Cordwainer Smith

Would Space Lords be an approachable book with which to approach Smith?
SL1a.gif

That ship is also used on the cover of The Rediscovery of Man. :cool:

I haven't seen it mentioned on the thread - forgive me if it has - but Cordwainer Smith was mercilessly ripped off (not a phrase I use lightly) for the 2000ad comic strip Meltdown Man back in the 1980s. A strip which included a cat girl character and an underground psychic eagle with telepathic powers and a whole raft of other animal-people cruelly kept in thrall by a human nobility. It's not a subtle strip, violent and puerile like most of 2000ad back then. I acquired a pile of 2000ADs the other day when someone was having a clearout and threw them my way and flipped through them before heading them off to eBay. The blatent steals in them are incredible. The Meltdown Man / Cordwainer Smith one must be one of the more interesting bits of comic book plagiarism I have come across.

EDIT: Serendipitous! My 2000th post!

I've always liked the two cat names from his short story, "A Game Of Rat And Dragon" about pinlighters and their telepathic cats!
Lady May and Captain Wow!

He had a great combination of fanciful ideas and really solid world-building. One of my true inspirations.

Read Norstrilia a long time ago....

"A Game Of Rat And Dragon"
Also I like the crew titles....
We have a go-go captain and a stop-stop captain

Edit: maybe I'm getting confused with Norstrilia!
because of this thread I acquired the Rediscovery of Man--the omnibus of all his shorts-- and the go-captain is in that short story however I don't think the stop-captain shows up until the next story in the book. "The Burning of the Brain"
I'm going to have to re-read Norstrilia before I can confirm the mention of go- and stop-captains.

There is really nobody quite like Cordwainer Smith .
Having just finished the omnibus, I think I got the feel of that--however influenced by the fact that the introductions kept claiming the same.
While I read though, I felt that the tone could be similar to Ray Bradbury.
And having come off recently reading Gene Wolf and his sun series I'd say there were some comparable things within the style though Gene Wolf's universe was one with a distinct(if somewhat dysfunctional)religion where Cordwainer's universe was trying to bury or maybe sanction the practice of religion.

As far as the somewhat novel ideas and sometimes surprise endings I might compare
James Worrads Feral series; which I recently read(the paper copies).
I think if you like Cordwainer's stories you should enjoy the Feral Series.

Having just finished the omnibus, I think I got the feel of that--however influenced by the fact that the introductions kept claiming the same.
While I read though, I felt that the tone could be similar to Ray Bradbury.
And having come off recently reading Gene Wolf and his sun series I'd say there were some comparable things within the style though Gene Wolf's universe was one with a distinct(if somewhat dysfunctional)religion where Cordwainer's universe was trying to bury or maybe sanction the practice of religion.

As far as the somewhat novel ideas and sometimes surprise endings I might compare
James Worrads Feral series; which I recently read(the paper copies).
I think if you like Cordwainer's stories you should enjoy the Feral Series.

Im not familiar with James Worrads :unsure: