Old Horror Films - Scary Voice Trailer Man

Toby Frost

Supporter
A lot of older horror films seem to have the same deep-voiced American announcer saying dramatic things on their trailers - "Tell yourself it's only a movie", "Terror you cannot believe", "Diabolical fiends from beyond the grave" etc. It's rather kitsch and slightly camp, especially given that a lot of these films were probably very mediocre. Does anyone know whether it was one man doing all these voice-overs and, if so, who he was?

I'm sure I read an article on this a while ago, but I've no idea where it was.

Reminds me of Vic Perrin for Outer Limits

Also Readdick for The Shadow

Are you sure that what you remember was all the voice of same voice actor?

It's certainly a Horror/SF trope. The same kind of thing that you hear Matt Berry doing it on TV adverts, or in What We Do in the Shadows.

I'm not sure it's the same guy at all: it's definitely the same sort of American accent, and the same kind of "sinister authority figure" style. It might just have been the accepted style at the time. That said, I'm sure I once read an article about a man who had done hundreds of these things.

I think it was more of a tone than a specific voice, fairly easy to replicate for different movie studios and hard for anyone to trademark. I'm betting it was different voice overs for different movies for different studios.