The Mandalorian - Chapter Nine - The Marshal

ctg

weaver of the unseen
XjHSPXK.jpg

The Mandalorian is drawn to the Outer Rim in search of others of his kind.

It is kind of amazing that in less than a space of year they've managed to make another whole series of the Mandalorian when usually it has taken much longer time for the live stuff. Animated I get, but this is Star Wars, with it's amazing civilisations.

Some that has surpassed primitive cultures like our own a long, long time ago. Even Mando's own one has been swept away by the sands of time. Most of them are ancient warriors that should not have place in the modern, none Imperium society.

It is kind of sad that the Rebellion or the New Republic is doing pretty bad job after the final ending of the Emperor. What if the Mandalorians had done the second war and kicked both of their asses to rule the galaxy?

I'd imagine that thing would like much different and more like Roman kind of society, where the noble cast of mandos would act as senators to one wielding the Black Sabre.

As you can, the one can only wield it if they have won it in the battle. Back in the Old Republic days and before, the Mandalorians battled protosabre wielding people, who later evolved to Jedi and Sith with normal blades made out of beskar.

In the Rebels, you can see many mandalorians and earlier fighters as mummified corpses at the Sith Temple floor. So, seeing him doing the bar fight and winning it kind of proofs that he could possible take the Black Sabre from Moff. He could probably win the fight even with a lightsabre.

Maybe.

It was no surprise that Mando and the Child ended going in Tatoiene find lost legends like a Mandalorian. After all all the interesting characters end there. Even Maul ended his days in there in the hands of Old Kenobi.

The problem is Mando's quest is to find a race that is super rare in the galaxy. And yet, he's seeking his own people as well, as if they'd have better answers. Maybe he should realise that the Mandalorians aren't exactly known as the Keepers of the Knowledge.

Old Luke had to dig out ancient books on his quest for knowledge of the Force. So, for the galactic databanks getting erased and data updated things get lost. And most probably never be found. Again.

O5RaHvs.jpg

"Oh hi, wazzup?"

It is kind of curious that Marshall is wearing a jetback. The Z-6 jetpacks are only known to be given to the DeathWatch members and sometimes it can be found on members that operate in the fringes, like for example Boba and Jango Fett.

Yet, you look rest of his kit and it's unlike he's one of the clan members. Especially not one coming from the infamous DeathWatch. So, I wasn't feeling too surprised, when he revealed that he'd bought the kit from Javas. Those thieves and that planet, no wonder. Although I do wonder what kind of stuff you really can find from the desert rats, if you really looked into their supply?

I loved that Marshall promised to exchange the kit for Mando killing the worm.

wSDLNcT.jpg

Mando can speak Sand People's language? I was shocked and couldn't believe my eyes, but I guess it makes sense since he has roamed around the desert planet many times. Typically the natives are last people on anyone list to go for aid or anything.

Anakin never trusted them and was never willing to have words about the brutes taking his mum as slave. To him it was all about the revenge, while to Mando, doing these sorts of gigs seems to be the norm. It is almost as if he is the good guy. Is he?

He certainly is a hero and a dragon slayer for surviving getting eaten and feeding the worm an explosive loaded Bantha. It's just its incredible to think that he survived the acid that vaporised all the others. The armour might make it but what about rest of the stuff?

Does the armour now include some sort of shield?

What did you think about the Mando and his quest?

This is a great series -- minimum mystery, maximum action -- just sit back and enjoy.
Disney is probably saving a bundle by recycling old sets and locations. I don't mind revisiting Tatooine and its inhabitants.
I felt sorry for the poor Bantha. In the close-ups, I could almost sense them thinking "do we look like bait?" Nice to be first in line to be blown up and/or eaten alive.
Timothy Olyphant, the reluctant sheriff of Deadwood, appearing as Mos Pelgo "Marshal" Cobb Vanth, was a pleasant surprise. I guess Olyphant keeps getting pulled into law enforcement, even in a galaxy far, far away.
I thought that Mando might let Cobb keep the armor, which was being put to good use. Can't buck that Mandalorian Code.

Sometimes I think it'd be worth converting to sandpeoplism just for the Bantha steaks.
On the topic of meat, I was wondering how the Sandpeople planned to preserve the bonanza they were carving off the Krayt Dragon carcass. They don't seem like they would have a lot of refrigeration options in their homes.

Just re-watched this with my grandson. What was that bowling ball the Sandpeople pulled out of the dragon near the end. It seemed to be cause for great celebration.

The notable thing about this series/program is that I can watch it without moaning too much.

Although I am waiting for the "Shane" episode.

Reactions: ctg
I felt sorry for the poor Bantha.

Which one? I felt kind of sorry for the old wyrm. Hopefully he'll feed many families.

Timothy Olyphant, the reluctant sheriff of Deadwood, appearing as Mos Pelgo "Marshal" Cobb Vanth, was a pleasant surprise. I guess Olyphant keeps getting pulled into law enforcement, even in a galaxy far, far away.

Interesting. He had that sheriff demeanour and he wasn't taking any sh1t. When they met in the cantina I was certain there was going to be a fight, but then I thought Mando would cheat his way through it, even if Marshall fired first.

I thought that Mando might let Cobb keep the armor, which was being put to good use. Can't buck that Mandalorian Code.

What Mando is going to do with the old kit? Store it in his ship for later day. One thing though is Boba Fett's and does Mando know who he was?

What was that bowling ball the Sandpeople pulled out of the dragon near the end.

Yep. Java's are going to be good money for it. Hutt's even more. Speaking of which, where are all the Hutt's? They have a whole region of space named after them.

On the topic of meat, I was wondering how the Sandpeople planned to preserve the bonanza they were carving off the Krayt Dragon carcass. They don't seem like they would have a lot of refrigeration options in their homes.
Cure it in the desert heat perhaps?

Yes, a great start to season 2.

I have but two questions. Well #2 has multiple parts -

What was that bowling ball the Sandpeople pulled out of the dragon near the end. It seemed to be cause for great celebration.
Yep. Java's are going to be good money for it. Hutt's even more.
But, what is it? A Pearl? Some kind of egg? Horta eggs?

2. Was the whole "finding a Mandalorian on Tatooine to ask him where to find the baby's own kind" plot just one big MacGuffin?
Mando never asked the Marshal that question in the end, so was the one-eyed guy lying? The Marshal wasn't even a real Mandalorian, but he did dress as one, and so could be mistaken for one, So, was the one-eyed guy simply mistaken?

Or, was the mysterious watcher on the hilltop in the closing seconds the real Mandalorian he should have been looking for? Or was he someone else entirely?

Was the whole "finding a Mandalorian on Tatooine to ask him where to find the baby's own kind" plot just one big MacGuffin?
Yeah! Why does he need Mandalorian reinforcements to complete his "armor quest" when he can vanquish a half-dozen armed thugs without breaking a sweat?

... was the mysterious watcher on the hilltop in the closing seconds the real Mandalorian he should have been looking for?
That was my guess. Was he somehow bested by the Jawas and stripped of his armor? Was he waiting for Mandalorian help to get it back?

Now look folks, if we're going to start pointing out problems with the plot and getting picky.......

Can't we just sit back and enjoy the ride?

Can't we just sit back and enjoy the ride?
I want to know where we are going to. I'm difficult like that. The ticket inspector can throw me off.

But these are valid questions. They aren't going to show a silhouette of someone in the last few seconds of the show for no reason at all. Not when they could have shown more.... eggs instead! They would have to pay the actor for no reason. It must be important to the story.

I want to know where we are going to. I'm difficult like that. The ticket inspector can throw me off.

But these are valid questions. They aren't going to show a silhouette of someone in the last few seconds of the show for no reason at all. Not when they could have shown more.... eggs instead! They would have to pay the actor for no reason. It must be important to the story.

Yes but you know me. If I start questioning things we'll end up in a worm infested slime lined tunnel and people will start calling me names.

Just convince yourself he was just a casual observer placed there to give a bit of atmosphere to the ending sequence.

Doubtless he was paid, probably for a walk on role in the bar. Mandy walks in and he leaves kind of thing. Sadly that scene had to be cut so he kicked up a fuss about wasting a day so they shoved him in the last scene to stop the law suit. I think you'll find he makes no further appearances and all this speculation will be for nought.

Far better to lie back and wonder what that noise was outside and why there's a cold chill in the air on this night of all hallows.

One of the things I wonder about is if we are going to revisit some more, perhaps all, Mando's friends from the Chapters 1-8.

Note that we didn't see Mando leave the planet. I assume that he's still looking for the Mandalorian there. Mando said that having another Mandalorian with him would increase his knowledge of the information sources in the area.

I assume the sand people found an egg. But that it was shown might hint at something else.

I assume the man on the hill is the missing Mandalorian. But how is he living sans armor? A mandalorian is supposed to die rather than live without his armor.

Did the people the "dragon" spat on dissolve? I thought they simply were covered with gunk. That would explain Mando's ability to survive a few seconds inside what I have to call a "sand worm." --- Dune anyone?

Please please please stop all this analysis and speculation.

Accept it as an series of moderately connected images meant to distract us from the tedium and problems of the world.

Surely (and here I make a massive assumption, maybe even larger than the one where I believe the sun will return every day) you are all uncritical fans of the SW franchise. So, here are some images that will be entering your brain. There will be sounds that accompany those images that will intermingle and make for a time of contentment.

There's no need to go any further than that.

If you find yourself worrying about the technicalities of acid re-flux in a creature that has the contents of it's stomach flushed with sand with every meter if moves forward distract yourself.

Don't wonder how it would be possible to have any liquid at all in it's entire body given the nature of it's diet.

Try not to weigh what method of propulsion allows it to move at speeds that cover the distance from it's cave to town faster than a guy riding a jet propelled hover bike for a day and night: through sand and rock.

Resist the urge to ask how such a large creature could live for months on a few elephantine snacks.

Indulge not in the problems of heave and settlement as a creature the size of ten blue whales only disturbs the ground upwards and not sideways and yet appear only a tenth of it's size when it visits town.

Speculate not on the teeth, on how they are not worn away after two minutes of sand travel, why they are there since it seems to swallow whole and are far too forward of it's mouth to actually chew anything. If they are for biting chucks off - OFF OF WHAT?

If we're looking for "the rip off factors" we could disappoint ourselves by thinking of

MIB

Tremors (probably the same creature)
Dune
A Fist Full of Dollars (or any other western with a sheriff)

Not better to watch and accept IMHO.

I'm with TEiN. Any questions we have will be answered, in time. Just chill, go with the flow. and wait for the story to be told. Hey, so far so good. Right?

I assume the man on the hill is the missing Mandalorian. But how is he living sans armor? A mandalorian is supposed to die rather than live without his armor.

Wasn't that Boba Fett and his armour? He is not a Mandalorian and doesn't follow the Way.

Back