Fantasy Novel opening (900 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonk the Insane

The following is the opening for a Fantasy novel I finished a while back. I'd be grateful for any thoughts you have, especially if there are any glaring errors I've overlooked.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘We have been betrayed.’

Tol stumbled into the abbot’s study, nearly losing his footing as his toe caught on the lip of the faded rug in front of the old man’s desk. He recovered his balance over three stuttering steps and glared back over his shoulder at the knight who had shoved him into the room, but the heavy oak door was already closing. It slammed shut, a dampened funeral bell resounding off the study’s stone walls.

We have been betrayed. The words echoed through Tol’s skull with every racing pulse as his feet took the final steps to the worn centre of the rug, a familiar spot where he so often listened to the abbot’s lectures and reprimands, and feigned contrition as best as he could. Tol turned slowly to his left and faced the man who would decide his fate, the man who had trained him and punished him in equal measure. The room was the same as ever: a faded tapestry depicting the Seven’s defence of a wounded angel directly behind him; the abbot’s wide oak desk in front of him, the abbot’s spindly torso almost completely obscured by the weathered wood. Behind his head, on the far wall, two iron hooks were hammered into the stone of the mountain, and although Tol couldn’t see it, he knew a cobwebbed sword dangled point-down, crossguard straddling the nails.

Betrayed.

Silence heavy as a tombstone filled the room as Tol met the abbot’s unflinching gaze. Father Michael looked older than ever, as though the weight of Tol’s transgressions had mounted up and now, finally, had leached a payment in vitality from the old man’s weathered skin. He looked smaller, a child behind an adult’s writing desk. The room was the same, but the abbot’s expression was bleak and humourless, darker than Tol could remember on any other visit for punishment. And there were a lot of those.

Betrayed.

A knight of the Reve stood motionless to Tol’s right, his hulking frame nearly obliterating all the weak winter light seeping through the lead-lined window. Another Reve knight had delivered Tol to the abbot’s study, and he had spied a third in the snow-packed courtyard. Betrayal was not a word spoken lightly by the church, and even less by the Knights Reve, those knights sworn to defend the Church of the Nameless Maker. Tol had seen their muddy white surcoats earlier and hoped, perhaps, that this rare visit heralded the knights choosing boys from the abbey as squires. Now, it seemed, an altogether different reason had brought them to Icepeak Abbey: to deliver the church’s justice.

But for what crime? That was the problem; there were so many to choose from.

Gambling with the abbey’s money? Tol wondered as he felt the abbot’s grey eyes wash over him. I’ve been warned enough, maybe this really was my last chance.

‘What did you do this time?’ Father Michael asked, an ink-stained finger crooked at Tol’s bloody lip.

Tol remained silent.

‘Sir Erik is the most patient of knights,’ the old man continued, ‘so how did you provoke him into giving you that?’

‘Told him I could find my own way here and didn’t need a nursemaid.’

‘That would do it,’ Father Michael chuckled.

Now I know it’s bad, Tol thought sourly, his gaze drifting back to the huge knight at the window and the broadsword at his hip. If he’s not disciplining me for taunting a knight, it must be bad.

There was a sheathed sword lying on top of the abbot’s desk, but Tol knew the old man was no fool. And faster than he looks. He’d learned that the hard way on the practice ground.

The knight’s the danger. A wall of muscle and sinew, still staring at something beyond the abbey’s walls. Tol shuffled to his right, inch by inch. If I can close the distance between us, I’ll be able to reach him before he can draw. But the Knights Reve were the best fighters in the world, and even without a sword the man would be a real threat. I wonder if I could throw him out the window? Tol’s gaze flicked over the knight again. Probably not, he reluctantly admitted; there was a whole lot of knight beneath that surcoat. His eyes flicked back to the sword on Father Michael’s desk. No, he decided, he’s probably put it there in the hope I’ll reach for it. The old man was sneaky like that.

