Trying to find Sci-fi short story where astronauts reach a wall at the egde of space

nrhllstrm

Hi everyone!
I’m on the hunt for a specific sci-fi book to give to my father as a Christmas gift. So I’m looking to you for help, hoping that someone might recognize the description.
I’m pretty sure it is a short story, published sometime before the millennium. It’s a story my dad often told me as a child, and it has come to mean a lot to the both of us. However, he can’t remember the title or who the author is.

The story goes: A group of astronauts are searching for the end of space. They finally reach a gigantic brick wall with a small gap (or perhaps a telescope) where you can look in to ”the end of space”. However, you have to pay a small fee to look trough it. The astronauts only have money to pay for one to look. One of them does, and when asked what’s on the other side he just replies ”nothing”. The others in the group question him further, but he is unable to describe it in any other way. I think that is when the story ends.

Let me know if it rings a bell, it would mean a lot to me!

Doesn’t sound familiar but brick wall? If it ain’t from the far seeing thirties it ought to have been.

"WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE"

The Quentulus Quazgar Mountains are found on the planet Preliumtarn of the famed Sevorbeupstry orbiting the Sun Zarss in Galactic Sector QQ7 Active J Gamma.

This isn't the story, alas. It's just the closest I could think of.