Fashions in writing

Anthony G Williams

Greybeard
This is an extract from my review of Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama (the full review is posted on the Clarke sub-forum) which I thought might stimulate some discussion here:
By modern standards the structure of the novel can be criticised: the present fashion is to plunge straight into the action rather than provide explanatory prologues, to "show not tell" (i.e. let information come out as a result of the actions and conversations of the characters), to concentrate on developing the characters, and (of course) to write any new book as the first of a series. 'Rendezvous with Rama' fails quite comprehensively on all of these counts: while there is no formal prologue, the first few of the very short chapters are entirely devoted to setting the scene and explaining the background, with the first words of dialogue being spoken in Chapter 4. The narrator is present throughout, describing what is happening. The characterisation is slight; the Endeavour's crew are all dedicated professionals, working together in harmony (how refreshing!). Sequels to the book were not initially planned and did not begin to appear until the co-authored 'Rama II', some seventeen years after 'Rendezvous' was published in 1972. I haven't read any of them, but by all accounts the sequels are entirely different in style from the original, focusing much more on characterisation; they have been nowhere near as successful. I strongly suspect that if 'Rendezvous' were submitted by a new author for publication today an editor would call for drastic changes, if indeed the manuscript managed to get off the slush pile at all. Yet it is one of the most enduringly popular SF novels ever written, being frequently reprinted. Make of that what you will.

Anthony, the question is, what can a writer to do about that? Nothing. If one wants to be published, then one has to follow what the editor and the publisher says to do. We cannot simply strike and say "...we're no longer writing. So stick it up..." because it doesn't work. A aspiring writer - like Mr. Clarke - has to do what the editor and publisher wants. It is up to them extend the scenes so that they can show the name of the game. Does it make storytelling any easier? No, because many of the tools are limited from your disposal. People want to be entertained, and if not, no money equals no honey.

Certainly. But my point was that there is evidently still a market for books which do not comply with the current writing fashions, so maybe one of the smaller publishing houses might take note...

Yeah the trouble is indeed the audiences. The problem is not the publishers: they see what sells and search for that and who can blame them?
If you would bring out a movie with as long an intro as 2001 a space odyssey, no matter how good, it wouldn't sell.

Interestingly enough, it's another Clarke I'll mention as an author that's not following current writing fashion-

Susanna Clarke. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell doesn't follow most of the current fashions in writing, but it still got published, and a lot of people love it in part because it doesn't follow current trends.

If you can make it interesting, you can break all kinds of "rules"...:devilsmile:

Back