‘We don’t have time for this,’ the knight announced, turning at last from the window, his surly features almost obliterated by a dark, unkempt beard. Behind him, through the fogged glass, Tol could make out a smudge of colour making its way up the snow-covered mountain path.

‘The church has a task for you,’ Tol heard the abbot say. He leaned back to try and get a better view out of the window, but the big oaf had shifted his weight, the window now totally obscured.

Visitors? It was the last day of the year, tomorrow heralding a new year and a new century – an odd time for anyone with sense to visit an abbey, not when there was such a dearth of ale, merriment, and most especially women.

Tol’s attention snapped back to the abbot, a single word piercing his thoughts.

‘—and deliver a message to the sisters there,’ the abbot finished.

‘Sisters?’

‘I have your full attention now, do I?’

This is great! I would really look forward to seeing what's coming.

There are a couple of things that I would suggest rearranging slightly for clarity, but the only one that's really jarring is the comma placement in "...listened to the abbot's lectures and reprimands, and feigned contrition..." which I would omit because it puts the feigning contrition with the feet taking final steps to the rug rather than with the listening to the abbot.

And I'm not at all sure who actually says "we have been betrayed." I thought at first it was Tol, then the knight who pushed him, then the abbot, and never did really figure it out. You could put "the abbot's words echoed..." if it is the abbot's words, in that second paragraph, to clarify.

Other than that, gimme more! :D

maybe ' he took the steps' rather than ' his feet took the steps.' Cos I see his feet detaching and wandering off on their own.

The following is the opening for a Fantasy novel I finished a while back. I'd be grateful for any thoughts you have, especially if there are any glaring errors I've overlooked.

The opening line is great "We have been betrayed". Excellent! But then you have - what, 10 verbs - in the following 3 sentences?

IMO you've have filled your prose so full of verbs, nouns, and adjectives, that it doesn't flow naturally.

On top of that, it's impossible to focus on any part of what's actually going on - every background detail has both a characteristic and doing action. The result is that whatever we're supposed to know is being swamped with things that obscure it.

Perhaps I misunderstand the style you're going for - there's certainly something very slapstick, rather than urgent, in what I've read. But I think if you cut down on the background details, and used your verbs in a more restrained and considered way, the prose itself would become very much clearer.

2c.

Generlly, I liked this a lot but I do think Brian's onto something about simplifying the sentence structure as I tripped over a couple. But it's a pretty minor nit.

I enjoyed it well enough, but I did find myself slipping and losing focus a few times, which made it more difficult to read than I think it should be for an opener (though I did almost fall alsleep reading anothe book half an hour ago :sleep:).

I think you've bogged down quite a few of the paragraphs with what I, at this point in the novel, might be tempted to all unnecessary information, things that could be drip fed later on, and shown rather than told.
Things like the abbot being a really good swordsman, and really quick. I think that could be shown later on, and at the moment doesn't really add much to the current scene. My brain still has him pegged as a standard man of the cloth, not a warrior monk, and the danger for Tol is still there because of all the muscle and sinew of the actual knight.

The second half of the paragraph that starts 'A knight of the Rêve stood motionless...' comes across as a little forced information for me. I'm think I'm quite stick on info dumps though. The above point kinda falls into that category as well I guess.

And Just general sentence tidying, cutting unnessecary words and rearranging would help greatly to un-bog down in my eyes (I'm awful at this, so it's odd that it's something I notice in critiques) For example I thought the opening line was great, but then you lurch into two very packed and wordy sentences, that could be said in half as many words or less.

:speechless:

Thank you, you've raised really good points that I hadn't considered. Now that it's been pointed out I can see how the flowery prose is a distraction in places.

I liked this aside from the We have been betrayed part.

The problem with that is it's used as the hook and it doesn't go anywhere; or at least it's deflated.

Plus we hear it four times Betrayed. Maybe once would work with some thing in the thoughts that might account for the We part because I feel the POV feels betrayed but no one else or at least has enough guilt to account for some betrayal. But the whole point of that gets lost and at the end it's more a farce you've pulled on the reader.

I'd be interested in continuing, but not because of the We have been betrayed part. You might want to focus on what is there that hooked me and ditch the betrayal.

Now, I was seeing the flowery prose and sentence structure as a style, and it's one that I happen to like, so it didn't bother me. It has a dry humor about it that makes it work.

Now, I was seeing the flowery prose and sentence structure as a style, and it's one that I happen to like, so it didn't bother me. It has a dry humor about it that makes it work.

Ah yes. Half of me thought this might be the case as well, and if is then my points carry less weight, cause That's something that isn't really ours to critique;)

I had a similar reaction to Littlestar.

I would have liked it to be made clear who says "We have been betrayed" right from the start, as not knowing hastened my reading of it in search of the answer. I also found that for me, the piece wasn't helped by the contrast between the urgency of the repeated "Betrayed" and the languid, almost dreamy style of the descriptive paragraphs in between. They're well-written, and in another context might work very well, but here, where I'm anxious to get a quick grasp of what should be a tense situation, I start to skim them and then ended up not getting any of the scene at all, having to go back and reread them. On the opening page, that isn't something you want.

It picks up once the dialogue starts, and I wonder if you need all the description up-front? Readers often don't need a scene painted at all if there's a tense discussion going on; they're happy to fill in the gaps as they go.

Thanks for your critiques everyone, there's plenty of food for thought. The explanation of the betrayal occurs later in the first chapter, but I can see how dangling it there at the beginning and not clearing it up quickly enough can be more of a put-off rather than the hook it was intended as - I guess I hadn't noticed because I already knew what was going to happen.
The result is that whatever we're supposed to know is being swamped with things that obscure it.
Thank you, Brian. I hadn't considered it from that perspective.

Other than that, gimme more!
Thank you, that's very kind. There is (for good or ill) quite a lot more: 135k words and 2 more books rounding off the trilogy.
It has a dry humor about it
It was semi-intentional - partly my humour, and partly seemed to fit.

Readers often don't need a scene painted at all if there's a tense discussion going on
Thanks. I hadn't thought of it like that.

I see his feet detaching and wandering off on their own.
that image is seared into my mind now!:)

I liked it but agree that "We have been betrayed" seemed misplaced. Who said it, but also why we? He seems to be alone and facing a problem. Betrayed was also a distraction although I did get the sense that he was in trouble and that he might have to fight his way out. I understand the impact you are trying to achieve that he is let off lightly with a task rather than being punished but it felt that impact was too important. I read your comment above and if this wan't the opening prose then I understand, but it was presented as the opening chapter.

Having said that - it is well written and keeps the reader interested. A hook is important and achieving it in the first sentence is tremendous if that can be achieved so it is worth trying for. Given the comments - perhaps it is less important than you think as several people like the writing. "Sisters" was a nice hook and worked for me!!

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘We have been betrayed.’

Tol stumbled into the abbot’s study, nearly losing his footing as his toe caught on the lip of the faded rug in front of the old man’s desk. He recovered his balance over three stuttering steps and glared back over his shoulder at the knight who had shoved him into the room, but the heavy oak door was already closing. It slammed shut, a dampened funeral bell resounding off the study’s stone walls.

We have been betrayed. The words echoed through Tol’s skull with every racing pulse as his feet took the final steps to the worn centre of the rug, a familiar spot where he so often listened to the abbot’s lectures and reprimands, and feigned contrition as best as he could. Tol turned slowly to his left and faced the man who would decide his fate, the man who had trained him and punished him in equal measure. The room was the same as ever: a faded tapestry depicting the Seven’s defence of a wounded angel directly behind him; the abbot’s wide oak desk in front of him, the abbot’s spindly torso almost completely obscured by the weathered wood. Behind his head, on the far wall, two iron hooks were hammered into the stone of the mountain, and although Tol couldn’t see it, he knew a cobwebbed sword dangled point-down, crossguard straddling the nails.

