Australian Fiction

Thomas Keneally also wrote The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (won the Booker Prize). Plus, the semi-biographical A Commonwealth of Thieves: The Improbable Birth of Australia which covers the introduction of convicts between 1787-1792.

I have both of these books in the house, though haven't gotten to reading them yet.

Another one to mention is Adrian Bedford. I have seen Time Machines Repaired While U Wait in the university bookshop and have been meaning to snaffle a copy. Has anyone read it?

This was supposedly up for best SF novel at the Aurealis Awards. So it may be worthwhile having a look :)

GOLLUM said:
So which authors/books from the list(s) have you so far read Teresa including those you didn't realise hailed from the Antipodes? I'm intrigued to say the least!....

Nix, Douglass, Dart-Thornton, and Canavan, without any notion they were Australian. (I don't always pay attention to author bios, even when they are included.)

Nix, Douglass, Dart-Thornton, and Canavan, without any notion they were Australian. (I don't always pay attention to author bios, even when they are included.)
OK, thanks for sharing. They're four of our strongest speculative writers.

Cecilia, whom I've met on several occasions, is a particular favourite of mine with her use of lyrical prose and myriad references to Celtic mythology, her Bitterbynde trilogy being a top 10 Australian speculative classic IMO. OH, and a super nice lady to boot....:)

Garth Nix probably doesn't need much of an introduction to people here but I am planning on reviewing some of his lesser known works. Sara Douglass, I really enjoyed her original Axis trilogy but felt things ran out of steam a little after that and like Nix will be returning to some of her lesser known works internationally in 2010. Trudi Canavan is good but my least favourite of that quartet.

Actually I should mention our very own K.J. Bishop, whom I know is well regarded here and wrote the quite marvelous The Etched City. She's another whom I keep in contact with and I believe is planning on getting something new out towards the end of this year or early next, possibly a short story collection.

Makes note to chase up on Bedford's novel....:rolleyes:

You know, I may have known K. J. Bishop was Australian, but I forgot. Anyway, of all those I've mentioned, I like her work the best. I read The Etched City when it first came out in that edition with the yellow cover -- I think it was from a small press. But at that point nobody else had heard of it. I was glad to see it get so much attention later, because it's a wonderfully imaginative book. You know it has to be something special to win me over when it's so relentlessly grim.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Teresa and I'm sure Bishop will be happy to hear praise emanating from such a hard task master as yourself......;)

I think I would name it a modern Australian classic of SFF....:)

I'm sure Bishop will be happy to hear praise emanating from such a hard task master as yourself...

Well, I don't know about that. But it is hard for a story that is so dark and violent to please me.

Although saying "I don't usually read that sort of thing, but I liked this," is not always good news for a writer. It can be a rather hollow compliment. In this case I don't think it is. I think her prose is remarkably good and the depth and richness of her imagination extraordinary. (Plus ... I have a weakness for fantastical cities brilliantly described.)

Well that last comment was intended to be slightly tongue-in-cheek, hence the winking eye.

I totally agree with you on Bishop's abilities as a writer.

As soon as I find out more about that collection of hers (Black Dog) I'll be sure to post here....:)

Have to second Colin Thiele. I lived off of his books when I was younger. Just love them to pieces.

Indeed. Storm Boy, both the film and the book remain amongst my favourite childhood memories...the book was such a wonderfully evocative reminder of the innocence of youth heartbreakingly juxtaposed (moreso at the time that I read it) by the "harsh realities" of the adult world and the reconciliation with loss.

I happily recommend that novel (and film) to anyone here....:)

In fact other fine Australian films, many from books, which I would recommend include:

The Magic Pudding
Storm Boy
The Last Wish
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Chant Of Jimmy Blacksmith
Breaker Morant
The Getting Of Wisdom
Year Of Living Dangerously
Gallipoli
My Brilliant Career
Priscilla Queen Of The Desert
Rabbit Proof Fence
Sunday Too Far Away
Samson and Deliah
Ten Canoes
Lantana
Chopper
The Piano
Muriel’s Wedding
The Castle
The Man From Snowy River
The Year My Voice Broke
Newsfront
The Devil’s Playground
Bliss
The Black Balloon
Harvie Krumpet
Balibo
Mad Max (original)

In fact other fine Australian films, many from books, which I would recommend include:

Chopper

Chopper is an excellent movie, actually had no idea the main actor was Eric Bana until half way through, he looked so completely different to anything I had ever seen him in up to that point.

