Just started

Sounds like I need to get to my local bookstore and order this series, comparing series to GRRM's well thats good enough for me to go order the whole lot. I will let you know how I liked it soon as I can.

Rahl

I was skeptical at best when deciding to order Malazan series and read them in comparison to GRRM. You could try this, that is true; you will not succeed. In the first book GotM, I felt I would be disappointed, however, you reach into the next few books and realize there is no way to compare the two authors. They have two extremely different styles and their strongpoints are totally inverse. I love both authors for what they do. I read GRRM's books very fast and enjoyed them beyond anything I had read before. On the other hand, I am on book five of Malazan and reading them extremely slow and enjoying them just as much if not more than GRRM's series. Erikson is absolutely a genius once you get past the initial confusion of what he is actually telling... but believe you me... DHG and you will be hooked!

I've never read GRRM, so can't compare the two. I would say that Erikson has written the best series I've ever read in any genre, and he's only half way through. The depth and beauty of it takes my breath away.

I found GotM to be a little muddled, haphazard even, and I think it's a result of too many ideas swimming around the guy's head for so long that they got a bit messy when they finally fell on the page. I also think he had a bit of pressure (most likely from himself) to make the first one a little more traditional than his later ones (assassins, alchemists, floating mountains).

I wasn't 100% sure after reading GotM, but then I read Deadhouse Gates, and it kicked my arse. Really hard. Anyone that can come out the end of that book and not feel moved just isn't human. And then Memories of Ice... probably the best book I've ever read (certainly in the last 5 or 10 years). Even got me crying at the end, which few things manage to do.

Anyone who's having doubts about carrying on... please please give it another chance. And don't worry about the number of characters or plotlines (which for me is one of the best features)... just let it all wash over you. You'll absorb it by osmosis, not by grabbing it with two hands or making notes.

PS - who said Kruppe was boring? Bah! A pox on you! His dialogue and thoughts are the signs of a master linguist at work. I wish half the characters in other books were even remotely as interesting.

rune said:
I read the first book in this series and quite enjoyed it though I did find it frustrating that there were so many character plots going on.

However when I started the 2nd book and was introduced to more characters and half way through still didnt know what happened to the first lot of characters introduced in the first book, I put it down and never returned to the series.

Plenty of good ideas but too many character plotlines. :(

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who found his first two books difficult to get into and enjoy. Plenty of good ideas but too many plotlines as rune has said, is one of the reasons.

So at this stage I am not sure if I will continue. Hmm.... I have read all the comments about sticking with it as the series improves, and of course all of your advice. Well we shall see.

PS Was not sure where to post this info.:confused: I didn't want to clutter up your PM. :eek: :) I have reached Mage Enchanter status now as I have just reached my 200th post!!:D :D

It's a very complicated series, and obviously thats not for everyone. If you have to know whats going on at all points, you're never gonna enjoy it very much. I just let the confusion wash over me and enjoy the writing:D

caladanbrood said:
It's a very complicated series, and obviously thats not for everyone. If you have to know whats going on at all points, you're never gonna enjoy it very much. I just let the confusion wash over me and enjoy the writing:D

Thanks for the tip Cal. I shall give your way of reading them a try. So many folk say how brilliant he is, so I guess my curiosity about the brilliant 3rd book will also encourage me to continue.:) :D

It's amusing to read of other POV's regarding plotlines between Erikson and Martin when both do the same thing, but differently. Personally I detested the GRRM books on first read ( I read the first three because I'm a stubborn sod). I didn't like the way GRRM jumped around... yet it didn't bother me with Erikson... *shrug* :)

I found the first book a really hard read but had to push through because I had two others on my shelf to go. I am glad I did... The second book brings more into the STORY and then the third book gets more into the characters and the main plot. By the time you get into the fourth book (as I am just finishing) you will find that Erikson has actually quenched your thirst for info on the characters and their backgrounds; he does this in the most ingenius fashion I have ever seen... you read on a few characters, you don't know it is coming till the last minute, then bam... oh it all makes sense now. Great series!!! I am a true Erikson fan now!

Reading Erikson is like eating a plate of spaghetti...
the sauce goes everywhere, but if you stick your fork in and keep turning, it all ends up in the right place... :D

Looking forward to getting my books signed at FantasyCon...... oh gods now everyone will know I'm a closet geeky-nerd type ;)

Azzriel said:
Reading Erikson is like eating a plate of spaghetti...
the sauce goes everywhere, but if you stick your fork in and keep turning, it all ends up in the right place... :D

Looking forward to getting my books signed at FantasyCon...... oh gods now everyone will know I'm a closet geeky-nerd type ;)
Don't stress I'll be happy to "comfort" you and your avatar.... :D

Interesting comparison b/w GRRM and Erikson you make there as both do jump around quite a bit. I guess with GRRM the jumping around thing may be a little more obvious or codified in the sense that each chapter in the book literally has a specific character named after it.

Enjoy the trip to Worldcon!!... :cool:

PS That's a nice way to describe Erikson's writing you use there, most apt.. :)

Well I just bought Gardens of the Moon and I have not started it yet. I was on the net so I stopped here to read some more of this authors forum. I see high praise for this author here, but the first book seems to be a bit of a struggle, from what I have read. When I get in a bit I will post some of my thoughts.

Rahl

Rahl Windsong said:
Well I just bought Gardens of the Moon and I have not started it yet. I was on the net so I stopped here to read some more of this authors forum. I see high praise for this author here, but the first book seems to be a bit of a struggle, from what I have read. When I get in a bit I will post some of my thoughts.

