Scar Night (Book Club)

Ok, finally finished the book. I must say I'm a bit disappointed in the ending. I had finally gotten over not being able to 'picture' Deepgate and all of it's chains and then the final scenes need that image to be able to assimilate. How does a chain holding up the city be below it, at ground level moving up? The Tooth is on the ground when it cuts one of the foundation chains which logically says that it moves up to the city. Then, the broken chain sweeps through the city? And a city being held up by heavy chains has ground access where all the survivors of the city can walk out into the desert? It just seems a bit strange though that could be my incompetant thinker.

I suppose the actual plot itself was interesting enough, a god worshipped for centuries is discovered as a fraud, but only by those close to him and then he is destroyed. What about the masses of survivors? How are they to know what has happened. Will they ever? Will they just believe that their 'god' has abandoned them? Will they ever have faith in anything again? Or will they just move their faith onto the next 'godlike' image they come accross? I must say that though I was a tad disappointed, I'm still interested in finding out what may happen next. Are all the gods to be revealed as unworthy?

Oh and Theresa, the reason the League of Ropes confused me was because it seemed that it was a portion of the city suspended over another portion of the city, else they wouldn't have needed the rope bridges. Why would they need to build their hovels above the city?

What about Blackthrone? Was it just a convenient device - a mountain of rock from the sky with an ore that would create chains strong enough to contain an entire city? Or is it a clue to the previous civilisation that created the Tooth? The book gave me more questions than answers. A bit bloodier than I would have liked but it was interesting enough.

On the other hand, I think this was a calculated decision on the part of the author. I think he wanted us to see how sheltered and isolated Dill was. How his mental and emotional development had been stunted by the unnatural conditions in which he lived. And maybe something about his essential purity that he wasn't twisted by it as well. But having made that decision, perhaps he did lay on the childlike innocence a little too heavily. It was a bit confusing in the early part of the book.
Yes, he did seem more childlike but I tend to believe it was done deliberately for two reasons. First he was completely sheltered, lived inside the temple for most of his life alone and isolated and with only elderly or annoying priests to talk to. Perhaps I agree that it was a bit overdone, especially since near the end, when he has been revived that he basically has no personality at all. Does he even say anything over two or three words? That could be due to the strangeness of the angelwine. I suppose we may see about that in later books.

Deepgate was a fascinating character and I do hope it gets revived and becomes a bit less dead - much like Dill after the angelwine.

Oops, must go, doggy has to pee! More later.

Mmmmm I was a bit confused about the chains at first, so I just let my brain come up with something that made semi-sense and then let it go! I imagined it hanging with the right side being chained across to the left cliff and the left side to the right cliff, and then supporting chains below the city. It doesn't really work from an engineering point of view, but I think if I had spent too much time thinking about it I never would have finished the book!

Unfortunately I was unable to come up with a logical setup for the city. If I had been told that it was just magically suspended, I wouldn't have had an issue. But, it was held up and supported by chains so those chains should have a logical placement. And, they probably do but the author didn't give me enough information to get it. Now, it didn't make me hate the book or anything, it was just kind of like an itch I couldn't scratch which probably dimmed my enjoyment of the story itself.

so is this book part of a series as i hate to start to read a book then find out its part of series and the next ones not out for a year or so...?

Yes, it is the first book of a series. I don't remember (if I ever knew) whether more than two parts are intended or not, nor when the second book is supposed to come out -- although it has already been almost a year since the first.