Australian Fiction

GOLLUM

I've noticed recently that both when discussing privately with various members and here on the Forum that there's been a reasonable amount of interest expressed in Australian fiction, including SFF.

My intention of posting this thread is to feature reviews, discussion etc.. on any Australian authors whose works you may have come across.

I confess that although I have a strong interest in both SFF/Horror and for want of a better term "World Literature" that I have not read as much as I would like to of my own country's fiction.

To this end, I'll be reading the myriad of anthologies, collections and "classic" novels I do own but to a large extent am yet to have found the time to read. My interest extends beyond just SFF and Horror to literature in general and thus my focus will be relatively broad in this respect and include both "aboriginal", colonial and post-colonial fiction.

So please, if there's any Australian authors and their works that you have read in the past feel free to mention them here.

I won't be able to post anything for another couple of weeks as I need to begin trawling through my various texts first and even then this is intended to be a periodic contribution, at least where I'm concerned.

I may also consider expanding this thread to include the South Pacific Australasian region incl. New Zealand, PNG and surrounding islands.

I'm afraid I have little to nothing to contribute at this point. However, will be interested in hearing more on the subject, as I am becoming quite intrigued from some of the reviews of things I've come across....

The very reason a thread such as this may prove useful would you not say?

I will post some useful links incl. online stories but the majority of my contributions will stem from reviews of my current collection(s) and individual novels, which is representative rather than exhaustive in nature.

OH....and I'll also include Children and YA classics here too. As we know, a lot of these stories are well worth looking into well into adulthood.

The most recent novel I've read by an Australian is Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan, a YA steampunk novel that was very good, and quite well recieved around the world from what I understand. It is an alternate history of the early days of World War I, in a Europe divded into the Clankers, those nations like Germany and Austria who rely on mechanical means of transport and warfare (think steampunkish mechs and airships), and the Darwinists, nations like Britain and France who follow the teachings of Darwin, who in this reality unlocked the secrets of the genome and began a wave of splicing creatures together. The Darwinists have a healthy disregard for all things mechanical, and the Clankers vice versa. The story focusses on two main characters, an orphaned (and fictional) prince of the Hapsburgs on the run from his own countrymen, and a British girl pretending to be a boy so as to follow in her father's and brother's footsteps and become an airman in the Royal Navy. Not a lot distinctly Australian about this one, but for the presence of a Tasmanian tiger, but a very imaginative and well-executed tale - I'll certainly be looking out for the sequel when it hit stores.

I've also been intrigued by a new series forthcoming from Brisbane writer Rowena Cory Daniells (one of John Jarrold's stable of authors, I believe) called King Rolen's Kin. I'm not sure of the publishing date but I think it's fairly soon - if I manage to get a hold of it and read it, I'll pop a little review in here.

This is definitely an interesting thread. My reading, from an Australian standpoint, has consisted of Tim Winton and Matthew Reilly.

I saw an article a few weeks ago about a 92 year old man that want's to start up a sci-fi club on the Gold Coast. I have been meaning to go up and meet the old fellow to have a chat. He taught himself to read with pulp SF mags during the 30's and has read SF since. When I meet him, I'll have to probe his knowledge of Australian authors.

I did manage to find an extremely extensive list of Australian SF authors at this webpage. Though very little in the way of practical information.

Recently read two novels by Sean Williams (who, coincidentally, has just taken over from me as the Overseas Regional Director of SFWA), the first two of his Astropolis series:

Saturn Returns (2007)
Earth Ascendant (2008)

Throughly enjoyed them both and fully intend to read the third. There are a few yawning holes when it comes to credibility, but the actual story is good enough that I was happy to note those without letting them ruin my enjoyment.

These are star-spanning, century-spanning space opera with several original touches and some well crafted characters.

Well Sean is a fairly prominent figure within the SFF community here, although I've never met him personally.

In fact I recently picked up his Best Of collection Magic Dirt, so I'll add this to the items to review here.

That's a useful list Diggler. I have an extensive SF anthology celebrating the previous 50 years of SF in Australia, so I'm sure I'll be able to elaborate on some of those authors. I think Knivesout has that same copy as well.