Rahl
Like WS says it's not easy to get into Rahl BUT hang in there because the last 100/150 pages or so are great and most of the threads are hung together by Erikson by the end of the book. As I've said before the most complicated books in terms of plot and characters involved I've read in the fanatsy genre but I sure am glad I persevered.... :D

Actually I like the way this story is unfolding, and how the author seems to expect the reader to already know the characters. I think its better this way as I already know this is an epic story in terms of how large it is. Therefore if the author went on and on with background material for his characters, and thus quenching the readers desire to find out more, he would reveal far too much before the conclusion of the story.

Aye and the Puppet is in the story and all I can say is the magic in this story is unbelieveably fantastic, almost to the point where one would say, "this seems like a childs fantasy novel" But Mr Erickson describes these events in such a way as to make is seem ordinary to mostly everyone involved and thus keeping it from becoming ridiculous. I like the puppet.

Yes the beginning seems confusing at times but for the most part I have enjoyed it a lot. I am only about 150 pages in and lately my time to read is very limited.

I am real busy at work this week, and last, with the Canadian National Amature Ladies Golf Championship. Getting our course into PGA shape has been a TON of work for the crew, the RCGA gave us a list of three pages of changes we had to make, but the course looks fantastic and plays even better. Anyway if you live in Canada you will probably see highlights of this tournament on TSN, CBC, Global, and SportsNet, if you want to see where I get to work. Did I mention I love my job? :)

PS: The course I speak of is in Squamish, BC, Canada, about an hours drive north of Vancouver, BC and about an hours drive south of Whistler, BC. Squamish Valley Golf and Country Club, in case you are interested.

http://www.squamishvalleygolf.com/

Rahl

Last edited:
WOW Rahl I'm not a big golfer but that looks like some magnificent scenery to drive, chip and putt by.... :D

So I assume you play the beautiful game too Rahl? If so do you play off a handicap and what is it or are you in fact playing off scratch LOL!!... :cool:

Getting back to Erikson Im glad you're enjoying it. It does get easier to follow with each book in terms of what is going on. I basically felt that by the end of Book 3 I had most of the main elements/structure worked out in my own mind. If you think it's good so far wait till Book's end and the following books. I found the series/story improves with each book like a fine wine. Prepare to be blown away!!

Your following comment is interesting:
Mr Erickson describes these events in such a way as to make is seem ordinary to mostly everyone involved and thus keeping it from becoming ridiculous.

It quite nicely parallells Stephen Donaldson's (another fav author) comment that Erikson's wrting manages what "only the rarest of books can manage: it alters the reader's perceptions of reality" in other words he does make his world almost believable.

Ciaoo for now... :D

On the cover of this edition of Gardens of the Moon is an endorsement comment from Stephen R. Donaldson...

"My Advice to anyone who might listen to me: Treat yourself to Gardens of the Moon."

Signed: Stephen R. Donaldson, author of The Runes of the Earth.

Interesting, I shall have to look for his work at some point then!

Rahl

Edit: Well I don't play very often mostly I just totally enjoy working there and making the place look as beautiful as it can possibly be. So I am not that good at the game, I prefer to make the game enjoyable for those who can play :)

Rahl Windsong said:
On the cover of this edition of Gardens of the Moon is an endorsement comment from Stephen R. Donaldson...
"My Advice to anyone who might listen to me: Treat yourself to Gardens of the Moon."
Signed: Stephen R. Donaldson, author of The Runes of the Earth.
Interesting, I shall have to look for his work at some point then!
Rahl
Edit: Well I don't play very often mostly I just totally enjoy working there and making the place look as beautiful as it can possibly be. So I am not that good at the game, I prefer to make the game enjoyable for those who can play :)
Yep my cover probably has something similar, Donaldson has an author forum here in this part of chronicles so check it out! :D

Happy landscaping Rahl!!!!... :)

Well I am about 350 pages into Gardens of the Moon now and I am finding that this story is everything you all have been praising it to be and more. If I had to use one word to describe this story I would have to say brilliant! The only problem I have now is I need to finish all currently published Malazan Book of the Fallen volumes before George R R Martin's A feast for Crows comes out in November. I would have to give aFfC my full attention I can't imagine reading two equally complicated and intriguing stories at the same time. Although the depth of this story, the magic system, the gods, the entire reality that is so amazing and alien, yet so believable. Absolutely amazing, perhaps even more so then A Song of Ice and Fire and I never thought I'd say that.

I can't wait to hand Gardens of the Moon to my brother, I remember the look on his face the day he handed me A Game of Thrones. :D

Rahl

Last edited:
Rahl Windsong said:
Well I am about 350 pages into Gardens of the Moon now and I am finding that this story is everything you all have been praising it to be and more....Absolutely amazing, perhaps even more so then A Song of Ice and Fire and I never thought I'd say that.
Oh well what can I say, like I've been telling you mate Erikson No 1, Martin No 2...... :D

You could always go back to reading other stuff for the next 2 months until AFOC comes out in November, read that and then go back to the remaining Erikson books remembering Book 6 of 10 comes out in Feb 2006. Erikson is like a fine wine so don''t rush it too much, savour the moment... :cool:

BTW GOT is the weakest of the Malazan books IMO as it's a setup book so wait until you get to Book 2 and then Book 3 and you'll know all about being blown away....

Have you read R Scott Baker's Prince of Nothing tirlogy yet? Book 3 due end of the year I think. Almost as good as these two guys... :D