Nine princes to Amber - Roger Zelazny

Jucifer

What does everyone think of Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes series? To me he is classic. Semi gods fighting for control of alternate realities by negotiation a maze in Amber that gives them powers to walk in different realities and on the other side negoitating the Logrus in courts of Chaos which gives them shapeshifting and sorcery powers. I loved it and keep reading it over from time to time.

Hi Jucifer, and welcome to the chronicles-network. :)

Not read Nine Princes, but have read Lord of Light - very interesting sf take on the Hindu pantheon.

I've only read The Hand of Oberon (I think) and it failed to impress - perhaps because it was a mid-series volume? Nothing at all seemed to happen beyond a lot of reunions and recaps. Lords of Light was excellent though.

In any case, the collected edition from the Fantasy Masterworks series is on my list, so I ought to have a more considered opnion some time in the near future.

knivesout said:
I've only read The Hand of Oberon (I think) and it failed to impress - perhaps because it was a mid-series volume? Nothing at all seemed to happen beyond a lot of reunions and recaps. Lords of Light was excellent though.

In any case, the collected edition from the Fantasy Masterworks series is on my list, so I ought to have a more considered opnion some time in the near future.
Not reading the first book is probably the problem. I woulnd't know what to make out of all of it without reading the first book or reading it out of sequence. The books in the series are very short. Each one should take you no more than 3 days to read. Roger is one guy who does not mince with words. Reading his amber series books is like watching a movie. I'm surprised no one adopted the amber series to the screen yet.

I haven't heard anything about extending the series. I would be suspicious of any extension. Sell out?

I wouldn't mind having that power...:cool:

The first series was about Corum and then about his son Merlin. The premise that you can find a world where you are a god or look like their god is awesome. A D&D players wet dream perhaps?

If they all create shadows of themselves, then Merlin it seems will have a shadow that will teach some kid named Arthur?

Not sure how the rest of Amber actually works as the world hasn't been developed fully.

I get the feeling that Amber is actually just an Island with a Sea somewhere with connections to various shadows. No idea how big the place really is supposed to be.

I've not read the Amber books...yet but I have read some of his others. I particularly enjoyed Damnation Alley and the book of short stories The Doors Of His Face, The Lamps Of His Mouth.

All in all, a fine and imaginitive writer. I will get around to the Amber Chronicles....one day.

Yea. The first part of the series is all about Prince Corwin of Amber. You just got to love him. What a great character. You really can't tell if he is good or evil. He has so many enemies and pisses so many people off that you got to think he has an evil streak to him yet he is charismatic enough to be charm all of us.

I'm sure Amber is huge but the book concentrates on the palace where the famous pattern of Amber lies and its mirror immage under the sea at rebma/amber.

As for the second part of the series its about Prince Corwin's ******* son Merlin who Prince Corwin was tricked into having by a creature of the Courts of Choas where the Logrus lies. Some sort of a maze that only the royalty demon shapshifters of chaos negotiate or go insane and die while trying to walk in it. If they manage to emerge out of the Logrus with their sanity they become lords of chaos.

Merlin is special because he is the only one who walked both the Amber Pattern and the Logrus. He is the closest thing to a god in all the shadows or alternate realities. He can walk into other realities or bring items from other realities to him. He is also a shapeshifter just like all the creatures of Chaos. He has no true form. He is a demon when reverting to his courts of chaos form.

This is the only factual information I have seen to date concerning the possibility of an Amber movie.

From the Hollywood Reporter:
9:36pm ET, 8-October-98 Zelazny's Amber Headed To Film Ed Neumeier, who adapted Robert Heinlein's classic SF novel Starship Troopers for the big screen, will next turn his hand to Roger Zelazny's fantasy novel Nine Princes in Amber, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Producer Mark Canton and Batman Forever writer Akiva Goldsman are teaming with Neumeier to turn Nine Princes into a feature film. The story centers around a man who awakens one day with amnesia, only to learn that he is the prince of a powerful realm that exists on a greater plane than our own. He finds he must fight his way through political intrigues that would put the Greek gods to shame even as he struggles to regain his memory.
Here's a link to some more information: http://www.variety.com/search/article.asp?articleID=1117750512
Information on the mini-series
SCI FI Channel Announces Ambitious New Slate of Original Movies and Miniseries
Entertainment Editors
NEW YORK--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--April 2, 2002--
(snip)
THE CHRONICLES OF AMBER (4-hour miniseries) - Based on award-winning writer Roger Zelazny's (Lord of the Light, Creatures of Light and Darkness, Home is the Hangman, A Rose For Ecclesiastes) classic international-best selling 10 volume "Chronicles of Amber" series (over 3 1/2 million copies worldwide have been translated into ten languages), this is the story of a royal family with amazing powers over time and space who are plagued by infighting as they try to unite against a sinister enemy. Corwin is a prince of Amber, the "immortal city from which every other city has taken its shape." He has spent centuries on Earth as an amnesiac but when someone in the family tries to kill him, Corwin begins a search for his past. Richard Christian Matheson (Sole Survivor) will adapt the screenplay for SCI FI. Tom Patricia (First Shot, King of the World: The Muhammad Ali Story, Intensity, Medusa's Child, The Linda McCartney Story) of Patriarch Pictures will serve as executive producer.

Classic but not my favorite which are Isle of Dead or in a very different way, Bring me the head of Prince Charming.

I'm quite surprise to see that Zelazny has no dedicated part here. Is one is planned in near or long future ?

Well, if you feel inclined to start a couple of threads on Zelazny books, that would probably be enough to start a section just for him. Reviews are more than welcome, too. :)

Having only read the Chronicals of Amber (books 1 to 5), and having thoroughly enjoyed them, what else of his should I read?

Having only read the Chronicals of Amber (books 1 to 5), and having thoroughly enjoyed them, what else of his should I read?
AH well you could start by reading his classic novel Lord Of Light. It's arguably his best work.

Also check out Isle Of The Dead, Doorways in the Sand and The Dream Master. There's plenty more but members like JD Worthington will be able to fill in more for you.