Classic Dr Who vs New Doctor Who, Which Do You Prefer and Why?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Do you prefer the the Classic Series or The New Series or do you like both series equally. Which series do think ,has the better writing? What do you think are strengths and weakness of both series?

My choice is probably not the most popular but I loved the Seventh Doctor. Ace was a fantastic companion and the Kandy Man the only villain to terrify me completely. I have yet to eat a liquorice allsort without a moment of pause and slight nerves.

As a long time viewer of Dr Who, my first Dr was Pertwee, I must confess I miss the classic stories. Although they suffered from terrible sfx and poor production values, the stories took their time to develop, without much of the frantic running around we get today. It would be interesting to see some of the older stories remade to current production standards. I had hoped the new Doctor would be an improvement, but if there are many more episodes like the Robin Hood one then I really feel my time as a Dr fan has passed.

McCoy was "my" childhood Doctor too, so will always be fondly remembered. But I've not dipped back into those episodes since, so goodness knows how they would hold up now.

I have watched some classic episodes/arcs from time to time, and I have a vague plan to watch all the "critical" episodes (e.g. all the ones concerning Daleks, Cybermen, Master, Timelords/regeneration) but there are so many missing episodes, and the ones that are on DVD are a bit pricey for my tastes.

The modern Who is geared to the modern audience and I am a big fan, mostly. Ecclestone was a great choice to revive the show, Tennant was a very strong choice too. Smith took some getting used to, but he had a great energy and I was 100% on board with him as the Doctor before long. Likewise with Capaldi, he's very different but still "the Doctor" shines through..

The older format of 4-6 week arcs of 20 minute episodes wouldn't work these days - the ones I've seen have plenty of padding in the middle episodes too. But the modern show definitely has too mush running around, and too many "end of the world/universe" plotlines. More intimate plots, well executed, tend to yield more emotional results. This week's show (Listen) being a good example of one where the "threat" wasn't about to bring forth the apocalypse yet the story was engaging.

Classic up to Doctor #4. Without the benefit of complicated and realistic special effects and CGI (anyone remember the bubble wrap spray painted green?) the episodes had to rely on solid characters and stories. I say up to #4 because I have recently watched some episodes from #5 and 6 and noticed a sharp increase in violence (#6 holds a gun to another character's head!). There is also much more whinging and whining from the companions, starting with Adric. I can watch most of Pertwee's and Baker's episodes many time over.

Tom Baker's 4th Doctor really got me into the show. He was hilariously off the wall funny. :D

I use to enjoy watching Classic Doctor Who when I was around five or six years old. I don't remember any of the storylines, though, but I do remember Tom Baker and Sarah Jane Smith. Last year, I started watching Tom Baker's first appearance as the Doctor in Robot. I lost interest after two episodes, most likely because I'm more used to the modern style. So, I prefer New Who at the moment. I'm one of the people whose favourite Doctor is Matt Smith (although, Capaldi has the potential to become my new favourite).

Tom Baker is still my favorite Doctor, but there are no others in the original series that I like as much as the Doctors in the new series. As far as companions go, it's sort of a toss up; in both series there are some I like and some I can't stand (unfortunately, one of those happens to be Clara). All things considered, I'd have to say I like the new series best.

Tom Baker is still my favorite Doctor, but there are no others in the original series that I like as much as the Doctors in the new series. As far as companions go, it's sort of a toss up; in both series there are some I like and some I can't stand (unfortunately, one of those happens to be Clara). All things considered, I'd have to say I like the new series best.

I liked Sarah Jane Smith.:)

New Who.

Just for Ecclestone playing a damaged Time Lord with PTSD. No one does damaged quintile Ecclestone.

Agree totally! He was amazing. Old Who has good acting (in places) not so strong on FX but to be fair they made a very good attempt, and manged some quite unerving moments. I think I have to go for New Who. The quality has varied, I agree the Robin Hood episode was dull as dishwater, but the season picked up quite nicley. Overall there have been moments in which I have wanted to slap the makers (martha quite frankly in the new who is my least favourite companion, even on re runs I find her irritating) but it has generally deliverd, even drivel such as Daleks in New york gave us some fun moments. So yeah...pretty much New Who.

I'm a fan of McGann, but Ecclestone was great in the post-time war Doctor's shoes. He would have been great in John Hurt's place in the special episode too, as much of a John Hurt fan as I am.

"Lots of planets have a North". As a Mancunian I loved that line :D

I'm a fan of McGann, but Ecclestone was great in the post-time war Doctor's shoes. He would have been great in John Hurt's place in the special episode too, as much of a John Hurt fan as I am.

"Lots of planets have a North". As a Mancunian I loved that line :D

You know what could be fun? If they did the occasional Dr who film with Paul McGann , the lost years?