Hardback Dickens series?

Bick

Luddite Curmudgeon
Supporter
Not a SF/F question, I'm afraid, but there are so many knowledgeable readers of all genres here I thought I'd ask:

Is there a good, definitive, hardback collection of Dickens novels that anyone knows of or recommends? Penguin classics do a hardback series with nice cloth covers which is the sort of thing I'm after, but it is incomplete, lacking Little Dorrit, Dombey and Son, etc, which are ones I want. I have a hankering to get a nice HB collection but have so far failed to find a good inclusive one. I'd want them to have the original plates by Phiz, too. New not s/h, ideally. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

No I don't know off-hand but thanks for raising this. I'm sure someone out there will know.

I have all Dickens novels in Penguin Black Classic but they are of course in paperback.

Maybe not quite the cloth covers you want - but I think it has all volumes, extras and I think has the illustrations by Phiz. Obviously check up with the sellers, cause it's a lot of money if you want 'em!

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780192545220/Oxford-Illustrated-Dickens-Charles-0192545221/plp

Unfortunately the seller is in the US, so don't know what the transport costs would be.

I checked the parent company but I couldn't find them selling even a complete set of Dickens (or much in hardback.)

EDIT - I've used the website - www.abebooks.co.uk a few times - they're good on rare, out of print and weird and wonderful books.

Last edited: