I'm trying to find out witch books to start

Menion

ze Spaniard!
"And it was in that moment that their hearts withi
I am a huge fan of Authors like David Eddings, David Gemmell, Terry Brooks, Dave Duncan, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Terry Pratchett and a little of Brent Weeks and Peter V. Brett.
Would i like Steven Erikson?
I'm thinking of starting theese...

Malazan Book of the Fallen
1. Gardens of the Moon
2. Deadhouse Gates
3. Memories of Ice
4. House of Chains
5. Midnight Tides
6. The Bonehunters
7. Reaper's Gale
8. Toll the Hounds
9. Dust of Dreams

But if there are any better ones I should read before, to get to know Steven's writing?

Thanks in advice :D

I'm reading Toll the Hounds myself currently. I would suggest starting with GotM, and just be aware that Erikson's style is different from everyone else. You have to accept that there is a learning curve to understanding the world you are thrown into with all the different races, systems of magic, and large number of characters you won't be able to remember. It is very refreshing to have an author that assumes you have some intelligence and don't need everything explained to you one spoon-full at a time.

The only books I would interject into the reading order would be Ian C Esslemont's Night of Knives and Return of the Crimson Guard. This is a chronology from wikipedia, however I would still read at least GotM and DG before reading Night of Knives.
  • Night of Knives (1154)
  • Blood Follows (c. 1154)
  • The Lees of Laughter's End (c. 1154)
  • The Healthy Dead (c. 1158)
  • Gardens of the Moon (1163)
  • Deadhouse Gates, Midnight Tides, and Memories of Ice (1163-64, these three novels occur simultaneously)
  • House of Chains (1164, with a lengthy prologue section that takes place some years earlier)
  • The Bonehunters (1164-65)
  • Return of the Crimson Guard (c. 1165, just after The Bonehunters)
  • Reaper's Gale (c. 1165 or 1166)
  • Toll the Hounds (by internal evidence, c. 1169-70, but this conflicts with dates in other books)
  • Dust of Dreams (unknown, but after the events of Reaper's Gale)
  • The Crippled God (unknown)

Just a note before he was Steven Erikson he was Steve Lundin, and there's several stand alone novels of his you can read. I have a couple.

However Malazan I think will be seen as his major work unless he writes an entirely new sequence that is just as good.

Given the writers you currently list there you will definitely be in for a learning curve/info dump but almost everyone I know struggles with this before things begin to Gel. Normally by the end of Book 3 you're getting a good picture of his world.

For the record in reading SFF for more than 25 years now this is for me the best EPIC Fantasy series I've ever read bar none.

Do so. Worth checking out his earlier work but not that easy to find copies of I found.

Back