Argh!

Had to log back in: had another thought...

Would it work to incorporate the sound? Works in comic books - "Biff!", "Smash!", "Thwack!"...and so on.

For cuts/chops...I like "shtnk!" followed by some explanation!

For messy stabbings or slashing cuts, how about "shlt" (with an optional "o")?

I think really, if its a serious scream of pain, it's better to describe it.

A blood curdling howl, like death throws of a speared ... gopher?

Argh, to me, is frustration. I use it in posting, but not in fiction. Pirates say Arr.

Oh, and pirates are manly -- except for Jack Sparrow, who may be so comfortable in his manhood that he is something else entirely. :D

I agree that describing the sound, rather than spelling it, is probably more what you want to do. I think you're on the right track.

Boneman, yeah this is the trouble. 'Ah' in Somerset means yes! I've probably done it on here, put 'ah' for yes.

Argh is kinda piratey, I think this is why it sounds so daft when I've written it. I need more of an aah. But then that sounds 'Aah, Bisto.'

Pah.

Stormcrow, 'aagh' is quite good actually. Ta.

Argh doesn't work for me as a gasp of pain from a pirate either. [EDIT: Like Boneman,] it conjures up Noah Beery, "Argh, Jim lad."

Aagh! is brilliant. Exclamation mark needed for pain/shock. Otherwise it could be post-coital.

Last edited:
So that's where the phrase, "Bite your tongue" comes from.

But I agree that a bitten-off swear word (using, appropriately, an em-dash) could very well work here: the resort to a swear word indicates the unpleasant nature of the interruption; the fact that the character cannot complete the word gives an indication of just how bad the pain is: beyond (even swear) words.

An Argh injury is one that is more serious than an ouch injury, like a pin prick or a burned finger tip, but less serious than a life threatening or permanent injury, such as getting impaled on a sword or getting a limb cut off. So something like getting an arm slashed with a knife.

Most people don't actually go Argh! immediately after the wound is inflicted. There's usually a slight delay as the injury registers. This is extended if the character is on an adrenaline rush, excited, in fear, just been jogging round the park or whatever. The exception might be if it is a total out of the blue cold surprise, like being bitten by the dog on the back of the leg from behind whilst chatting with a friend

The final piece of the puzzle is where the reader's PoV is. If the PoV character is getting the injury inflicted on them, they are probably not going to be conscious of the pain noises they are making. Again, if the PoV character is not expecting anything, the sudden "Argh!" might be just as jarring

So I think on this one, more context is needed to see whether it reads naturally

I've gone for: "[FONT=&quot]I'm fine, we're just having a little chat, so it's nothing for you to—" He cried out in pain and spat out a curse. [/FONT]

I tend to save time and combine the crying out and curse. F**k, or F**ker usually, but also variations of and other naughty words vicars wouldn't use.

Especially when stubbing toes on door frames or banging kneecaps on an immovable hard object. Angry swearing at the pain does seem to help with the recovery.

However what you've written Mouse is fine and I think is much better than trying to put an 'aaargh' in.

I use Argh! sometimes in fiction, but only for (attempts at) comedy.

When it comes to writing as 'me', I do like a good Argh! And Aaah! And, naturally, an Aarrrrr, for days at sea.

How about 'he yelped in pain'? If it's Ambrose, I reckon he's a yelp-er. If not, stick with the more manly stuff. :p

The exception might be if it is a total out of the blue cold surprise, like being bitten by the dog on the back of the leg from behind whilst chatting with a friend

Have you been reading my frustrations post? :D

I can say definitively that I did NOT say "argh" or anything else printable when I was bitten by a dog on the back of the leg from behind (where else?) whilst chatting with a friend. It was most assuredly a few swear words, some of them possibly bitten off (by me, not the dog) when I realized my friend does not talk that way, and particularly not in front of her child.

Very good question. Personally I go for describing but I see your conundrum.

Perhaps take all lessons learned here and produce a Writer's Aide - the Great Argh! Debate

What age is your target audience? I'd use sounds for younger groups, and a short description for those older. In the Star Wars books, the first one describes R2-D2 as emotional responses, in the book for ROTJedi the author spells out "Ooieeeekk!" and I don't like it as much.

If it's an actual cry of pain, I think describing it works better than spelling it out. In describing it you could write about just what it is the character's feeling, and express it in a way that's far more emotive and graphic than plain ol' "Aargh!" might be. ;)

That said, if you do want to spell it out - for any reason, not just a reaction to pain - you could try putting it in bold or italics?

Aargh!!

I think doing that makes it stand out as a sound rather than stand out as a word.

Thank you all! I'm liking hearing what you guys use too!

I generally say a lot worse. :p And I suspect the character might to; what's wrong with a bitten off swear word, Mouse?

Nought. I may still do this!

However what you've written Mouse is fine and I think is much better than trying to put an 'aaargh' in.

Ta. Yep, the sound effect is gone. ;)

How about 'he yelped in pain'? If it's Ambrose, I reckon he's a yelp-er. If not, stick with the more manly stuff. :p

Oh yes! Or a squealer. ;)

Ok, so I'm going to take the first 'out' out so it's:
[FONT=&quot]"I'm fine, we're just having a little chat, so it's nothing for you to—" He cried in pain and spat out a curse.
[/FONT]
So the yelling and the cursing seems almost simultaneous (get me, big word!).
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

People tend to delay saying something about being hit for at least a split second after the hit, unless they were actually in the middle of a word. I think that unless you were wirting comedy, you'd want to interrupt the dialogue with a description first, otherwise you'll jar the reader.

Normally, I would only put a sound effect in without explanation in comedy.

For example, if your next word was to be worry, then someone hit may say .."there's nothing for you to waaaowch! --" He was rudely interrupted by a blow the the face by a wet carp. Not just any carp, mind you, but the legendary 'Old Smokey'; a 30 pound monster from the depths of Lake Tonango. Our hero was definitely put out of sorts, but not nearly so much as 'Old Smokey' was by the enitre affair...