Actors and Characters

Yog-Sothoth

To me the Lannisters and Starks are all well casted, and since I read the books after the HBO show, their faces popped up each time I read one of the povs of the characters they're playing. However there remain plenty of characters in the subsequent books that in my mind look different from what probably will be casted by HBO for the coming seasons, for example:

Stannis in my head is Ben Cross (see First Knight):

orig_24711_en.jpg

Davos - Kenneth Brannagh:

kenneth_branagh_1270012.jpg

I wanted to post this in the section for the tv-show, but it's pretty dormant, so please can it stay here?

Post your visual representation of the characters in the subsequent books.

Wow, that is almost precisely how I've always pictured Stannis. Davos is close enough for me that if you showed me the picture first and then asked me to guess which POV character it was I would have probably chosen Davos.

Hi guys this is my first post, popping my forum cherry here but loved the chatter going on so gotta get involved. Totally agree that pic looks very stannis, who is my fave non pov and branagh as davos actually really suits tho I still think liam cunningham is superbly well cast in the role, Kenneth has a touch of class while cunningham looks lowborn and very mm onion

Welcome Iron Captain!

I have to say, looks wise anyway, Ben Cross is the Stannis in my head!

I'm still peeved that Jaime isn't good-looking enough IMHO. (Ahem!)

I like Ben Cross for Stannis, but Kenneth Brannagh isn't how I picture Davos. He doesn't look weather-beaten enough, to me. And I picture him with dark hair, for some reason. It might say he's blond in the text somewhere, but I must have skipped over that and picture a dark-haired, ruddy-cheeked kind of guy.

PS Welcome to the forums Iron Captain, glad you decided to join in :)

I also pictured Davos with dark hair, but Brannagh has a good plain face like I would expect on him.

I read the books first, so I did have some different pictures in my mind than what some of the actors fulfilled, but the only one that was really off for me was the Hound. Dany bothered me at first, but she grew into the role by the end of the series.

I thought Cersei should have been more bodacious, but I thought the acting was good and made me a little more sympathetic than I would have been. Same for Catelyn. Joffrey didn't seem like he would hold much interest for Sansa (who seemed a bit less delicate than I pictured). But the Joffrey character inspired the correct feelings of disgust.

Arya was a delightful match, as was Peter Dinklage. (although he could have been more blonde too) Sean Bean looked good to me. King Robert seemed about right and addyed to my understanding of the character. Viserys, Varys and Sam seemed "right" too.

The guy who played Sawyer on "Lost" would have been the perfect Jaime Lannister... He has the look and attitude Jaime had in the books. But the guy who play Jaime on the show is a good fit also... He is a very good actor and can come off as a serious a$$hole... Jaime all the way...

Bean was the perfect Ned Stark... You couldn't do better than that... The lady who play Cat is a very good actress as well but I imagined Cat prettier... But how much of a a$$hole she was to Jon, the lady on the show fit her better than my imagination...

And Dinkage as Tyrion... You couldn't do better...

I agree garion. I did think about Josh Holloway (Sawyer) for Jaime too. He's got the look (i.e. Hot!!) :)

I don't much like the way Cersei was portrayed in the show. I'm not knocking Lena Headley, as I think she was just following the Director's wishes. She got the stuck up, 'better-than-you' part of Cersei's character nailed, but I think Cersei also has a seductive, sexy side and I feel this was missing. I love this picture of Cersei. I think it completely captures how she should be. She gorgeous and sexy, but is she giving you a 'Come Hither' look, or is it a 'Get lost, scum' look? I have no idea who the artist is, but I think this pic is fabulous.

Ned, Tyrion, Varys, Littlefinger and Arya especially were all fabulous. I didn't like the actress who played Catelyn at first, but I really came round to her after a few episodes. I thought she was too old and unattractive initially, but in the end she totally owned the role of Catelyn.

For me Josh Holloway looks really similar with Waldau... The only difference being that personally I believe Waldau is a better actor and is better for the role considering the character's development.

Women I say...impossible to please them. Superficial creatures! :D

For me Josh Holloway looks really similar with Waldau... The only difference being that personally I believe Waldau is a better actor and is better for the role considering the character's development.

Women I say...impossible to please them. Superficial creatures! :D

Being a connoisseur of grungy guys, I would agree that Josh Holloway and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau may look superficially similar. But when it comes to hotness, they're in different leagues. (And Jaime should be hot!)

Men ... they have no clue! :p:D

Being a connoisseur of grungy guys, I would agree that Josh Holloway and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau may look superficially similar. But when it comes to hotness, they're in different leagues. (And Jaime should be hot!)

Men ... they have no clue! :p:D

Josh Holloway would been the perfect Jaime... He looks just like Jaime is described in the books... Green contact and you couldn't get a better Jaime...

And when he played Sawyer in the beginning of "Lost", most didn't like him... He was a prick... But as the show went on, you started liking Sawyer more and more just like Jaime is like more and more with each book.

Josh Holloway just have the looks and Attitude of Jaime in the books... The guy play him now is good. And excellent actor... But in my mind, Josh Holloway will always be Jaime...