John Brunner- A brag.

Cool, really really cool. Where's the monitor?

Er, I don't know. I just figured you plug it into a late 60's trinitron telly.;)

JD- The title is About John Brunner and it says its printed in 1970, issued by Brunner Fact&Fiction Ltd (A name repeated on a sticker on the rear of the typewriter--I'd thought it some personal joke of his, but looking at the pamphlet's small print suggests it was more than that.)

I guess these pamphlets must have been handed out as calling cards/ personal resumes. The last page gives addresses for representatives in London, New york and Hollywood. There's a short (but longer than the back of a book) biog, including quotes of Brunner's about his work and a detailed account of his work with CND (He wrote the lyrics to one of their best known anthems--'The H-bombs Thunder') and the RAF.

It also mentions he started the Martin Luther King award the day after MLK was assassinated, but gives no indication of what the award was for.

I'd love to be able to put it up on the net for you all to see (The things a PR tool, so it'd be serving its purpose, if a little belatedly!) but I'm a total luddite. I wouldn't know about what software to use to make it legible. But I have got a scanner so I'll talk to someone who's techie.

I'd love to be able to put it up on the net for you all to see (The things a PR tool, so it'd be serving its purpose, if a little belatedly!) but I'm a total luddite. I wouldn't know about what software to use to make it legible. But I have got a scanner so I'll talk to someone who's techie.

Best check on the legal status as well.... But I can't help wondering how many of those are out there, and if any made their way into libraries....

Congratulations! Do you have the paperwork to prove it was actually his typewriter? I would find out which novels/stories he typed with that typewriter and try to get a signed indication thereof by a surviving relative. That's my suggestion, or maybe I just watch too much of Pawn Stars on the History Channel. :confused:

I've got a letter from his widow to that sort of effect, however no list of what books/ stories were done on it. However it dates from what some would call his golden age- cusp of 60's/ 70's. That's a superficial and, indeed, wrong reading of his career, mind.

I haven't asked his wife what he wrote on it, because I've no idea how to, I don't want to be a nuisance, and, worse still, I might discover he only ever wrote The Steamboat Race on it. Not a big fan.

But thanks for your congrats, pal!

hi there my friend, i bought the other typewriter that belonged to him from the late 70s onwards, unlike you though i bought it for profit though after researching brunner i may keep it and start collecting his first editions to accompany it. also i know what you mean about asking his wife, i too have thought about this but dont want to mither her, in the letter there is a mention of his publishers/agents name, maybe try him as they seemed to be quite friendly.

Last edited:
Jim, I believe you'll be at alt.fiction. If he can sort out his current hotel room problems, Ian Watson will be there as well. Make a point of chatting to him; he and John were good friends -- John and his first wife would often spend Christmas with Ian and his family.

Yeah, so he told me. Apparently Brunner would roast a formidable Christmas Partridge! But thanks for mentioning this, chap. You can pretty much count on the fact I'll jabber on about my cherished prize to poor old Ian!

I'll see you there!

I've got a letter from his widow to that sort of effect, however no list of what books/ stories were done on it. However it dates from what some would call his golden age- cusp of 60's/ 70's. That's a superficial and, indeed, wrong reading of his career, mind.

I haven't asked his wife what he wrote on it, because I've no idea how to, I don't want to be a nuisance, and, worse still, I might discover he only ever wrote The Steamboat Race on it. Not a big fan.

But thanks for your congrats, pal!
i think i can ease your fears on the steamboat race, i have been informed that that was written on mine. i was going to read all of his books but i think this one i will give a miss as the person that informed me also was not keen .

is yours the corona 250? if so i am very jealous , he wrote stand on zanzibar on that one .also, it was his favourite typewriter(like you dont already know?) but if you dont i have a few interesting links for you. ps i am onto how you upload so i will post pic asap

Disaster! I'd completely forgotten about that last bit in Zanzibar! Mine isn't the 250, its a slightly, very slightly, later model, so he could not have written Z on it (Well, maybe the second or third draft but, hey, I could just be kidding myself here!).

Oh well, I can only hope he wrote The Sheep look up on it!

Good luck with sticking a piccy up. It took me ages to work out how to do it, as well.

did you know if you google john brunners typewriter you are top of the search results, now there,s fame for ya.

'NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF EDITORS'

hehe - I wonder if he wrote The Dramaturgies of Yan on that one. ;)

Nice find that.