing in mind that I am extremely naive about the publishing industry, my thought is couldn't you email submissions to trusted independent forum members, those you've worked with before and who haven't submitted? The B and B idea sounds great fun, but I wonder if it will pay for itself in terms of work done, or will you all spend more time than expected just chatting and catching up?

I hope you don't mind me putting my oar in. As I said, I have no experience of the publishing industry except a few polite rejection letters!

Gary, I suggest instead of having open submissions all the time, have a limited period, example say four times a year for a month or six weeks like lots of other small presses. (Boo Books do this) It will give you chance to catch your breath.

This. You also need time to publish the books that you have. If you're swamped, change tack. Make subbing to Tickety boo an event. You can announce subs opening, and that's a promo hit. By closing you make yourself look in demand. And, if something takes your eye when you're closed, you can still offer to have a look at it.

Gary, have you got a lot of submissions from a lot of non-chronners?

In a strange way pleased that submissions have stopped because when you look at it it ais a testament to the time and effort that Gary has poured into this, not even thinking about money. If the interest he is generating can be taken in the submission he has received then surely both he and Tickety Boo are destined for greatness.

It's better to doggy paddle than drown. (I have images of a hand emerging from a pile of submissions that is really quite terrifying).

And when I think about it, as the best support I could give was to try and buy much of what he publishes, him slowing down for a bit makes it easier on the old pocket ;)

Boss, if you need me to read through anything I'm more than happy to do so, but depending on how much I can't guarantee how quickly!

Thank PM :)

Still plenty to come, like Sir Edric's Temple and Sir Edric's Treasure, Reiver's collection, Hobgoblin Night, Endeavor and the sequel, Erebus, Biblia Loncrofta, 2 and 3 of Abendau, the Age of Discord Trilogy, the Noukari trilogy by Alex, Magic, Aliens, Death and Space.

Alex brought to TBP a fully edited collection called Though Shalt Not (10 horror stories about the commandments). Prince of Demons. 2 and 3 of the Heartfire series including a new cover for the Amazon.com market of Indigo Heartfire.

Have I missed anyone?

So your pocket will still need intensive care. :)

And with all that still in the pipeline, it was definitely a good idea to close submissions. Between all those you have listed above and anything good that may be there in those unread manuscripts, it looks like you will have a full schedule for the next couple of years, even without an open window this year. For a small start-up press, that's an extensive list.

Thank PM :)

Still plenty to come, like Sir Edric's Temple and Sir Edric's Treasure, Reiver's collection, Hobgoblin Night, Endeavor and the sequel, Erebus, Biblia Loncrofta, 2 and 3 of Abendau, the Age of Discord Trilogy, the Noukari trilogy by Alex, Magic, Aliens, Death and Space.

Alex brought to TBP a fully edited collection called Though Shalt Not (10 horror stories about the commandments). Prince of Demons. 2 and 3 of the Heartfire series including a new cover for the Amazon.com market of Indigo Heartfire.

Have I missed anyone?

So your pocket will still need intensive care. :)

I do believe I have a few of them on order at least... so it won't be that bad will it? Gulp.

Incidentally after choosing it to read a few weeks ago, just started a book called 'Oracle' or something, heard of it? ;)

Swallows hard and looks sheepish, before putting up hand.:notworthy::notworthy:

Seriously, hope you enjoy it. :)

Well there is very little like it I have read before, and with my concentration not what it was I'm not sure how honest any perceptions I might have it might be (medication does that), but so far - I didn't really know what to make of the first two chapters, they kept me reading. But when Oracle turns up in the next chapter it really came alive for me. It looks like I'm really going to enjoy it!