Usb to hdmi converter help

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
I have a usb data stick with a load of old family photos. With my old TV it was a simple matter to plug this stick into the usb port and then select and view them using the remote.
However my current TV doesn't have a usb port, what it does have is a spare hdmi port.

I've been looking for what should be a very simple adaptor with a male hdmi end and a female usb end, then I can plug it into the spare TV hdmi port and just leave it there.
Whenever I want after that I can then plug my usb data stick into the female usb adaptor end and hence view my photos.

However it seems that they're all made the other way round, with female hdmi and male usb - is there a technical reason for this?

This might be an impractical idea, but if I were going to do this I would plug my laptop into the loop USB into the laptop HDMI out. But this is a lot of messing if this is some sort of regular problem.

Female to female usb adaptor on Amazon at £5.49, USB to HDMI converter £10.49, and then you just need a HDMI leas.

Would this work?

My guess is that unless your TV is specially designed to access a drive through a video port you will need something more than just a converter from usb to hdmi.

For instance-my blueray player has a usb port just for this. It does all the work and sends the appropriate signal to the monitor or TV.

The hdmi is made to drive video and audio into the TV not really geared for identifying usb drives and trying to access them.

Most of those usb to hdmi converters are made for the computer to send video and audio signals through to the monitor or TV which is basically sitting there waiting for audio video signals to connect. The computer does the same processing of the signals as the blueray would.

However; that doesn't mean that your TV doesn't have that capability--I just would be surprised it it was built in somehow.

My guess is that unless your TV is specially designed to access a drive through a video port you will need something more than just a converter from usb to hdmi.

For instance-my blueray player has a usb port just for this. It does all the work and sends the appropriate signal to the monitor or TV.

The hdmi is made to drive video and audio into the TV not really geared for identifying usb drives and trying to access them.

Most of those usb to hdmi converters are made for the computer to send video and audio signals through to the monitor or TV which is basically sitting there waiting for audio video signals to connect. The computer does the same processing of the signals as the blueray would.

However; that doesn't mean that your TV doesn't have that capability--I just would be surprised it it was built in somehow.

Good idea. Maybe worth buying a cheap dvd player with usb input. £28 on Amazon for a region free player.

Obviously worth checking your current player first!

My idea would be to plug the USB into a USB-port of a laptop and then connect the laptop via HDMI to the TV. Perhaps copy the content to your laptop first.
Or connect the USB to any other device in your home that can stream to your TV, via Bluetooth or Chromecast.

USB to HDMI will not work - theres nothing to decode the video files, wont be part of the TV. You need to buy something for the inbetween, or ChromeCast from another device (which will work straight to HDMI)

Danny would any of these fit the bill? Wavlink USB 3.0 To HDMI Multi Monitor Video Graphic Adapter, HD 1080p Output External Video Card Adapter HDMI Display Projector - Walmart.com
If you can't find them in UK I could purchase here and ship to you.
Cheers but it's the same "opposite hand" issue I already have, I was looking for one with a female usb and a male hdmi .
However some of the comments in here are indicating that it wouldn't work anyway,so I'll have to have a rethink on this!

Female to female usb adaptor on Amazon at £5.49, USB to HDMI converter £10.49, and then you just need a HDMI leas.

Would this work?
Dunno now!
All this is way too confusing TBH....I need to consult with my nerdy nephew, he'll be visiting in about 3 weeks so I'll pass this problem over to him
Thanks all

Cheers but it's the same "opposite hand" issue I already have, I was looking for one with a female usb and a male hdmi .
However some of the comments in here are indicating that it wouldn't work anyway,so I'll have to have a rethink on this!
Danny, what's the make and model of your TV? Just in the mood to continue gnawing this bone .... lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Technology 23
paranoid marvin Technology 8
Brian G Turner Technology 21