Fantasy Novel opening, 1300w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Geoff

Here’s another version of the opening of the second novel in my “Plain Girl’s Earrings” trilogy. I wasn’t too happy with the opening (nor were some critics) and I toyed with the idea of writing a completely different opening. For the moment, I have tried some more modest changes; cutting three of the five main characters (they turn up later), and making minor changes to make things clearer for readers who come to the second book cold. Other small changes are made in an effort to increase tension.
--------------------------
Chapter 1

On the flat horizon, Starsin saw a new thing. As he rode closer, it raised itself out of the cultivated plain and became a city wall. His red-haired companion, Lannaira, confirmed that this was the wall of Chazu.

Starsin, a refugee and former noble, hoped to find friends and supporters in this place. While in the hands of the slavers, he had fervently wished that he was in Chazu, and now its walls were taking shape before his eyes. He wondered if he was less likely to be murdered here than anywhere else. More immediatly, he hoped to find a decent inn and re-unite with his three other companions of the road.

Closer to, the wall was a substantial construction, with the customary crenellations on the parapet, and regularly spaced defensive towers. Some way inside the city, three slim towers with shafts of a startling turquoise blue soared into the sky. A large object, a kind of kite, waved above the top of each.

Ahead was some delay, a congestion of people and carts. Starsin felt a clutch of unease. There would be a check at the city gate. Very soon he would discover how much information the Virnal spies might have forwarded about him.

“There’s a moat,” Starsin remarked, on seeing a glint of water close ahead, under the wall. Lannaira did not reply to this effort at small-talk.

The road crossed the moat by a permanent bridge of wood. A double-arched gateway divided the road under a squat stone tower; part of Chazu's outer defensive wall.

Lannaira kneed her animal to close up with Starsin. “Let me do the talking here.”

Voices shouted, urging the travellers forward. Carts creaked into motion.

The hooves of their mounts, six-legged timalts, drummed on the planks of the bridge. These creatures, looking like small elongated horses, were as ubiquitous here as elsewhere on his travels.

After a cursory exchange with the guards, they rode out of the long, shadowy gateway into the sunlight and noise of the city road.

Starsin looked around him. He had not expected to see open spaces within the city, where plots of vegetable crops adjoined low buildings, and where water trickled in ditches. Mean buildings were to one side and ahead. Beyond them rose the shining domed roofs of palaces and temples in the middle distance.

Behind them, he heard a creaking and groaning of timbers. The gates were closing, shutting out a last bright, small view of the great plain. Even as Starsin looked back, wondering if they should make a dash to get outside, he saw that a line of soldiers was blocking the gateway with readied pikes that shone in the sun. It was too late.

"I hope that's nothing to do with us," said Lannaira.

A clutch of unease gripped Starsin's stomach. Without discussion, both of them increased their pace away from the gate.

“What’s that?” Lannaira pointed toward a column of smoke drifting from an open plot. She urged her timalt towards it. Starsin felt obliged to follow the red-haired adventuress. At a line of flags on cord which barred their way, she stopped, dismounted and ducked under it.

“Lannaira? Shouldn’t we just get away from here?” He could still see the line of soldiers, behind a straggle of people on the city road. He dismounted and ducked under the line of flags.

He still could not see what was burning. It was as if the smoke came out of the ground. He felt a sharp, unhealthy odour tickle his nose. "What, it's one of those things? And inside the city?"
“It is,” Lannaira said. “I can’t pass this by.”

The depression was three feet across, crusted and black, and in the middle hot cinders glowed and smoked. Down a crack yellow heat sparkled. There was a mixed smell of burnt organics and hot mineral. Lannaira fumbled in her jacket and pulled out a crumpled paper. She ran her finger down the text, then, pointing at the hole, began to read from the paper. The words made no sense to Starsin.

What is she doing? Saying a prayer? Quoting some ancient poem? No, she must be trying to discover something about the burning-pit. Lannaira was a self-made expert in ancient objects and ancient texts, and they both suspected that the burning pits were something to do with the ancients. He had encountered them outside his home city, Calah.

She was ignoring him. Whatever it was she was trying to do, she would not thank him for disturbing her concentration. He glanced toward the line of soldiers. No reaction there, and nobody else was paying them much attention.

A shouting came from behind him. He turned, to see a man with a staff and badge crossing the strung line of flags. The newcomer was robed, face twisted in determination, and strode forward in an officious manner.

Oh, damn. Starsin’s guts cramped with anxiety. He forced himself to stand still and meet the eye of the shouter as he approached.

"What's the problem, my man?"

"What was that woman doing? Is she rousing the burning-pit by sorcery?" The man sounded angry, his face flushing.

Starsin didn't answer directly. "And who might you be, sirrah? Your office?"

"I am an official of the Chazu Holy Militia!" the man gasped.

"And is there something wrong with your wits, sir?" Starsin said, in a cultivated tone.

The man gaped.