That fellow from the Gold Coast sounds like he would be an interesting person to meet! We have an SF club here in Melbourne formed just after WWII, which incidentally is the second oldest SFF club in the world. The majority of folk on the organizing committee for this year's WorldCon may be found amongst its members.

I've heard of Scott Westerfeld but wasn't aware he had written Steampunk. That sounds like an interesting novel the way you describe it Cull.

Thank you for the interest shown in this thread so far. I was concerned I may have misjudged the interest such a topic would garner but it would appear there are enough people interested in this to give it some legs.

I would love to get my hands on that anthology you mentioned, what's it called Gollum? I also had no idea that the Hugo award winning Encyclopedia of Science Fiction was written by two Australians either.

I have managed to track down The Pacific Book of Australian Science-Fiction and it's sequel. Just ordered them and hopefully should be here next week sometime.

The most recent novel I've read by an Australian is Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan, a YA steampunk novel ... etc.

This sounds very intriguing. I will have to look it up (and hope that the US is part of the world that has been, um, well-receiving it).

Good thread, Mr. G. An excellent way of letting those of us on the other end of the globe know what is available.

I have seen Scott Westerfield book around,people hailing it the thing is you assumed he was another brit YA author you think about Pullman and co.

I think the only australian fiction i have read is books by Gillian Rubinstein under her Lian Hearn name.One of my fav authors after The Otori Tales, a good storyteller, with surprisingly good prose.A good thread idea i dont know much about Australian authors except Greg Egan who appears in one of my anthologies at home, the mentioned Lian Hern and Sonya Hartnett.

Sonya Hartnett is almost a house hold name here atleast name wise after she won Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award in 2008. When you win an award named after a Swedish Icon you get non-stop tv news play,many tv programs,radio shows about her work.

I would love to get my hands on that anthology you mentioned, what's it called Gollum? I also had no idea that the Hugo award winning Encyclopedia of Science Fiction was written by two Australians either.

I have managed to track down The Pacific Book of Australian Science-Fiction and it's sequel. Just ordered them and hopefully should be here next week sometime.
The book is called The Best Australian SF Writing - 50 Years celebration - Ed. Rob Gerrand. This covers SF from the 1950s through to the early 2000s being published in 2004 and is probably considered the preeminent collection of Australian SF in the post-war era. Notable contributors include Jack Dann, Greg Egan, Sean Williams, Sean McMullen, Margo Lanagan, A. Bertram Chandler, Greg Egan, Peter Carey, Paul Collins, Lucy Sussex, Jack Wodhams and Stephen Dedman.

Those Pacific Books were published in the late 60's and therefore don't represent as comprehensive a collection of contemporary SF as the other collection does. Still a well regarded series though.....:)

Probably the first landmark SF collection was Australian SF compiled by the legendary Van Ikin. This covers SF in Australia from 1845 - 1975 and provides a good historical timeline for the development of the Genre in this country. I have a copy of this too and will be referencing it in this thread.

Sonya Hartnett is almost a house hold name here atleast name wise after she won Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award in 2008. When you win an award named after a Swedish Icon you get non-stop tv news play,many tv programs,radio shows about her work.
Funnily enough I've met Sonya before. She was born not that far from my family home here in Melbourne in a neighbouring suburb. She's regarded as one of our finest writers of the post-war era and writes a lot of YA and children's literature. I'm not all-together surprised to discover she is a recipient of the Astrid Lindgren award. On a side note I have the Pippi Longstocking books Conn as part of my library's Classic Children section...:)

I have the complete Lian Hearn Tales Of The Otori sequence in lovely HB edns.

A bit like everyone else I haven't read a lot of Australian fiction and pretty much nothing recent (though to be fair for the first time since I was a kid I don't think I have been into a book shop, not counting 2nd hand, in the last 12 months :eek:).

A while back I did read the Year's Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Vol 2. Which would have been for about 2006, wasn't too bad, a bit hit and miss as with most anthologies I've read but certainly a few readable stories.

Going back a lot further I read a few series by Martin Middleton which were ok. Nothing really stand out, I suppose maybe generic fantasy? But some good characters and at least on par with a lot of fantasy I read early on. I don't know what happened but he released 2 linked series, a stand alone and I think another series in the space of about 10 years and I don't think I ever saw anything by him again.

