Is it okay to discuss casting for the HBO series?

Asha masculine???? She's though but she's no Brienne. She is describe as exuding sexuality and all woman.

Was Wonder Woman masculine? I know, some may think that's stretching the comparisons. But in my mind, Asha is of the right age and type for Natalie to portray. Anyways, it won't happen anyways. Now Miranda Otto could be another good choice for Asha.

i don't mean i think Asha is a man in womans clothing like Brienne. But her feminity for me is something akin to the sort of woman Michelle Rodriguez always plays...tough as nails, but still sexy, even sensual. A Xena-type. Asha is like that for me. Natalie Dormer for me doesn't fit that image. Mirando Otto on the other hand is a better fit.

I'd never thought of Eowyn as yummy, but Otto made her yummy. And not to insult Otto, but she's about eighteen years too old to play Asha.

If Cat hadn't already been cast I think Miranda would have done a good job of that role. Wouldn't want to see her as Lysa though, on the flipside of that. I agree with Boaz on the yumminess front. If I was Aragorn, there wouldn't have been a snowball's chance in hell I was going back to Arwen.

Now, if they cast Liv Tyler in this adaptation I may have to hurt somebody.

GRRM is dropping jokey hints again.

This time, the speculation is that Sandor will be played by Rory McCann, known - amongst other things - for a porage advert and appearing in The Book Group (in which he may have played the wheelchair-bound character).

Winter is Coming has made up a list of which characters will need to be cast in the series. It makes for interesting reading, as you realise how huge the cast could get.

The major roles that need to be cast would be, IMO:

Ser Barristan Selmy, Ser Loras Tyrell, Ser Gregor Clegane, Varys, Littlefinger, Grand Maester Pycelle, Renly Baratheon, Ser Ilyn Payne, Syrio Forel, Yoren, Lysa Tully, Ser Brynden Tully, Ser Edmure Tully, Lord Roose Bolton, Greatjon Umber, Lord Walder Frey, Bronn, Shae*, Gendry, Ser Beric Dondarrion, Shagga, Lord Tywin Lannister, Lord Commander Jeor Mormont, Samwell Tarly, Ser Alliser Thorne, Ser Janos Slynt, Maester Aemon, Hodor and Mirri Maz Duur.

* Although there has been speculation that Shae could be combined with the existing character of Ros from the pilot.

Characters who appear in the book but could be either reduced to minor roles or even eliminated entirely would be, IMO: Mya Stone, Lord Hoster Tully, Lord Wyman Manderly, Lady Maege Mormont, Thoros of Myr, Timmett, Kevan Lannister, Doreah and assorted Dothraki warriors, Northmen and Riverland lords and approximately four thousand Freys. Of those I'd probably be inclined to keep Maege Mormont and Wyman Manderly (both have potentially much larger roles later on, maybe in Book 5 or 6) but perhaps leave them unnamed until they are needed. Thoros of Myr also has an important role in the potential third and fourth seasons, but can be held back somewhat in Season 1 (maybe we only seem him and his burning sword in the distance or something).

It'll be interesting to see which actors are announced first and which ones they are aiming to include. I suspect announcements will be forthcoming in the next few weeks, with filming due to start in six weeks or so.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we need a new Daenerys as well :)

I don't think we need casting for Pycelle (cut him out), Forel (ditto), Shagga (don't need him either), Illyn Payne (get on of the crews and give him the sword, nothing more needed) and, at a stretch, Janos Slynt and Allister Thorne.

But I do think we need Kevan Lannister.

I have to assume you're joking, Ben. Pycelle, Forel, Payne, Slynt and Thorne? Shagga I could lose, but the rest play pretty important parts in the narrative...

I don't think we need casting for Pycelle (cut him out), Forel (ditto), Shagga (don't need him either), Illyn Payne (get on of the crews and give him the sword, nothing more needed) and, at a stretch, Janos Slynt and Allister Thorne.

But I do think we need Kevan Lannister.