Marianne is a great Aussie author. Her novels are right at the top of any fan of action cyberpunk SF.

Marianne de Pierres :: Home

Simon Haynes Hal Spacejock series.
Published out of Western Australia.

The Hal Spacejock Series

Aussie movies; the list isn't complete without Stone.
Rumour is Quentin Taratino wants to do a remake.
Sandy Harbutt and he are supposed to be talking about it.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/stone/

If you're into motorcycles you need to watch Stone. It's far removed from the USA produced Biker Boyz type crap.

And Dead Heart with Bryan Brown is another gritty Aussie movie.

http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/dead-heart/

Last edited:
Kings In Grass Castles by Mary Durack is just one of a series which I really enjoyed.

"Kings in Grass Castles is about a pioneering family who opened up the Kimberley Region in Australia. It tells of them coming out from Ireland, and starting to explore the region. It then tells of them setting up cattle and sheep properties all over Australia, and the huge feat of driving huge herds of cattle across the continent. It tells of the hardships of setting up a home in the middle of nowhere, and then surviving with the native people, and any close (or within 500 kilometres) neighbours.

The main focus of the book is Patrick (or Patsy) Durack. He was the main force behind his family's success. His story is told by his grand-daughter, Mary Durck, who has written 15 books, as well as a number of short stories, poems, plays and film scripts.

Mary Durack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jennifer Rowe, author, as Emily Rodda of such titles as the Deltora Quest series, the Rowan of Rin series and Pigs Might Fly.The Fairy Realm, Raven Hill Mysteries

I've read the Deltora Quest, and even though a children's series, it was very well written and enjoyable.

The Wizard of Rondo has won 'Best Children's Novel' in the 2008 Aurealis Awards!

Chopper is an excellent movie, actually had no idea the main actor was Eric Bana until half way through, he looked so completely different to anything I had ever seen him in up to that point.

I've read a couple of Chopper Read's books, and also saw him at a spoken word concert a couple of years ago. When they first cast Eric Bana as Chopper, I was like, I dunno. Luckily, Bana turned out to be perfect for the role.

As for speculative fiction, can't forget John Marsden's Tomorrow series. Probably best explained as Red Dawn set in Australia.

Other Aussie books to film would include;

Nim's Island

Romulus My Father

We of the Never Never
Puberty Blues
Playing Beatie Bow (great book)
Walkabout
The Odd Angry Shot
Wake in Fright (Which has finally re-surfaced)
The Last Wave (Not an Aussie Author, though one of the very few supernatural novels based around Aboriginal culture)

Everett De Roche (an ex-pat American) has played a large part in story writing for Aussie cinema. He has written Patrick, Long Weekend, Snapshot, Harlequin, Roadgames and Razorback

Ah ha! I just remembered two that I did know were Australian when I read their books. (Slowly, slowly, the information emerges from the mental fog.)

Alison Croggon

D. M. Cornish

Both YA authors. How could I forget D. M. Cornish? I love his books.

Gollum,
Here are a couple of Australian writers that I really enjoy.

Jennifer Fallon- I recommend her Second Sons trilogy that begins with The Lion of Senet and her Tide Lords series.

One of my favourite authors as well Heather!:) Although I preferred Jennifer's first series The Demon Child Trilogy and then the Tide Lords

They will be on my 're-read list' :)

How could I forget D. M. Cornish? I love his books.
Well, happily enough D.M. is planning to attend this year's WorldCon, which will be his first and I'll be there to meet and greet. I'm looking forward to this as I've never met the author before.

Also Cornish will be appearing along with pretty much the who's who of Australian Fantasy in a new novella-based antholgoy entitled Australia's Legends Of Fantasy ed. Jack Dann & Johnathan Strahan. It's apparently scheduled for release in the second half of his year. Some of you who have been following this thread may be interested in obtaining a copy of this book. From the contributors I've seen it's a very impressive lineup.

Cecilia, whom I've met on several occasions, is a particular favourite of mine with her use of lyrical prose and myriad references to Celtic mythology, her Bitterbynde trilogy being a top 10 Australian speculative classic IMO. OH, and a super nice lady to boot....:)

She's one of my very favourite authors. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this thread Gol - it is definitely a good idea.

Back