OK vs Okay

So there isn't actually a correct one??

I find that I'm using Okay in speech, and OK for anything else.

I think, to be pedantic, okay is the more formal one and, probably the more correct, except in dialogue where slang is more prevalent (which is opposite to what you're doing) but neither would present a problem to readers, agents or publishers. Bear in mind I have done no research on this and my advice might be very un-okay. But provided you're consistent, I don't think it's a biggy at all.

I don't know what the 'official' advice is, but I always use 'okay'. I just don't like the look of 'OK' - as springs says, the longer form is more formal (although I do disagree about using 'OK' in dialogue!).

I used to use 'OK', then someone (genuinely can't remember who) advised I change it to 'okay', and I did, and came to prefer it.

I have to admit, I was never sure on the shortened version OK.

I just wasn't sure if there was any official advice because some books that I've read used OK a lot more than Okay, and I wasn't sure if there were some sort of guidelines on when to use each one.

I prefer okay. But as a reader... I don't think the difference would even feature on my radar.

I agree with Springs - there maybe house rules but if the only thing they don't like about your manuscript is you have used OK instead of okay it is unlikely to be rejected for that reason. They'd ask you change it.

I was told it was OK, two letters, both capitals. Also, ID is two letter, both capitals, to distinguish it from id.

It's 'okay' in fiction. At least, that's what I've always done and that's the house style of both my publishers. I tend to use 'ok/Ok' when writing informally, unless I can be arsed to write 'okay.' I only ever use OK on my phone, because it autocorrects to that. I don't like both caps at all, it makes me think of Oklahoma. I guess because I'm constantly staring at state codes at work.

I use okay, just because it looks nicer on the page.

Everything has already been said, but, I prefer 'okay' it looks better on the page I think, it's the same with any black capitals in the middle of lower case.

Well, I really prefer 'ok' but I was recently told is was incorrect and that they needed to be capitals. So spelling it out is the lesser of two evils for me.

I used to use 'OK', then someone (genuinely can't remember who) advised I change it to 'okay', and I did, and came to prefer it.
This is pretty close to what happened to me. But it was mostly because they said they couldn't see a man from 100 A.D. use OK instead of Okay. Even then they wanted to see him use something else.

This is pretty close to what happened to me. But it was mostly because they said they couldn't see a man from 100 A.D. use OK instead of Okay. Even then they wanted to see him use something else.

Nobody from that long ago even spoke English. :confused: Check out its proposed etymology.

Back