Just started

It's good to see that your enjoying it so much, Rahl. They only get better from Gardens of the Moon, which is usually considered to be the weakest of the novels published so far.

Brys said:
It's good to see that your enjoying it so much, Rahl. They only get better from Gardens of the Moon, which is usually considered to be the weakest of the novels published so far.
Hey is there an echo in here or something..... ;) ;)

*GOLLUM goes down into basement to check padded insulation*.... :D

Just joshing Brys.... :)

Well the thing about this book, as I see it so far, is it sets up the rest of the story. So the aspect I am enjoying the most about Gardens of the Moon is trying to figure out where this author is going with the various plots.

The only problem I am having there is Mr Erickson's imagination is quite unique, so as I try to figure things out, then I turn the page and I then see that I had it all wrong!

And really thats the beauty of this book, the one thing I can see clearly is that there is enough in this story to keep things interesting for a very long time. Just when you think you have a character nailed down they do something that keeps you guessing and wanting to read more.

So far, as I see things, Whiskeyjack and his group will have a huge part to play in this story and I assume the story is to eventually bring down the Empire, but then again like I said above, I am nearly certain I have that all wrong which is the best part about this story. Most likely there is some event about to happen that will throw the Empire into chaos I quote:

"Tool" she asked slowly, almost regretting her need to persist in questioning him, "what is the significance of the Kron coming?"
"The Year of the Three Hundredth Millennium approaches," the warrior replied.
"What happens then?"
"Adjunct, the Diaspora ends."

So I assume these Kron werre exiled and they really could be pissed off aboout that!

Rahl

You know you're not that far off the mark there Rahl with your comments...:rolleyes:

Erikson seems to be very good at not telegraphing the character's next moves or indeed which way the plot/stroy line heads next, a particular aspect of this series I enjoy.

As you say GOTM is very much a setup book for the rest of the series which I can happily report improves like a fine wine over time.

Well I have specifically avoided reading most of the threads in this forum so that I don't read and spoilers by accident. I am relieved to see that my comments are not really spoilers, as you pointed out by :rolleyes: at them :cool:

Rahl

@Rahl - if you're obsessed with Erikson to the point where you can't get enough (and if you're not yet, you will be ;)), have a visit to www.malazanempire.com and chat in the forums :)

Hey, Gollum - don't think I've seen you around there... must say I'm surprised! (If you do go on there... sorry for not spotting you ;))

Green said:
@Rahl - if you're obsessed with Erikson to the point where you can't get enough (and if you're not yet, you will be ;)), have a visit to www.malazanempire.com and chat in the forums :)

Hey, Gollum - don't think I've seen you around there... must say I'm surprised! (If you do go on there... sorry for not spotting you ;))
No you're right., weird huh!...:D

I visit the malazan site regularly and view threads there but never got into joining the forum. The reason is probably because I'm pretty active in a number of forums already and because in a sense I'd be talking to the converts v.s spreading the word as it were in non-malazan sites.

Rahl Windsong said:
I am real busy at work this week, and last, with the Canadian National Amature Ladies Golf Championship. Getting our course into PGA shape has been a TON of work for the crew, the RCGA gave us a list of three pages of changes we had to make, but the course looks fantastic and plays even better. Anyway if you live in Canada you will probably see highlights of this tournament on TSN, CBC, Global, and SportsNet, if you want to see where I get to work. Did I mention I love my job? :)

PS: The course I speak of is in Squamish, BC, Canada, about an hours drive north of Vancouver, BC and about an hours drive south of Whistler, BC. Squamish Valley Golf and Country Club, in case you are interested.

The course looks beautiful to play. The mountains frame it off nicely. As an avid golfer, I wish I had courses like that around here to play...

Yes its finished and I handed it to my brother last night, but today I am wanting to drive about 80 clicks south to Vancouver and vist a larger bookstore then the one in my small home town. However I have not had a day off in so long I feel lazy and not really wanting to make the trip.

So last night I realized suddenly I had this library book out and it is now 4 days overdue! Dang it I have never been late before! Anyway I started to read that book last night and what a surprise! The Ring of Five Dragons, by Eric Van Lustbader anyway I woke up too late today to go to Vancouver so I think I will go to the library, settle up with the late fees and renew this book its quite good!

