Will there ever be a new series?

I think Star Trek is dying, no matter what they do. The reboot is just a feeble attempt to inject new life into it, and also to avoid the restrictions of canon - which the producers never paid much attention to anyway. The remastering of the old series is a good idea, but that cannot breathe new life into a dying corpse.

The series will die, and it may be resurrected in a couple of decades. More likely, it will go the way of Captain Video and Flash Gordon.

I think that it'll endure, but we need a rest from Star Trek for a while. (I can pretty much see us needing a rest from Star Wars in teh next few years too.)

The reboot 'Trek' films (which I think are excellent) have opened the way for entirely new possibilities.

I agree that a war pitting the Federation in a hostile war against both the Klingons and Vulcans would make for a great set of adventures. And what would also be cool that some of the greatest episodes of 'original' Trek could be re-done with twists , just as was done with Khan in the last movie. Doing this would entertain new fans (who know little of the original series) but also intrigue long standing fans remembering what happened in the original and wondering what will happen this time around.

They will make more series as long as there are people prepared to watch them, and judging by the popularity of the franchise, it will continue.

In theory they can re-do the Kirk era with a stronger story line. Kirk didn't really have a strong story through the series and most of the actual story for them happens in the movies. The original series was very much a monster/girl of the week affair. It wasn't till Next Generation that they really started going with the idea of longer story arcs and character developer through a season.

I'd really like to see an all-Klingon movie, done entirely in the Klingon language with subtitles.

As for a new series how about something based on the new adventures of Harry Mudd (or his protégé). Something like Firefly but set in the Trekiverse.

Last edited:
In theory they can re-do the Kirk era with a stronger story line. Kirk didn't really have a strong story through the series and most of the actual story for them happens in the movies. The original series was very much a monster/girl of the week affair. It wasn't till Next Generation that they really started going with the idea of longer story arcs and character developer through a season.

They could, but it's hard to imagine Chris Pine doing a tv series. And to have a film and tv series running simultaneously with 2 different Kirks wouldn't work.

Also tv series featuring Klingons/Vulcans/Mudd etc; great for people who are really into ST, but a turnoff for everyone else. TV shows want big audiences, so it has to appear to a larger audience.

Now a Starfleet Academy , with occasional guest appearances by crew members of new Trek would be viable and a pretty interesting proposition.

Its probably not happening anytime soon.