Amazon KDP now offering hardback option

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just noticed a hardback option in my KDP bookshelf - marked as "beta" but still available to use. Which raises interesting possibilities. :)

Anyone tried that option for themselves, yet?

I just noticed by way of your post.
The process is the same as paper edition and they offer ISBN This is something I have been waiting for.
I just finished converting one of my books to this and ordered a review copy.

A few things:
My Paper edition is 5.5 by 8.5 and the smallest in hard offered at this point is 5.5 by 8.5 --so it was a simple bit of using the same doc file I sent previously.

The cover is only offered in Laminate glossy or matt which means that there is no dustcover offered so they put the print right on the hard cover itself. with a few tweaks of my artwork I had the cover in short order.

Presently they do not offer review copies for the UK.
You can still review it on-line--however I still want to do the review copy to be certain about the cover alignment.

I will follow up after the copy arrives for my review--however I don't expect too many problems and it will likely go to publication shortly after I have a look.

Note:

I also recently ordered this book in the hard edition

Which has the laminate matt cover and I like the look an feel of it.
This may or may not be a KDP book.

The four pictures have on the left my comb bound final draft used at home which as you can see is marginally close to the colors of the final bound books. On the right is the paper bound book and in the middle is the hard bound.
as04.jpg
as03.jpg

As I mentioned the cover art is right on the book itself not a dustcover.
as02.jpg
as01.jpg

Not sure if you can tell but the binding is the same glue binding as for the paperback edition with a cloth piece attached to the back for effect(I guess). Not sure if anyone publishes POD(purchase on demand) with anything except that type of binding. It is most noticable when you have a large book past 350 pages.
as05.jpg

Many of the traditionally published books I get right now seem to have the appearance of the old sewn-however they use glue There are around thirty some pages in a group and then the groups are all glued together-which I think gives the spine a slight bit more flexibility than you get with single pages all glued into one whole.

Over-all I like the look and feel, though I personally prefer dust covers on hard editions.

Your cost to print is about doubled. A bit more than.
The paperback of this one cost 3.85 US to print while the Hardbound is 8.50 US.
It is 250 pages for both so you can figure that the hard-binding is the reason for the difference.
I priced the paperback at 9.99 US so that it qualifies for full distribution and I make a fair amount from each sale~20% royalty.
I will price the hard bound edition for 14.99 US for full distribution but only make around 50 cents~ 4% royalty. I do this mostly because I'll probably sell most of these to friends and family--I don't expect that much in other sales on the hardbound. If I start getting a lot I'll consider raising the price.

Just a bit of added discovery.
The Hard Bound Editions are limited presently to 550 pages.
That means @HareBrain you would have to reformat your novels to a large size interior page to reduce the page numbers.

The one I'm going to self-publish has 546 (close call there).

Also of note:
The distribution for that is only with Amazon worldwide.
Expanded Distribution is not yet available--not sure it it will be eventually(hoping; though I may have to raise the price at that point).

Also:
the pricing for us is like this.
  • $5.50 (fixed cost) + (300 [page count] * $0.012 [per page cost]) = $9.10 (printing cost)
Paperback are:

• 0.85 USD fixed cost + (300 page count * 0.012 USD per page cost) = 4.45 USD (printing cost)

For 550 page:
  • $5.50 (fixed cost) + (550 [page count] * $0.012 [per page cost]) = $12.10 (printing cost)
Paperback are:

• 0.85 USD fixed cost + (550 page count * 0.012 USD per page cost) = 7.45 USD (printing cost
I just finished converting two more books.
For me:
The total time spent for all three was around 6 hrs most of that was tweaking cover art and design to fit.
Only change on the interior was the copyrights page with the ISBN.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing @tinkerdan. I noticed this beta option but I wasn't sure that it isn't just a vanity project for me. I don't sell a lot of paperbacks so why would the hardback sell?

However, I am not beyond a bit of vanity and a hardback does appeal.

I see the hardback pages suffer from the same wave issues as the paperbacks.

I get the crème color pages--does this appear also with white pages?
It has never bothered me; in that after reading a book it should look a bit used anyway.
It was evident here because I posed the book wedged on it's cover and the pages were under stress since they are about 0.125 inches away from the surface they are on.[ Being supported by the cover which is larger than the interior pages.]

I'm thinking that the thickness of the sheets of crème might be less than the white.