"The thing has clearly been here a while, else why the flags? We however have just arrived in the city and were indulging our curiosity."

"What was the woman doing, then, Master?" the militiaman asked in a lower tone.

"How should I know what women do, sir? She thinks the smoke lucky, perhaps? Reciting a prayer against harm? It's of no concern."

Lannaira, to Starsin’s relief, had desisted, hidden the paper, and was looking at the sky.

"You should not cross the flag barriers," the militiaman said. "These pits are created by deadly sorcery!"

"For that we apologise," Starsin said. "We did not think it would trouble anybody save ourselves."

"Please be about your business, Master. And respect our laws and customs," the militiaman said. He stepped back and held up the line of flags.

They returned to the street, in silence. They moved on, till the militiaman was out of hearing.

Starsin was sweating and his heart was pounding. The last thing he wanted to do was attract the attention of any of the authorities here, but he had challenged the man without thinking. He took several deep breaths to calm himself.

Lannaira tugged at his sleeve. "Thanks for that! I didn’t know you were that good. The lordly accent! The supercilious manner! I'd never have dared talk to a mazu militiaman quite like that! And there was no way I’d show him that paper. But how -?"

"I had to do something. And don't thank me - jumped-up little men annoy me. But what were you doing, Lanna?" He looked into her startling blue eyes. She was as tall as he was. Her skin had faint lines, especially around the eyes, and she had a prominent nose, reddened by the sun.

"I was trying to use some control-words on the burning-pit."

"Hah? I didn't -". Starsin was aware that the burning-pits were something in which Lannaira and her acquaintances took a serious interest, but talk of control-words was beyond him.

"I'll explain later; it's too public here."

"All right."

I have to admit I'm struggling over the opening. I can't help but feel that there's a lack of focus, and that you are falling into the trap of "must mention interesting bits of information" even though these do not add to the plot, pace, or atmosphere.

For example, the opening line is very weak:

On the flat horizon, Starsin saw a new thing

A thing? Come on, you can give us something more exciting than that to entice us. :) I know you're trying to intimate a break from a monotonous landscape, but also remember that you state, just after, how eager Starsin was to reach this city. Why doesn't that enthusiasm start at the first sentence?

His red-haired companion, Lannaira

Is this all that defines her? Her red hair? Isn't this just for the reader's sake? And therefore jumping straight out of Starsin's character?

Another thing that bugged me - your description of the city could be great, but then this line dominants for me:

A large object, a kind of kite, waved above the top of each.

Is this detail important? Why does the character notice this?

Also, "a kind of" - don't be vague in your descriptions - be certain. I stopped here, trying to decide what you meant, and why you'd brought my attention to it.

I appreciate that I read quite a few lot of books where I don't like the beginning, so feel free to ignore my opinion entirely. However, my recommendation to you, for this intro, is to stop thinking about what you think you must include. In fact, as an exercise, try writing the opening from Starsin's POV, and don't mention anything that doesn't exist in that immediate moment. What does this mean to him?

2c

Last edited:
On the flat horizon, Starsin saw a new thing. As he rode closer, it raised itself out of the cultivated plain and became a city wall.
I know what you are trying to achieve here and I,Brian pulls you up on it. An easy fix to this attempt would be to describe the flat horizon better. Make it clear that he's riding along an endless desert BEFORE you mention the new thing. It makes a bigger effect.

I have not read your other writing (yet!) but I hope I can contribute here

I personally like it so far. I like the introduction into this universe and the promise it holds to break free of the traditional trope of fantasy/sci fi writing and show us something new (six legged sausage horses? great!)
I like the intrigue that the Virnal spies are after him, he is also immediately likeable in a reluctant hero kind of way. I also like his natural deft wit to wriggle out of the situation with the militia chap - its a classic but one I love.

I would like to have a tiny bit more flavour of Chazu. Not much, maybe even only a sentence, but just a bit more to take me there - the smells, the people, the buildings ('Mean' buildings?), is it a poor place, dirty place etc - it's atmosphere I suppose.

Otherwise yeah, a nice little tone setter for things to come as they start their adventure in a new place.

Some minor technical points:

- Spelling of immediately, second paragraph.
- Repeat of the use of 'clutch of unease'.
- His train of thought starting 'What is she doing?' - I think the fourth sentence 'No,..' is still his thoughts, right?

Lastly, I am sad that she has a prominent nose! for me this means large and protruding and I know its a filthy stereotype but I was hoping she is hot.

I do like this, it just seems like a framework that needs fleshing out.

The first time through I gave up at the moat.

Then I read what WinterLight had to say and decided I should finish it.

I think you are throwing away opportunity to throw the reader a bone at the beginning by slicing much into kibble and bits throughout.

If you were to pull some description below to the top you might engage the reader more quickly by getting an earlier description of her and at the same time sneak in a few thing about him.

As an example; that will be far from perfect, but might demonstrate what I mean.

