Will there ever be a new series?

I like the idea of a show that takes place on another planet, or that is told from an alternate perspective. For instance, make an alien race the main characters and tell the same types of stories but from their point of view. It could overlap with a timeline we have seen, but still be a new and refreshing story.

Overall though, I doubt there could be another Star Trek series or movie that lives up to the quality of what we already have. The franchise is so large it would be too difficult to come up with something new that is actually original and has enough continuity with what we already have so that fans would be pleased.

I think Paramount have pretty much killed off the Star Trek Franchise. I'd like to see another Star Trek Show. I always thought that it would be interesting to do a series from the perspective of the Romulans. It would be good to see the Federation as the enemy.

Or move Trek much further into the future history in order to distance itself from what has gone before.

I'd like to see another Star Trek Show. I always thought that it would be interesting to do a series from the perspective of the Romulans. It would be good to see the Federation as the enemy.
Or the Klingons.
Or move Trek much further into the future history in order to distance itself from what has gone before.
Several episodes have featured visitors from the far future re: Chrononauts and Time Ships - All Good Things, Captain's Holiday, Timeless, & Future's End. I would like to see a series set around Captain Braxton and the Temporal Directive, but I think the stories would be too complex and have too many paradoxes for most viewers. The technology would be so far advanced as to seem magical, and every story dilemma too easily solved by the use of such technology.

What I have suggested before is a mini-series of stand-alone special feature length episodes. Stop remaking and retconning established Trek History and instead fill in the missing gaps. Maybe only make four or six per year. Cut costs by using less well known actors. Each episode could visit a completely different subject i.e. A day on a Romulan ship, A day on a Klingon Ship, the Far Future, the signing of the Treaty of Algeron, The ancient Romulan-Vulcan War and Vulcan dissidents schism, the Cardassian-Federation Wars, The Hur'q invasion of Qo'NoS, Earth's World War III and Colonel Green, The Tholian-Federation Wars, Fleet Captain Garth and his Cochrane deceleration maneuver at Axanar, Guinan's backstory exposed, Garak's backstory exposed.

There are still plenty of Trek stories to be told, but instead they decided to make 'the Young Adventures of...'

I think Paramount have pretty much killed off the Star Trek Franchise.
They did that with the series 'Enterprise', and then gave the lifeless body a good kick when they cancelled it (as it finally began to improve.) If this film flops, they will have nailed the coffin firmly shut. Otherwise, it might still rise in some vampyric way, but it is no longer 'Star Trek'. And don't shine a light on it!

If they did anything, they need to move a long way from anything that has gone on in previous series.

You mention about tales from each. How about each others relevant secret organisations. The Obsidian Order, Tal Shiar, Section 31 etc would have some great stories to tell and the fact that i would imagine each of them to have "the long view" would make for a good story Arc.

section 31 are like CSI in space aren't they? wouldn't like to watch a trek version of that.

The main theme of Star Trek is TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE, as long as they push the boundaries and create good characters with decent plots and not re-write history then i'll take a look.

Section 31 was a secret Federation Organisation. I don't think that they had any Police or CSI type role.

weren't they there to protect the federation no matter the cost?

weren't they there to protect the federation no matter the cost?

Yes. Whatever means necessary. The same as the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar. A secret organisation with no boundries, no morality and no accountability. Imagine the Stories?

Yes. Whatever means necessary. The same as the Obsidian Order and the Tal Shiar. A secret organisation with no boundries, no morality and no accountability. Imagine the Stories?
Yes, waterboarding, electric shocks, sleep deprivation - not really part of Roddenberry's vision - I think that all went out of fashion after the Eugenics's Wars ;)

i always enjoyed the episodes where one captain and crew were pitted against another 'rogue' crew, so maybe a captain steals a powerful weapon and is chased by another captain into un-charted teritory etc etc?

i always enjoyed the episodes where one captain and crew were pitted against another 'rogue' crew, so maybe a captain steals a powerful weapon and is chased by another captain into un-charted teritory etc etc?
'Voyager' should have been like that - two mis-matched crews that had to get along somehow. Only, by the end of the first Season you couldn't tell Starfleet from Maquis.

I always thought that Voyager was a little too twee.

'Voyager' should have been like that - two mis-matched crews that had to get along somehow. Only, by the end of the first Season you couldn't tell Starfleet from Maquis.

True, the chase between the two vessels would have been an intresting plot, each crew meeting a new species and trying to gain support against the persued/persuer

What I have suggested before is a mini-series of stand-alone special feature length episodes. Stop remaking and retconning established Trek History and instead fill in the missing gaps. Maybe only make four or six per year. Cut costs by using less well known actors. Each episode could visit a completely different subject i.e. A day on a Romulan ship, A day on a Klingon Ship, the Far Future, the signing of the Treaty of Algeron, The ancient Romulan-Vulcan War and Vulcan dissidents schism, the Cardassian-Federation Wars, The Hur'q invasion of Qo'NoS, Earth's World War III and Colonel Green, The Tholian-Federation Wars, Fleet Captain Garth and his Cochrane deceleration maneuver at Axanar, Guinan's backstory exposed, Garak's backstory exposed.

There is definately scope here. I often thought of things like Wolf 359, or Narendra III (Enterprise C) could be made. The only problem is that these are history (so to speak LOL), so the actors/actresses would have to be very good to keep the viewers engaged.

Star Wars ROTS comes to mind, as we all knew the history of what was going to happen.

One story I always wished had been expanded was the STNG episode 'Schisms' or Conspiracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schisms_(TNG_episode)

(although I'm assuming my curiosity and memories of the episode is such due to them leaving the episode open ended).

Hopefully with the success of the new Trek film there will be a new series. They just need talented writers.

Trek's been too overdone. Give it a few more years.

Don't know too much about the Beta Quadrant. A Star Trek show about an alien race from that quadrant. Their exploration and eventually bumping into the Alpha Quadrant folk. Probably Klingons. Think they just edge into the Beta Quadrant.

I'd like to see a sequence exploring the period when the Federation was properly at war with the Klingons, with proper action-adventure heroics and less pussy-footing than the other series. Get rid of the ----ing android and let the plots be driven by gritty characters with limited technology. Only trouble is modern PC gets in the way, doesn't it?... Television's just not the clean blank canvas it used to be for SF.