Outside of SFF (and I suppose bordering fiction to differing degrees) Shindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally was excellent and I also really enjoyed Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang.

A while back I did read the Year's Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Vol 2. Which would have been for about 2006, wasn't too bad, a bit hit and miss as with most anthologies I've read but certainly a few readable stories.

Outside of SFF (and I suppose bordering fiction to differing degrees) Shindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally was excellent and I also really enjoyed Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang.
Well that's part of a new ongoing series actually. They're up to Vol 4 now that I saw when I was at Minotaurs last weekend. May have a Vol 5 out, not sure....I probably won't get them as I have other complementary "spanning" anthologies already.

Never heard of Middleton. Keneally and esp. Carey are two of our best contemporary writers/contributors.

This sounds very intriguing. I will have to look it up (and hope that the US is part of the world that has been, um, well-receiving it).
UMM... to clarify Teresa, Westerfield actually appears to be an American writer who divides his time between Sydney and New York, being married to an Australian writer. Assuming he's not become a naturalized citizen that is.... In other words it may not be too difficult to source an edn. of his work over there.

Also Leviathan is the first part in a new series. Book 2 Behemoth is due for release this year.

He along with Sonya Hartnett were at last year's Melbourne Writer's festival, although I'm not familiar with his work. I'll look out for him at this year's event though....:)

UMM... to clarify Teresa, Westerfield actually appears to be an American writer who divides his time between Sydney and New York, being married to an Australian writer. Assuming he's not become a naturalized citizen that is.... In other words it may not be too difficult to source an edn. of his work over there.

Interesting - I've only ever seen him referred to as Australian, and having read he won an Aurealis just recently... We do like claiming those foriegn-born go-getters, though!

EDIT: Incidentally and out of curiosity, Gollum, you might be able to answer this - how does one qualify for the Aurealis awards, then? Leviathan won in YA this year, but Westerfeld isn't Australian and it wasn't published by an Australian publisher...

Last edited:
Sandra McDonald:
The Outback Stars
The Stars Down Under
The Stars Blue Yonder

Sandra McDonald

I borrowed the first two from the library. I think the book blurb said she is Australian - Fantastic Fiction doesn't have any biographical details. The "standard" part of the book - people, spaceships is not especially Australian as far as I remember (read them last year). The "mysterious" part is based on aboriginal myths (or looked like it to me).

Good stories, enjoyed them. On my "must buy my own copy" list and also must get hold of book three and see how it ends.

Incidentally and out of curiosity, Gollum, you might be able to answer this - how does one qualify for the Aurealis awards, then? Leviathan won in YA this year, but Westerfeld isn't Australian and it wasn't published by an Australian publisher...
You only need to have permanent residency status to be eligible. Westerfield is a permanent resident whilst not being a nautralised Australian.

The book is called The Best Australian SF Writing - 50 Years celebration - Ed. Rob Gerrand. This covers SF from the 1950s through to the early 2000s being published in 2004 and is probably considered the preeminent collection of Australian SF in the post-war era. Notable contributors include Jack Dann, Greg Egan, Sean Williams, Sean McMullen, Margo Lanagan, A. Bertram Chandler, Greg Egan, Peter Carey, Paul Collins, Lucy Sussex, Jack Wodhams and Stephen Dedman.

Those Pacific Books were published in the late 60's and therefore don't represent as comprehensive a collection of contemporary SF as the other collection does. Still a well regarded series though.....:)

Probably the first landmark SF collection was Australian SF compiled by the legendary Van Ikin. This covers SF in Australia from 1845 - 1975 and provides a good historical timeline for the development of the Genre in this country. I have a copy of this too and will be referencing it in this thread.

I'll have to track down both of these books you've mentioned, because they really do sound like something I would find essential. Age really doesn't bother me. As you may have noticed, I'm more interested in the oldies anyway :)

Well, I see that the Westerfeld book is available through amazon in hardcover, but the paperback will appear in August. I will look for it then, if I don't find it at the library first. (It looks like all the libraries in the area have it, but it's either checked out or on hold. So it does look like it's being well-received!)

Back