::
After so long on the flat horizon, Starsin had puzzled the break of something across all of nothing. It had slowly slithered and risen out of the cultivated plain to become what might be described as a city wall. Quite prominent, almost as much so as the nose on his companions face. Lannaira stood tall; eye to eye with him and what cold eyes those were. But her features were chiseled into such a strange beauty that contrast with the calculated adventurous behind them. On quick observation someone might mistake which of them was the noble; she was something else. More likely to get him into trouble as to steer him away. And beyond the wall that became more defined with every step; there was something more and now was the time to find out. He looked again at her, the unusual color of the sky around the city cast outward to deepen the cascade of red hair that framed her face. He opened his mouth, but before he spoke her usually unflagging head nodded in silent answer to his unasked question. So this is the wall of Chazu.

Or you may carry on as you started, whichever makes you continue to write.

I'm going to echo a couple of the others and say that the opening doesn't grab the reader enough yet, which is a shame because the rest is really, really good and I want to read more.

I'm not experienced enough to suggest how you can improve the opening, except to put a bit of action there at the start, but your characters really come to life a little further down the page and if you could get that sort of feel into the opening paragraph it would improve it greatly. I love the way Starsin goes all 'stuck-up noble' to intimidate the officious little militia man.

Sorry this isn't much help!

I have to admit I'm struggling over the opening. I can't help but feel that there's a lack of focus, and that you are falling into the trap of "must mention interesting bits of information" even though these do not add to the plot, pace, or atmosphere.
2c
So you don't like my opening. No worries, I was not sure about it myself. I thought the opening line was kind of clever a few months ago but I've cooled on it since.
I was trying to load some information into the opening to get the reader oriented.
The kites? I imagined that he'd notice them, and they do play a part in the story later.

On the flat horizon, Starsin saw a new thing. As he rode closer, it raised itself out of the cultivated plain and became a city wall.
I know what you are trying to achieve here and I,Brian pulls you up on it. An easy fix to this attempt would be to describe the flat horizon better. Make it clear that he's riding along an endless desert BEFORE you mention the new thing. It makes a bigger effect.
barrett1987 not impressed by the opening either.

I personally like it so far. I like the introduction into this universe and the promise it holds to break free of the traditional trope of fantasy/sci fi writing and show us something new (six legged sausage horses? great!)
I like the intrigue that the Virnal spies are after him, he is also immediately likeable in a reluctant hero kind of way. I also like his natural deft wit to wriggle out of the situation with the militia chap - its a classic but one I love.

I would like to have a tiny bit more flavour of Chazu. Not much, maybe even only a sentence, but just a bit more to take me there - the smells, the people, the buildings ('Mean' buildings?), is it a poor place, dirty place etc - it's atmosphere I suppose.
Thanks Winterlight. So some of it works. More description? That I can do.
I have deliberately made Lannaira plain because I felt that to make her gorgeous would be (a) a bit of a cliche and (b) stretching credibility given her various active roles in the story.

After so long on the flat horizon, Starsin had puzzled the break of something across all of nothing. It had slowly slithered and risen out of the cultivated plain to become what might be described as a city wall. Quite prominent, almost as much so as the nose on his companions face. Lannaira stood tall ....
Thanks Tinkerdan. So you'd prefer something like the above? Interesting. Maybe that's the way forward.

I think you are throwing away opportunity to throw the reader a bone at the beginning by slicing much into kibble and bits throughout.
I've read this comment several times and I'm still not sure what you mean.

I'm going to echo a couple of the others and say that the opening doesn't grab the reader enough yet, which is a shame because the rest is really, really good and I want to read more.

I'm not experienced enough to suggest how you can improve the opening, except to put a bit of action there at the start, but your characters really come to life a little further down the page and if you could get that sort of feel into the opening paragraph it would improve it greatly. I love the way Starsin goes all 'stuck-up noble' to intimidate the officious little militia man.
Thanks, Kerrybuchanan. So you don't like the opening either, but think it's better further on.

Openings are hard. They are the part of writing that I struggle with the most. They need to be amazing, but mine generally turn out unimpressive. And there is such a variety of published examples.

I find openings hard too. It's trying to get that hook in there that's the challenge. I sometimes wonder if it's better to just write the damn thing and then chose the part at which the story really takes off. Cut everything above that place, to make that bit the opening, then go back afterwards and explain the missing information later in the story if necessary!

So you don't like my opening. No worries, I was not sure about it myself. I thought the opening line was kind of clever a few months ago but I've cooled on it since.
I was trying to load some information into the opening to get the reader oriented.

Orienting the reader is not the priority; interesting/intriguing them is. One of the most gripping openings I've read is that to Max Barry's Lexicon. For two pages it's very unclear what's happening and to whom, but needing to find out kept me going.

I think when you come to rewrite your opening, you have to do it for yourself. Write something, include some detail, set up a question, which really interests you. Then find out if it works on others too.

Status
Not open for further replies.