Crop Circles

anyone who is seriously prepared to approach the whole subject of 'UFOs' with an open mind

Would you still consider someone "open minded" if they came away from this video unconvinced that we've been visited by ETs? Just curious, as that phrase is a common bit of rhetoric. "You want the best for your family, right?"

Also, endorsements from celebrity or "trained" authority do not prove anything—unidentified sightings are still unidentified. Nothing more. Yet it seems to be the default position of those who want to believe in ETs that if a sighting is unidentified, then it must be an alien spacecraft. (Again, the exclusion principle.)

The first contact with an extra-terrestrial civilization will be a historic event. I have no preconceptions about whether it will save the world or doom it. The actual events may take so long to unfold that the general public will grow bored with the subject. My one bias is that I doubt first contact will be their arrival here, buzzing our moon flights and capital cities, stomping grass and hiding behind bushes, or brazenly stepping out in a D.C. park followed by a giant silver robot.

Would you still consider someone "open minded" if they came away from this video unconvinced that we've been visited by ETs? Just curious, as that phrase is a common bit of rhetoric. "You want the best for your family, right?"

Also, endorsements from celebrity or "trained" authority do not prove anything—unidentified sightings are still unidentified. Nothing more. Yet it seems to be the default position of those who want to believe in ETs that if a sighting is unidentified, then it must be an alien spacecraft. (Again, the exclusion principle.)

The first contact with an extra-terrestrial civilization will be a historic event. I have no preconceptions about whether it will save the world or doom it. The actual events may take so long to unfold that the general public will grow bored with the subject. My one bias is that I doubt first contact will be their arrival here, buzzing our moon flights and capital cities, stomping grass and hiding behind bushes, or brazenly stepping out in a D.C. park followed by a giant silver robot.

It's your life, mate ... :)

It's your life, mate ... :)

Meaning what? That if I don't "believe" in extra-terrestrials on speculative "evidence," I must be a close-minded dullard doomed to a life of boredom? Let me rephrase your earlier question: Would you rather know the truth of a situation, or know nothing but lies so long as they cater to your fantasies?

Basilisk.jpg

The students who confessed on the BBC doco to doing it, then demonstrated how they did it. OK, there was no clock running. But they designed a pattern using their computer program, and then rehearsed their actions as a team. Then they went out after dark, and in less than one night created a very detailed (and rather pretty) pattern. To do this, they got permission from the farmer, and no doubt, the BBC paid the farmer.

Guys.
There is no need to postulate aliens. That is just plain irrational. This is the kind of thing that can easily be done by clever pranksters. The students who confessed were clearly very clever, and had excellent computer skills for designing patterns, and planning the easiest way to create those patterns.

The confessions on TV have pretty much proven that the crop circles were done by human pranksters. Any other hypothesis has to be regarded as very, very, very improbable.

Meaning what? That if I don't "believe" in extra-terrestrials on speculative "evidence," I must be a close-minded dullard doomed to a life of boredom? Let me rephrase your earlier question: Would you rather know the truth of a situation, or know nothing but lies so long as they cater to your fantasies?

Basilisk.jpg

No, no Metryq -- this is an open discussion. If you keep taking things personally that's up to you, It's not my intention, neither can I prevent it, ok?

Whatever you think is your business, not mine ... kindly allow me the same freedom :)

EDIT: skeptical, you're probably right about the crop-circles ...

Last edited:
Can I just point out that there have been a number of huge assumptions made in this thread that need further scrutiny:
  1. All Students are drunken (some might be teetotal.)
  2. Students can get out of bed at sunrise (or even before Noon.)
  3. Students can do real physical work in fields (with or without wooden planks.)

Also could I point out that when I was at University students painted a Zebra Crossing on the M1 and nobody noticed!
(though the M1 was a bit quieter then.)

Heh, hee good points Dave.
When, exactly, did crop circles begin? Probably back around the time of '1st contact' with aliens who have arrived here, recently.
Recently. These are the ones rumored to make crop circles, if not a gang of sober students (impossible!).
There are no ancient records of crop circles, not a one. There are hundreds of sightings of the silver saucer, dating back to ancient times.
A decent UFO documentary is 'Out of the Blue.'
It may well be that there has been 1st contact AND second contact, and we now await the influx of many others.
Another weird book you may wish to peruse, is 'The Case for the UFO' - M. Jessup. It has handwritten annotations, supposedly from two disparate individuals, who seem to know everything about huge ancient UFO wars etc. etc.
Extreme, but a good read because the author asks all the right questions, and compiles a lot of unusual events which may not even have been traditionally connected to UFOs.
Of course, one can never lose sight of the fact that human beings started trying to build flying saucers quite some time ago. But if we are to believe ancient historical records, there's always been something else up there.

Do they? I've never really studied any crop circles, but some are mighty impressive. Still, if humans can't catch inebriated students illegally defacing private property, what chance have they at will-o-th-wisp UFOs?

I think you would find that the students making crop circles are stone cold sober throughout the action.

At the end of the post-crop circle party - that is another matter!

I think you would find that the students making crop circles are stone cold sober throughout the action.

At the end of the post-crop circle party - that is another matter!

Yes, it's true that

1) Crop-circles have become more and more complex over the years
2) They almost all occur in England
3) There are always tractor tracks
4) The few 'snow-circles' on You Tube are very crude
5) Graffiti artists, for instance, also come up with amazingly complicated, well planned and impressively large creations overnight and no-one suggests extra-terrestrial technology
6) There are obviously some very clever and creative people out there

Too clever, too creative, too much time on their hands.
Why do this? Are only English students doing this?
Where would students get a tractor? Why not a car?
Why not look at satellite imaging to catch the guilty transgressors?
They are moving a tractor around the country or renting a different one each time?
So many questions.

What tractor? Why do they need a tractor?

No, it's just the access the area without leaving tracks in the barley, or whatever -- that's the problem with making snow-circles you see? Read mosaix' and harebrain's earlier posts ...

Why not look at satellite imaging to catch the guilty transgressors?

Someone has been watching Enemy of the State, I see. Although data storage and analysis is becoming easier as computers become more sophisticated, I seriously doubt that high resolution scans of everything are made 24/7. Assuming such continuous scans are made, maybe we could also catch every single person who was speeding or running a stop sign. </sarc>

I'm surprised no one has blamed crop circles on global warming. It's the root cause for everything else.

but it would be nice to know 'we're not alone'.

Now there we can agree, RJM. :)

No one responded to my earlier robot idea. I can't find many hits on Google relating robots and crop circles either. But wouldn't it actually be fairly easy for some robotics researchers to set off a crawling machine to flatten wheat in a programmed pattern?

Great idea. I know that there are programmable vacuum cleaners and I believe that there are programmable lawn mowers. Not beyond the wit of man to adapt such devices with a roller...

Not sure what they are implying there, RJM. So something quite small looks a little like something very large. That doesn't mean they were created by the same processes.

When NASA publish similar photos of, say, liquid flows on Titan and Earth, they are of the same scale and so we can make assumptions about similar process being involved.