Betrayed.

Silence heavy as a tombstone filled the room as Tol met the abbot’s unflinching gaze. Father Michael looked older than ever, as though the weight of Tol’s transgressions had mounted up and now, finally, had leached a payment in vitality from the old man’s weathered skin. He looked smaller, a child behind an adult’s writing desk. The room was the same, but the abbot’s expression was bleak and humourless, darker than Tol could remember on any other visit for punishment. And there were a lot of those.

Betrayed.

A knight of the Reve stood motionless to Tol’s right, his hulking frame nearly obliterating all the weak winter light seeping through the lead-lined window. Another Reve knight had delivered Tol to the abbot’s study, and he had spied a third in the snow-packed courtyard. Betrayal was not a word spoken lightly by the church, and even less by the Knights Reve, those knights sworn to defend the Church of the Nameless Maker. Tol had seen their muddy white surcoats earlier and hoped, perhaps, that this rare visit heralded the knights choosing boys from the abbey as squires. Now, it seemed, an altogether different reason had brought them to Icepeak Abbey: to deliver the church’s justice.

But for what crime? That was the problem; there were so many to choose from.

Gambling with the abbey’s money? Tol wondered as he felt the abbot’s grey eyes wash over him. I’ve been warned enough, maybe this really was my last chance.

‘What did you do this time?’ Father Michael asked, an ink-stained finger crooked at Tol’s bloody lip.

Tol remained silent.

‘Sir Erik is the most patient of knights,’ the old man continued, ‘so how did you provoke him into giving you that?’

‘Told him I could find my own way here and didn’t need a nursemaid.’

‘That would do it,’ Father Michael chuckled.

Now I know it’s bad, Tol thought sourly, his gaze drifting back to the huge knight at the window and the broadsword at his hip. If he’s not disciplining me for taunting a knight, it must be bad.

There was a sheathed sword lying on top of the abbot’s desk, but Tol knew the old man was no fool. And faster than he looks. He’d learned that the hard way on the practice ground.

The knight’s the danger. A wall of muscle and sinew, still staring at something beyond the abbey’s walls. Tol shuffled to his right, inch by inch. If I can close the distance between us, I’ll be able to reach him before he can draw. But the Knights Reve were the best fighters in the world, and even without a sword the man would be a real threat. I wonder if I could throw him out the window? Tol’s gaze flicked over the knight again. Probably not, he reluctantly admitted; there was a whole lot of knight beneath that surcoat. His eyes flicked back to the sword on Father Michael’s desk. No, he decided, he’s probably put it there in the hope I’ll reach for it. The old man was sneaky like that.

‘We don’t have time for this,’ the knight announced, turning at last from the window, his surly features almost obliterated by a dark, unkempt beard. Behind him, through the fogged glass, Tol could make out a smudge of colour making its way up the snow-covered mountain path.

‘The church has a task for you,’ Tol heard the abbot say. He leaned back to try and get a better view out of the window, but the big oaf had shifted his weight, the window now totally obscured.

Visitors? It was the last day of the year, tomorrow heralding a new year and a new century – an odd time for anyone with sense to visit an abbey, not when there was such a dearth of ale, merriment, and most especially women.

Tol’s attention snapped back to the abbot, a single word piercing his thoughts.

‘—and deliver a message to the sisters there,’ the abbot finished.

‘Sisters?’

‘I have your full attention now, do I?’
I'll do my best, this is one of my first few critiques. I get where you are going with the opening line. Your raising a question in the readers mind, who betrayed them/him, and for what? Once is enough, (my opinion) repeating it takes the intrigue out of it. You are very descriptive, but sometimes, less is more. I am guilty of the same thing at times, and find myself deleting when I, or my wife reads what's been written. Otherwise, a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.