Shannara Series

Hi there, nice to meet another Brooks fan!

I only just heard about this prequel series coming out. Although, I do have that novel 'The First King of Shannara', which I guess was written AFTER the sword series, but is supposed to take place before. I've attempted to read it several times, and for some reason still haven't finished it.

Have you read Scions of Shannara? I really enjoyed that one; I think more than The Sword books. But I do look forward to finishing the voyage of Jerle series.

A while back, I read the first book in this series and by the end of it I found myself "skimming" the book in an effort to be done with it. I hate to put a book down once I start it. Having said that I almost put this book down and I found this story bored me.

Rahl

I like the idea of getting to read the prequel to the Shannara series. I gave up on his High Druid Series as it felt it didnt have the depth of character that the others had. The Isle Witch character didnt seem to well crafted to me.

So I'm hoping he does better with a prequel :D

Circus Cranium said:
Hi there, nice to meet another Brooks fan!

I only just heard about this prequel series coming out. Although, I do have that novel 'The First King of Shannara', which I guess was written AFTER the sword series, but is supposed to take place before. I've attempted to read it several times, and for some reason still haven't finished it.

Have you read Scions of Shannara? I really enjoyed that one; I think more than The Sword books. But I do look forward to finishing the voyage of Jerle series.

Yep, read them all when they first came out. OHH showing my age methinks!!

Have a good one!!:) :)

rune said:
I like the idea of getting to read the prequel to the Shannara series. I gave up on his High Druid Series as it felt it didnt have the depth of character that the others had. The Isle Witch character didnt seem to well crafted to me.

So I'm hoping he does better with a prequel :D

Hi again Rune!

Interseting comments and YES a preqel series I think will prove most intriguing. He states at least six books by the way, so expect more than six!

Bye for now...:D :D

GOLLUM said:
Hi again Rune!

Interseting comments and YES a preqel series I think will prove most intriguing. He states at least six books by the way, so expect more than six!

Bye for now...:D :D

Sounds like it's going to be involved. The more I think about this the more it intriques me. I often wondered when it was referred to in the Shannara series what kind of world it had been and why it all went wrong. Hmm sounds interesting :)

When's the first book out :D :D

rune said:
Sounds like it's going to be involved. The more I think about this the more it intriques me. I often wondered when it was referred to in the Shannara series what kind of world it had been and why it all went wrong. Hmm sounds interesting :)

details to come...

rune said:

Sorry, got sidetracked with something at work.

OK then,

The stories will cover from the Great Wars to the beginning of the First Druid Council and be at least six books.

The first trilogy covers the destruction of the old world (I've always assumed this was us Nuking ourselves and in fact several references are found in the shannara sereis regarding "science gone wrong" in the "early days") to the appearance of the races as we know them in Including the coimng out of the Elves, Elfstones and the King Of The Silver River.

Book one is due around August 2006. Don't have a Title yet.

Bye for now.. :D :D :D

Thanks for the info Gollum :D . Shame we have to wait over a year to find out

(The first trilogy covers the destruction of the old world (I've always assumed this was us Nuking ourselves and in fact several references are found in the shannara sereis regarding "science gone wrong" in the "early days")

The first hint I got of this is in Isle Witch at the end (I haven't read the other 2 in the series, so don't tell me if it will spoil it) when they found that lost city, with it's machines and weirdly advance technology. It was like...huh? The Four Lands have always been sort of like a medieval STar Wars, some distant off world, but suddenly it was like Planet of The Apes.........is this OUR world, post apocalypse? Vewy Intewesting.....

Circus Cranium said:
(The first trilogy covers the destruction of the old world (I've always assumed this was us Nuking ourselves and in fact several references are found in the shannara sereis regarding "science gone wrong" in the "early days")

The first hint I got of this is in Isle Witch at the end (I haven't read the other 2 in the series, so don't tell me if it will spoil it) when they found that lost city, with it's machines and weirdly advance technology. It was like...huh? The Four Lands have always been sort of like a medieval STar Wars, some distant off world, but suddenly it was like Planet of The Apes.........is this OUR world, post apocalypse? Vewy Intewesting.....

Actually I've always assumed this since reading the Sword Of Shannnara in the early '80s If you go back over this book you'll get a sense of this, at least I did.

Bye for now..:D

rune said:
Thanks for the info Gollum :D . Shame we have to wait over a year to find out

Don't forget the current trilogy concludes around August this year. Terry pretty much writes 1 book/year, which is a pretty good output really.

Cheers.:cool:

Just trying to think why I've read all of the Shannhara books when I really don't like them :rolleyes: Seriously except for the one with Amberle, they didn't strike any note within me.

Lacedaemonian said:
I read them when I was twelve and recognised then their lack of worth.

Whoaa that's a bit harsh. Yes to some extent they are Tolkien clones and the writing is a bit cliched BUT I quite enjoyed Terry's work. I've always viewed it more as YA fiction.

Not a patch on Keyes, Erikson, Martin, Elliott, JV Jones, Wolfe, Donaldson etc.. IMHO but certainly not the worst I've ever read!!

Over and out.. :D :D

GOLLUM said:
I've always viewed it more as YA fiction.

I'm not sure about that... I dont enjoy it and I dont know anyone my age that did, and just the other day I saw a guy on the bus who was at least in his forties reading it.

a|one said:
I'm not sure about that... I dont enjoy it and I dont know anyone my age that did, and just the other day I saw a guy on the bus who was at least in his forties reading it.

Fair point.

I'm probably referring to the fact that as a teenager in the 80s it was one of the main series I was heavily into at that time.:)

So Lacedaemonian what fantasy series are you into?

*Sorry if you've posted this somewhere else already..:cool:

What fantasy series am I into? Good question. Gemmell, Feist, Martin, Tolkien, JV Jones..... I liked Eddings when I was younger.... hmmm