What Game Are You Currently Playing?

Yes, I think it's the kind of ironic-not-ironic sort of thing you see with Warhammer's space marines. People endlessly saying "Destroy the heretic!" or asking each other if they want to know more. As with quite a lot of video game humour, it all feels a bit tired.

On the subject of space marines, I played a turn-based strategy game called Deathwatch. It's fine: not amazing, but it does what it says on the tin, and you can give your soldiers silly names. May the Emperor protect you, Brother-Sergeant Assorted Creams.

I finished Trails of Cold Steel III yesterday. Took 130 hours over months and months. Going to take a break before playing Cold Steel IV.

Thinking about starting Jagged Alliance 3 next, which I picked up in the recent Steam sale. Either that, or return to Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader, now that it's received some patches.

I've also been playing Unicorn Overlord on Switch. I love Vanillaware's games.

I’ve been playing Punch Club. Looked promising but it’s fairly mediocre. Luckily, I bought it in the GOG spring sale for less than £2.

Deathwatch is fine. There's not much to say about it: it's not bad, but it's the kind of game that I find quite engrossing, so I'll probably give it more time than it deserves. There's a particular sort of drabness about a lot of Warhammer games, especially Warhammer 40,000 ones: it's probably a mixture of the games being unexceptional and the setting being quite dull to look at. But it's reasonably fun.

I played Ghostbusters: The Video Game when it first came out in 2009. I bought the HD Remaster about 2 years ago, but never installed it. I've finally decided to give it a playthrough and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. The graphics are pretty good even if the human characters look a little like walking plastic dolls (they're just so shiny for some reason), and the Ghostbusters' AI leaves a little to be desired (I stood for a full minute in the Sedgewick Hotel lobby while Egon tried to walk through a couch instead of around it), but the fun lies in using the proton pack and all the extra weapons and busting ghosts, and I'm having a blast.

Since finishing Cold Steel 3 I've been torn between Jagged Alliance 3 and Expeditions: Rome. They're both great but the latter is pulling ahead at the moment. It just has a little more to it in terms of overall strategy on the world map and the brilliant tactical combat, plus the setting is an instant win.

I have just started playing Vintage Story, think of it as Minecraft for grownups. I have seen it compared to those survival videos where they gather wood and mud and make a hut to live in. In this game everything comes in steps, to make a knife you collect a stick and two pieces of flint, then you knap the flint to make the knife blade which you combine with the stick to make a knife, the knife is then used to collect reeds to make baskets to increase the amount you can carry. To make other containers you have to find clay, make the raw containers then fire them in a fire pit you have made.I believe it is still in early access so there are probably wrinkles ahead but I would advise you to check it out. It's not on steam, it is only available from Home it is worth a look.

I have just started playing Vintage Story, think of it as Minecraft for grownups. I have seen it compared to those survival videos where they gather wood and mud and make a hut to live in. In this game everything comes in steps, to make a knife you collect a stick and two pieces of flint, then you knap the flint to make the knife blade which you combine with the stick to make a knife, the knife is then used to collect reeds to make baskets to increase the amount you can carry. To make other containers you have to find clay, make the raw containers then fire them in a fire pit you have made.I believe it is still in early access so there are probably wrinkles ahead but I would advise you to check it out. It's not on steam, it is only available from Home it is worth a look.
Looks quite interesting:)

Dragon's Dogma 2. Very similar to the original and I like it rather a lot. Going down my usual mage route (maxed that, currently halfway into sorcerer). Magic's pretty fantastic. The pawns still chatter a lot but it's more contextual and they do bounce off each other's comments. Plus, it's cool that if your pawn learns of useful stuff in someone else's game (treasure location or where to go in a quest) they can tell you.

I finally succumbed and ordered a Steam Deck.
I had to look this up. I thought you were talking about something like a deck of cards :D

Me, I’ve just arrived in Far Harbor in Fallout 4. Finding it pretty tough and really having to keep an eye on my stock of Radaway.

Is it ought of quality, mayhap?
'Aught' is still used but not much. Made me smile to hear it again, though. I'm enjoying the game quite a lot, still in the early stages.

Floating Sandbox. They call it a game but it's effectively a physics simulator and could be used for more than just ships. It's free to download and you can donate any sum you like to the creators via paypal. I've just started mucking about with it and it's interesting. You can design ships or use ones already in the mix. Here's some shots with me mucking about with Titanic.

Making headway through stormy waters.
20240409_144625_255_R.M.S. Titanic (With Power) - by Gabriele Giuseppini & Michael Bozarth.png

But, what's this? Some fiend (me) has placed a bomb on board
20240409_145029_677_R.M.S. Titanic (With Power) - by Gabriele Giuseppini & Michael Bozarth.png

Thar she blows!
20240409_145121_625_R.M.S. Titanic (With Power) - by Gabriele Giuseppini & Michael Bozarth.png

Breaking its back
20240409_145147_775_R.M.S. Titanic (With Power) - by Gabriele Giuseppini & Michael Bozarth.png

Going down
20240409_145327_455_R.M.S. Titanic (With Power) - by Gabriele Giuseppini & Michael Bozarth.png

Resting in Davey Jones' Locker
20240409_145456_886_R.M.S. Titanic (With Power) - by Gabriele Giuseppini & Michael Bozarth.png

Not sure how long it will hold my attention for but having fun exploring the options right now:)

I'm back on Ripout, a horror game in which you do missions in a spaceship while fighting creatures that resemble the Thing. I backed this game early, and it's interesting how it's changed. The previous update made it almost unplayable, but the most recent one has improved it greatly. It's definitely worth a look.

Dragon's Dogma was the sort of game that I played for the experience: the plot was nonsense and the setting pretty generic, but the fighting bits were really well done. I just wish fantasy games didn't have to all happen in the same stock Tolkien/D&D knock-off setting.

To be fair, The Witcher 3 definitely has its own feel thanks to the Polish inspiration.

Also, I'm about to set out for the beastren nation, which looks more desert-like, so I'm intrigued to see how that's handled. On the original Dragon's Dogma, I agree. The combat was great the plot actually started and ended fine but was missing for the middle 95%.