Not so important connections

Here's a very minor connection.

R'lorr's priests have the ability to fill themselves with the holly fire then give the last kiss to dead servants of their god. It didn't work for a long time but it started working again with the hatching of the dragons. Oddly enough, so far only red-headed people were returned from dead. (Lord Berric had copper-coloured hair. Catelyn Stark was a redhead and so was Robb and Thoros told Brienne that they would have returned him to life if he kept his head on).

Now, wildlings have a very interesting belief that people with red hair are born very lucky and are extremely hard to kill. They call them "kissed by fire".

Thing is, the way Thoros explained the ressurection process, that's exactly what he is doing: kissing people with fire! So, I think that 8.000 years ago, when original Azor Ahai was alive, red priests were fighting together with wildlings against Others, but they could only ressurect redheaded people. It remained a folk tale after 8000 years and a name: "kissed by fire".

P. S: Bran, Rickon and Sansa are also redheads. Arya is not.

One thing I'm pretty sure about Ser Barristan MF Selmy is not the father of Lady Ashara's unborn child.

Nice observation, YS. Yeah, all of them are redheads. Let's summon all Weasleys here. :D

But wouldn't that mean that Tyrion would have to be dead and have had his face removed for Arya to wear it?

Rumours about lord Bloodraven, from Mistery Knight:

How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? the riddle ran. A thousand eyes, and one.

Some claimed the King's Hand was a student of the dark arts who could change his face, put on the likeness of a one-eyed dog, even turn into a mist. Packs of gaunt gray wolves hunted down his foes, men said, and carrion crows spied for him and whispered secrets in his ear. Most of the tales were only tales, Dunk did not doubt, but no one could doubt that Bloodraven had informers everywhere.

I think that he might be Maynard Plumm in the story...

So, both Faceless Man and a warg, if we take rumours at face value. It stands to reason that Faceless Men got wiser since Bloodraven's time and actually know about warging students. Mayhaps he left the organisation.

Did anyone else catch the description of "Sweets" the hermaphrodite: "blue hair, VIOLET eyes..." I'm not sure they give her/him an age, but are there other non-Tragaryens running around with violet colored eye's? Hair dyed(ala Aegon) to mask the silver?And the whole hermaph thing would fit w/ the Trag incestuous bloodlines. Connection or just nonsense?

And as for the reason Benjen went to the wall, I think if you believe Meera's telling of the Tourney at Harranhal, a brother from the NW came and spoke, and Benjen joined(presumably for the honor of the Stark name and its committment to the NW) They came asking for men/help and a Stark offered his oath. At least thats how i read it.

Sweets as a Targ? Probably not, but there are many out there with Valyrian blood.

Regarding the timing of Benjen's joining the NW... I think you may be correct. I've always thought that Ben joined after Robert's Rebellion and that always bothered me... The realm just fought a civil war and many northern nobles died in battle. It made little sense for House Stark allow Ben to go to the Wall when they needed capable and educated noble leaders. But if Ben responded at Harrenhal or at least before Brandon rode for KL, then his reasoning is sounder... House Stark already had two male heirs before him and the elder was engaged.

Lady Dustin, aka Barbrey Ryswell, and Eddard both remembered Brandon as a hothead and in Meera's story he is the wild wolf. Could Brandon have pressured Benjen to remove him as a rival? Could Brandon have pushed Benjen because Brandon just liked to be in charge?

Regarding the timing of Benjen's joining the NW... I think you may be correct. I've always thought that Ben joined after Robert's Rebellion and that always bothered me... The realm just fought a civil war and many northern nobles died in battle. It made little sense for House Stark allow Ben to go to the Wall when they needed capable and educated noble leaders. But if Ben responded at Harrenhal or at least before Brandon rode for KL, then his reasoning is sounder... House Stark already had two male heirs before him and the elder was engaged.

If Benjen was too young to go to the tournament, or to war afterward, I don't see him being old enough to join the Night's Watch.

Even if he was a super responsible young man that put the good of the realm above any desire to live up to the personal reputation of his older brothers (the martyr and the hero), then he could have still safely joined after Robb was born.

And as for the reason Benjen went to the wall, I think if you believe Meera's telling of the Tourney at Harranhal, a brother from the NW came and spoke, and Benjen joined(presumably for the honor of the Stark name and its committment to the NW) They came asking for men/help and a Stark offered his oath. At least thats how i read it.

When i first wrote this, i was under the assumption that Meera stated outright that he joined when the brother from the NW spoke at the tourney, but having reread that part, she actually does not say the "young pup" joined. But i still feel that her mention of the NW brother speaking at the tourney is directly related in someway to Benjen joining ultimately, if not in the immediate aftermath of the tourney. One wonders what words the brother of the NW spoke.

Ty, I like your thoughts too.

Having Ben on the Wall is good for Jon's story, but mayhaps it is just convenient for GRRM to do so. Mayhaps he put no more thought into it than that. And then again...

