Not so important connections

I kind of agree, I've watched series 1&2 over ten times each at least, I've only watched season 3&4 twice each, and have no real interest in watching them again, yet!

But the series is definitely giving away secrets inadvertently.

Ok re-phrase the question, what part do you think Patchface will play, I think his song/poem is quite detailed and interesting to be irrelevant?

Pertaining to op's topic: On my re-read of ACoK, the scene where Cressen determines he will poison Melisandre, we get our first glimpse of the poison that will eventually kill Joffrey. "They shone like jewels in the candelight, so purple that the maester found himself thinking that he'd never truly seen the color before." Precisely the description of Sansa's hair piece that Petyr eluded was used to smuggle the drug in.
An interesting note is that, according to Cressen, it was a hard process to produce the drug but the alchemists of Lys, the Faceless Men, and the maesters of his order knew the way of crafting it. Taking the context of way that last part was written in the book, those three factions seem to be the only way to get some of this handy poison so are there any connections to a Lys alchemist, Faceless Man, or Maester and Petyr?
I know Varys is from Lys and there is a theory that he's connected w/ the FM. Or did Petyr talk Grand Maester Pycelle in to whipping him up a batch?
Sorry if this has already been brought up (and I'd love a referencing link, if it has).

We know Tyrion stole a bunch of poisons from Pycell when he had him arrested, so it's possible Petyr then stole them from Tyrion when tyrion was in his coma or whatever after the battle of the blackwater.

Though it is conceivable that Varys helped Pety get them, we still don't know how closely they are working together, but we know that Varys wants Cersei to be in charge so she can muck everything up. Killing Joffrey helped to keep her in a position of power for longer. Joffrey was too headstrong and stopped listening to his mother as much as Varys would have liked.

Looking for someone to Confirm this, but I think one of the wildlings uses Ser Waymar's Sword as payment to pass through the wall in a Dance with Dragons, when Jon lets Tormund and the rest through. Jon's describing all the different "treasures" the wildlings are giving up, and among them is a broken sword with a ruby in the Pommel. Not sure why, but I thought I had read about that sword breaking and my first though was Ser Waymar.

...Though it is conceivable that Varys helped Pety get them, we still don't know how closely they are working together, but we know that Varys wants Cersei to be in charge so she can muck everything up. Killing Joffrey helped to keep her in a position of power for longer. Joffrey was too headstrong and stopped listening to his mother as much as Varys would have liked.

Not sure if Varys wants Cersei, specifically, in power. Seems he just wants a hated sovereign in power to make the people support a Targ when he brings one in (Btw, I'm not entirely convinced Varys really is trying to get a Targ in. I think his motives are more in line to the Other's end game. Will be posting a crackpot theory in a few). In that case, seems like Joffrey was ideal to be in power to oppress the people. Imagine how the small folk would love and flock to Daenerys after a few years under Joffrey.
So this weakens the potential of a Varys/Petyr kingslaying so I wonder if there are other connections to Petyr to a FM, Alchemist from Lys, or a Maester. I suppose he could have just grabbed 'em off Tyrion but that seems too vague to me. With the specifics of how to procure the drug so illustrated in Cressen's PoV, it just seems like the link would be more tangible. Or maybe it was truly a "not so important connection."
BTW, good one on the sword! Another curious connection is the reoccurrences of rubies. The sword, Mel's necklace, Mance's bracelet. Going to have to keep an eye out for rubies mentioned as I continue to read.

Yeah he didn't necessarily want Cersei to be the ruler, but he wanted someone who was incompetant. that's why Kevan got the Axe (see: Crossbow bolt and multiple daggers), because he was too competant and was undoing all of Cersei's "work", which is to say, fixing all of her mistakes.

the same goes for Tywin. It wasn't a coincidence that led tyrion to where tywin was sleeping. And Varys' reaction reminded me of this:

Last edited:
Looking for someone to Confirm this, but I think one of the wildlings uses Ser Waymar's Sword as payment to pass through the wall in a Dance with Dragons, when Jon lets Tormund and the rest through. Jon's describing all the different "treasures" the wildlings are giving up, and among them is a broken sword with a ruby in the Pommel. Not sure why, but I thought I had read about that sword breaking and my first though was Ser Waymar.

I believe you're correct. Nicely spotted!

YS, long time, no see! Good to see you back in this thread.

Yeah he didn't necessarily want Cersei to be the ruler, but he wanted someone who was incompetant. that's why Kevan got the Axe (see: Crossbow bolt and multiple daggers), because he was too competant and was undoing all of Cersei's "work", which is to say, fixing all of her mistakes.

the same goes for Tywin. It wasn't a coincidence that led tyrion to where tywin was sleeping. And Varys' reaction reminded me of this:

Not just incompetent, but also someone who makes conflict happen meaning a very specific type of incompetent. Varys wanted someone who was incompetent in the sense that all sides would argue against each other. He wanted someone with such lust for power and blind enough to the state of things, someone who'd make sure they all continue arguing and thus remain divided and weak. Divide et Impera after all.

Not just incompetent, but also someone who makes conflict happen meaning a very specific type of incompetent. Varys wanted someone who was incompetent in the sense that all sides would argue against each other. He wanted someone with such lust for power and blind enough to the state of things, someone who'd make sure they all continue arguing and thus remain divided and weak. Divide et Impera after all.

you are right, Cersei was that perfect combination of Incompetant, ruthless, greedy, ambitious and paranoid.

Pertaining to op's topic: On my re-read of ACoK, the scene where Cressen determines he will poison Melisandre, we get our first glimpse of the poison that will eventually kill Joffrey. "They shone like jewels in the candelight, so purple that the maester found himself thinking that he'd never truly seen the color before." Precisely the description of Sansa's hair piece that Petyr eluded was used to smuggle the drug in.
An interesting note is that, according to Cressen, it was a hard process to produce the drug but the alchemists of Lys, the Faceless Men, and the maesters of his order knew the way of crafting it. Taking the context of way that last part was written in the book, those three factions seem to be the only way to get some of this handy poison so are there any connections to a Lys alchemist, Faceless Man, or Maester and Petyr?
I know Varys is from Lys and there is a theory that he's connected w/ the FM. Or did Petyr talk Grand Maester Pycelle in to whipping him up a batch?
Sorry if this has already been brought up (and I'd love a referencing link, if it has).

Lynesse Hightower, Jorah's former wife, is a high-level courtesan in Lys. She has the ruler of the city around her little finger. Hightowers are one of Tyrell's most loyal lords. The poison itself came as a hair net and it was lady Olenna Tyrell which did the poisoning part. My theory is that Lynesse had sent a silver hair net as a gift. Hey, one of your vassals is sending you some jewellery, nothing suspicious about that, right? The fact that Lysseni have a bit of reputation as poisoners in Westeros would make such items which look innocent but hide poison fairly common in Lys.
That's my theory at least.

Last edited:
And I'm here letting this slip past me..

Well I thought the Hightowers were a proud bunch and had detested the Tyrells for being the Gardener King's successor.... I may be wrong though... as it has been a while since my reread....

Back