What Game Are You Currently Playing?

The two games I've settled on playing for now are Trails of Cold Steel 4 and Marvel's Midnight Suns. Being able to play one or t'other for an hour or two on the PC during the afternoon then continue on the Steam Deck in the evening is great.

On the SD they are both running really well, on a mixture of high and epic settings (apart from the shadows . . .). Cold Steel 4 is running at a locked 60fps, and Midnight Suns locked at 30fps. I could knock the settings down a little on the latter to get more fps, but it looks so good :LOL: It's ideal for me, as turn-based games are my thang.

I'll be interested to see how it runs a first person game, like Fallout 4, which I picked up in the sale.

I've been playing a bit more Fallout 4 myself (great game in my opinion). Gone to Nuka World fror new adventures and came across cave crickets for the first time. No problem, I thought. A few seconds later I was dead. Why the hell are these things so tough and deadly?

P.S. I just cannot get to grips with any kind of console control for FPS. It has to be keyboard and mouse for me (I have my own setup and never use WASD).

Doesn't the next gen update launch this week? I hope it doesn't break your game!

Doesn't the next gen update launch this week? I hope it doesn't break your game!
I bought the game from GOG and used a manual instal so I don't have to worry about autoupdate ruining my game. To be honest, looking at what's in the update, I'm not really that interested in it. A few performance improvements, some extra weapons etc.....meh.

Still, the soon to be released mod Fallout London may force me to update.

I bought the game from GOG and used a manual instal so I don't have to worry about autoupdate ruining my game. To be honest, looking at what's in the update, I'm not really that interested in it. A few performance improvements, some extra weapons etc.....meh.

Still, the soon to be released mod Fallout London may force me to update.

I think they've delayed that indefinitely because the update breaks all the mods . . .

I bought Airport CEO in a sale at GOG and I can't make up my mind about it. On one hand, I quite like these kinds of management games but, on the other, it's quite infuriating. The tutorial (no manual yet again...curses!) works up to a point but it's very easy to build yourself into a cul de sac and either have to demolish everything and rebuild (very expensive) or simply restart the game. I've had to restart a number of times after discovering that I've reached yet another insurmountable problem that wasn't made clear to me at the start.

The jury is most definitely still out but I do want to like this game.

Still playing Horizon Zero Dawn, which is absolutely superb. I adore the Faro Plague back story and i often feel quite melancholy with some of the holos, (but in a good way). The open world is fun, although i do struggle with the hunting lodge challenges. I'll play through again on a higher difficulty for sure.

I'm currently on the DLC of the Frozen Wilds. I never played this on my first play through, but it's really good, and the puzzles are challenging, but not too difficult.

When I first played Marvel's Midnight Suns I kind of bounced off it. I played 7 or 8 hours and then moved on to something else.

Picking it up again in the last couple of weeks I've fallen in love with it. It's actually a great game. Such a shame that it didn't sell well on release and so did not receive much support and is unlikely to get a sequel. I guess most people were hoping that it would be more in the style of Firaxis's previous XCOM games (I admit, I was one of those people), and checked out once it was revealed to be quite different. It's popularity seems to have grown since, especially as it is regularly on sale.

I'm now nearly 30 hours in. As card-based gameplay goes, it's far and away my favourite implementation of such a system (I'm not usually a fan). I'm finding the battles quite addictive and challenging. They definitely require more planning and tactical appreciation than I originally thought. This time, as I go deeper into the story, I'm finding the abbey sections enjoyable, too. I'm very pleasantly (and belatedly) surprised.

Incidentally, for those who did want a superhero game in the style of Firaxis's XCOM games, Capes is out next month. Pretty much a definite buy for me.

I see that Marvel's Midnight Suns is on sale for £17.49 right now. I thought about buying it a while back but changed my mind when I saw that it was 60Gb in size. I just can't be bothered with games that take up so much space. There comes a point where that kind of size eclipses game quality and just becomes a hassle. Ironically, increased file size tends to be because of bells and whistles that I never use. I always run on medium graphic settings to ensure good performance and I always turn off all music (not so much because of performance but because I've always found music in games to be about as enjoyable as a Bluebottle constantly buzzing around your face).

My policy is to avoid anything greater than 30Gb because, even with a 1Tb drive, I'm alarmed at how quickly I'm filling it up.

I just delete games I am unlikely to play again. I can always download them again at a later date. Saves space and allows me to play the games I want to play.

I just delete games I am unlikely to play again. I can always download them again at a later date. Saves space and allows me to play the games I want to play.
It's not so bad buying from somewhere like GOG because I can download and store the installer on an external HD to reinstall at my leisure but for the likes of Steam a reinstall means another few hours downloading again (unless I'm missing something fundamental about how Steam works). This is why I very rarely buy a game through Steam.

I think the sad thing is that 60GB is about half the size of a lot of AAA games these days. It makes it feel quite small, to me :LOL:

With Steam - I haven't tried it myself - but I believe you can back-up a game's files to a folder on another drive and restore them when you want them at a later date.

Or there's this, although it doesn't look like it would work with an external drive. Again, I haven't tried it.

1714382272928.png

I think the sad thing is that 60GB is about half the size of a lot of AAA games these days. It makes it feel quite small, to me :LOL:

With Steam - I haven't tried it myself - but I believe you can back-up a game's files to a folder on another drive and restore them when you want them at a later date.

Or there's this, although it doesn't look like it would work with an external drive. Again, I haven't tried it.

View attachment 117808
I think that maybe it might work. If I moved a game to the external drive using this function, it might be possible to plug in that drive only when I want to play that particular game. I might give that a try sometime.

I've been persevering with Airport CEO. It's okay but still infuriating me with its silly foibles. It has the usual game speed controls and one of them should advance an entire day when you click on it. But, I've never been able to do that because it won't operate if there are any aircraft activities and there seems to be activities all the time - even when all the planes are parked up and doing absolutely nothing.

It's still got my attention.....so far.

In other news, it appears the new Fallout 4 patch hasn't gone down well, causing more trouble than it's worth it seems. Glad I bought it on GOG.

Gone back to Wasteland 3. A mix of roughly Fallout, Divinity Original Sin 2, and XCOM. Very good stuff, lots of differing options, and a setting that's equal parts grim and silly.

I love Wasteland 3. Still haven't finished it, mind you. It's another one I plan to cross off the backlog on Steam Deck.

Midnight Suns continues to grab me. The first time I started it I remember I went and helped Spider-Man deal with Venom almost immediately. This time it's taken me over 20 hours to do that. I've been doing other side missions and exploring the abbey grounds to get to grips with the various gameplay systems more fully. I finally did the Spider-Man mission last night and it was a hell of a lot of fun kicking Venom's backside with a lot better skill cards than I had the first time around.

I played Wasteland 2 for a while but found it incredibly difficult. I do like these types of games but it was well above my skill level so definitely no Wasteland 3 for me. Meanwhile, I need a break from Airport CEO so I've finally taken the advice from @.matthew. and I've been watching some Rimworld tutorial videos. I'm finally starting to see where I've gone wrong so I'll fire that up again soon and give it (yet) another try.

Bugg, the Wasteland 3 DLC is heavily discounted currently. Sale ends on the 8th, I think.