I thought I read somewhere that Ned said there has always been a stark on the wall. I thought it was a way for younger Stark brothers, who are unlikely to inherit, to be able to become a lord and bring honor to the house. Probably, had things not turned out the way they did, Rickon would have ended up on the Wall.

While doing a little research into another issue I came across a quote from a Jon PoV (Ch 53 in ADwD) describing Val: Val was clad all in white; white woolen breeches tucked into high boots of bleached white leather, white bearskin cloak pinned at the shoulder with a carved weirwood face, white tunic with bone fastenings. Her breath was white as well ... but her eyes were blue ...

Never picked up on it before, but it sounds remarkably similar to the description given of the consort of the Night's King: "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars." Not that Val is an Other, but there does seem to be a lot of emphasis on the fact that she's all white with blue eyes. And since Val was offered to Jon, an offer he did consider - it seems that there are at least a few parallels between the story of the Night's King and the proposal being offered to Jon.

josh, GRRM has lots of foreshadowing in the series. He also has so much information that we sometimes make connections that were never supposed to be made... the facts are just coincidental. But I don't know if Val and Jon will become the Macbeths. Melisandre seems more likely, than Val, to steal Jon's soul. The connection I'm posting probably is pure coincidence... but you never know. I don't have my books with me, but I remembered something along these lines....

Jorah was crazy about his second wife, Lynesse Hightower. He dishonored himself for her. He took her into exile, but when the money ran out so did she. She became a concubine of a merchant prince in Lys.

Dany's heart broke for Jorah when she heard this story. She asked him what Lynesse looked like... and Jorah told her that Lynesse looked like her.

In ASOS, Mero told Dany that he had a woman who looked like her at a brothel in Lys.

Sooooo, is Lynesse now a whore in Lys?

Or is it just popular to dress up high class courtesans to appear of Valyrian descent? We know that Jorah had a girl like that when he first saw Tyrion.

This is a bit on the dark side, but I think Dany was conceived after Qarlton Chelsted was burned alive for the treason of not wanting to burn King's Landing to the ground. It is mentioned that the Mad King only got sexually aroused after burning somone alive and shortly after Lord Chelsted is put to death, Rhaella is sent away, newly impregnated with Baby Dany.

Oh, absolutely! Dany was born months and months after the fall of King's Landing. Not only was she born amid salt (the sea around Dragonstone) and smoke (the volcano of Dragonstone), but she was conceived amid salt (her mother's tears at being raped) and smoke (Chelsted's charred corpse).... Aerys was aroused by both!

And the thing is that we know all of this from Jaime. He watched Chelsted grow a conscience. He heard Rhaella's cries. He was rebuked by either Oswell Whent or Gerold Hightower for speaking on Rhaella's behalf. And then he was ordered by Aerys II to kill kill his father, Tywin Lannister.

If Jaime knew that much, how much more do Varys and Pycelle know? How much did other court intimates like Ashara Dayne know? And how many stories and secrets has Baelish collected over the years?

Every sad and sordid detail about Dany's family history is probably known by BFS, Varys, Pycelle, Ashara, and Littlefinger. How will Dany react when she finds that she's the product of rape? And how will Jon or unJon react when he finds the same? Cersei? Jaime? Tyrion?

They're all siblings... it is known.

There is no dark side of the song (of ice and fire), really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

Oh, absolutely! Dany was born months and months after the fall of King's Landing. Not only was she born amid salt (the sea around Dragonstone) and smoke (the volcano of Dragonstone), but she was conceived amid salt (her mother's tears at being raped) and smoke (Chelsted's charred corpse).... Aerys was aroused by both!

And the thing is that we know all of this from Jaime. He watched Chelsted grow a conscience. He heard Rhaella's cries. He was rebuked by either Oswell Whent or Gerold Hightower for speaking on Rhaella's behalf. And then he was ordered by Aerys II to kill kill his father, Tywin Lannister.

If Jaime knew that much, how much more do Varys and Pycelle know? How much did other court intimates like Ashara Dayne know? And how many stories and secrets has Baelish collected over the years?

Every sad and sordid detail about Dany's family history is probably known by BFS, Varys, Pycelle, Ashara, and Littlefinger. How will Dany react when she finds that she's the product of rape? And how will Jon or unJon react when he finds the same? Cersei? Jaime? Tyrion?

They're all siblings... it is known.

There is no dark side of the song (of ice and fire), really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

I see that your crackpot theory of Aerys' rape by-products is still sailing strong. xD

As for the Dany being conceived at that time, approximate maths works in favour of it so I'm all for it.

I still hold that Tyrion is Tywin's trueborn son, but I like the idea that Cersei and Jaime are not.

I don't recall this being mentioned, but do you guys think there is something more, something to be revealed about Nightfort? The number of alleged incidents there is significantly higher than anywhere else and the passage is there. Is the existance of passage perhaps connected with the incidents? I know it is a long shot, but just wondering.

Oh, and Summer disliked it.

Last edited:
Sry, I think Stannis was planning on making it his headquarters. In fact, he may have already moved Selyse and Shireen into it. I imagine their little family at the Nightfort will resemble The Shining.

Back