Pycelle is already in the scripts and in fact has been cast already (he was in a new scene in the pilot, but was cut out after casting; the actor has been retained for the series). We just don't know who it is, although smart money is on Roy Dotrice, a friend of GRRM's whom he worked with on Beauty and the Beast and reads the Song of Ice and Fire audio books.

Forel is likely to stay. We already know that Arya will have Needle and will be trained in its use. In fact, characters who appear briefly and get memorable deaths are more likely to appear than characters who show up and stick around for ages doing nothing but might be important in Books 5-7.

Shagga is the voice and face of Tyrion's mountain men. Timmett and the other wildmen (and women) might be cut or reduced to background roles, but Shagga I think is too important to Tyrion's story in AGoT and ACoK. In addition, he likely has a role to play later on (Tyrion having a bunch of wildlings friendly to him in the Kingswood, ideally placed to harry King's Landing, could be useful in the series endgame).

Ilyn Payne is too important in AGoT. He might just be a glorified extra, but Sansa's meeting with him and his later involvement in Eddard's fate are important elements, not to mention his sparring with Jaime later on.

Alliser Thorne and Janos Slynt are likely indispensible as well, Thorne as Jon's nemesis on the Wall and Slynt for his involvement in the conspiracies and counter-conspiracies in King's Landing and Tyrion's 'revenge' on him later on.

I am sure you could cast an extra as Cersei's pet or rejig the storyline to eliminate Pycelle's character.

Forel? Just because he helps Arya escape? Again, you could rejig it to something like she sees the Kingsguard coming after her and makes a run for it before they get her.

Payne, I don't think you need to cast an actor for it, he doesn't say a word. Just get someone to stand and wield the sword.

As I mentioned, Slynt and Thorne are not that major, they could be cut as well if push came to shove.

Of course, ideally we'd like to see every character ever mentioned but that's not likely, especially with a 10 episode season.

I am sure you could cast an extra as Cersei's pet or rejig the storyline to eliminate Pycelle's character.

Maybe you could. But they haven't. The role has been cast and the character is in the scripts.

Forel? Just because he helps Arya escape? Again, you could rejig it to something like she sees the Kingsguard coming after her and makes a run for it before they get her.

Again, you could. But Forel is in like two scenes, gets a memorable catchphrase and one of the best death/action scenes in the book/season. I don't see the value of cutting him out. Sure, some minor characters have to go, but you don't have to cut out everyone.

Payne, I don't think you need to cast an actor for it, he doesn't say a word. Just get someone to stand and wield the sword.

True. You need someone with presence and doesn't mind make-up (Payne is pox-scarred, IIRC), but you don't need a great thespian for this role.

As I mentioned, Slynt and Thorne are not that major, they could be cut as well if push came to shove.

In the grand scheme of things, no they are not that major. However, they do have important story functions to fulfil. You need a captain of the goldcloaks to betray Ned, so you may as well use Slynt, and you need a nemesis of Jon's on the Wall, which might as well be Thorne. I suspect Thorne will also play a much bigger role in ADWD as Jon's primary opposition on the Wall.

In addition (possibly major ADWD spoiler):

Slynt will only be around until the start of Season 4 anyway.

Of course, ideally we'd like to see every character ever mentioned but that's not likely, especially with a 10 episode season.

I fully agree, although HBO have handled much bigger casts than this (85 named, recognisable, recurring characters by the end of The Wire). The characters you mention I think are simply too important to dismiss out of hand, and writing any of them out would involve restructuring the story and tweaking other character's storylines.

Much more likely to be culled, I think, are servants in Winterfell, minor lords who don't do anything, possibly characters who become more important later on who can be minimized or even removed in the first season (such as Thoros of Myr; arguably he doesn't need to show up in the first season at all and we just get his story in flashback in Season 3) and possibly storylines which, although important thematically, are not that important to the actual plot itself, such as maybe the Karstark plotline (simply have some minor lordlings killed by Jaime and some of the others get antsy over Robb holding him prisoner, but leave it at that).