As for GOTM I was a bit dissappointed that Raest was so easy to stop, though I suspect I may hear more about him later in this story. The book was very good but I didn't like the ending as much as I thought I would. I suppose this is because of the epic nature of this story and the size of the beast makes it difficult to have more satisfaction in the ending of the first book.

The Adjunct died too easily, I thought, but that seems to be the way Mr Erickson wants it in this story, death is just part of the life in his world and who would shed a tear for the Adjunct, perhaps only Tool if he knew how?

I look forward to the rest but I think it will take me a while to aquire the books.

Rahl

Rahl Windsong said:
The Adjunct died too easily, I thought, but that seems to be the way Mr Erickson wants it in this story, death is just part of the life in his world and who would shed a tear for the Adjunct, perhaps only Tool if he knew how?
Too easily? Oh, I dunno. Just wait until you find out more about the people who killed her;)

One thing Erikson isn't is sentimental about his characters. Life in the malazan world is miserable, and death even more so. Very few people are really mourned, and its got over with quickely when they are... Harsh, but makes for good fast-paced books;)

GOLLUM said:
No you're right., weird huh!...:D

I visit the malazan site regularly and view threads there but never got into joining the forum. The reason is probably because I'm pretty active in a number of forums already and because in a sense I'd be talking to the converts v.s spreading the word as it were in non-malazan sites.

I go there, from time to time. It was actually how I started visiting forums like these. But usually there's not a lot of point in posting in the book forums, because someone else will know better than you, and the other forums have a high amount of spam (particularly from two members, who've been banned at least twice in the time I was there). There was a hilarious WoT parody there once, though, and I think Gamet is writing Teahouse Gates.

@Rahl, I agree that GotM's ending is a bit weak. I was wondering the other day why GotM was the weakest, even after a re-read, and I concluded that it was the ending. Every other book has an amazing, very moving ending, but Gardens' is distinctly unmemorable.

Brys said:
I go there, from time to time. It was actually how I started visiting forums like these. But usually there's not a lot of point in posting in the book forums, because someone else will know better than you, and the other forums have a high amount of spam (particularly from two members, who've been banned at least twice in the time I was there). There was a hilarious WoT parody there once, though, and I think Gamet is writing Teahouse Gates.

@Rahl, I agree that GotM's ending is a bit weak. I was wondering the other day why GotM was the weakest, even after a re-read, and I concluded that it was the ending. Every other book has an amazing, very moving ending, but Gardens' is distinctly unmemorable.
I also do prefer forums that aren't limited to just one author, a real strength of a forum like Chronicles I think in terms of the sheer variety you find here, pretty much something for everyone really. Teahouse Gates sounds like it could be a bit of fun... ;)

I quite enjoyed the ending of GOTM, one of the highlights of the book but more from the POV of an Action-packed/fast-moving pace than anything particulalry moving or profound. Don''t forget GOTM is the first book and therefore a setup book for the remainder of the series plus it's his first book in the series so perhaps it's just a natural progression for him as an author to generally improve with each book like a fine wine.. :D

I would send you a few of the "Malazan Books of the Forum", but you need to know a load of the in jokes and memebers of the forum to understand them mostly. Tis a cryin' shame:(

caladanbrood said:
I would send you a few of the "Malazan Books of the Forum", but you need to know a load of the in jokes and memebers of the forum to understand them mostly. Tis a cryin' shame:(
HUMPH...not happy... :mad: :mad: ;)

Just started GOTM today,due to comments I've seen about this book, I was expecting it to be heavy going but I've been pleasntly surprised its a very easy book to read and very hard to put down :)

nixie said:
Just started GOTM today,due to comments I've seen about this book, I was expecting it to be heavy going but I've been pleasntly surprised its a very easy book to read and very hard to put down :)
OK it's official, Nixie is a genius....:D

Tis good to know nixie:) A lot of people do get confused with it. Personally, I'm so confused most of the time anyway, it didn't register on that scale;)