Brian Herbert

Rosemary

The Wicked Sword Maiden
Has anyone read any of Brian Herbert's books?

His next book 'Hunters of Dune' is due to be released in May I believe.
Does he write as well as his father?

I really enjoyed The Dune Series, and wondered if this would be a good follow up...:)

I have never read a solo Brian Herbert effort, thus I generally blame the abomination that are the Dune prequels on his traditionally awful collaborator, Kevin J. Anderson. I will add that the Dune prequels, although without doubt having the pungent stench of Anderson's complete inability to write a compelling book, it also has a unique stink to it that may indeed be Herbert, or perhaps one Anderson saves only for his Dune work.

Does he write as well as his father?

I can't imagine thats possible. Anyone who consistently needs Kevin J. Anderson's assistance, can't possibly be in the same class as Frank Hebert IMHO.

I really enjoyed The Dune Series, and wondered if this would be a good follow up

I hate to use the same word twice, but its the word that really just thunders in my mind when I think about the several Dune books Anderson and Herbert have written - abomination. They basically adapted Dune into the very worst of Star Wars novelization quality rubbish, that Anderson is the master of producing. It compeltely baffles me that out of all the writers one could have attracted with this project many years ago - the son would choose Anderson,

I love Dune, but the only Dune I recognize is written by Frank Herbert. The prequels are just awful IMHO.

^^^^ What he said.

Though I did once read a good book by Anderson. Or at least, a vaguely ok one. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was called:(

The first Dune sequel was okish, I though, but all the others I read were extremely poor indeed. Nowhere near the quality of the original Dune series...

Although personally I'd put the Dune Sequels in as an ok read, I dont really disagree with whats been said. What in the first book could be accepted as scene setting turned out to be their general style of writting, so the longer these prequals go on the more simplistic it seems...

Possible spoilers..........

Herbert created this whole dynamic universe and the prequals have it all evolving in the one generation :confused: a bit like having the entire lord of the rings world comming into being, from apes to Bilbo, solely durring the course of the hobit??

His Dune books that he cowrote with Keven J Anderson are quite good. :)

LOL. 2006! How did this get resurrected? :)

I've read a few of Brian Herbert's Dune series of prequel novels. I appreciate that they aren't well regarded and I understand why. I have read five of them and I must confess that I quite enjoyed the ones that I have read. They made for a nice, easy reading on my commute to and from work.

LOL. 2006! How did this get resurrected? :)

I've read a few of Brian Herbert's Dune series of prequel novels. I appreciate that they aren't well regarded and I understand why. I have read five of them and I must confess that I quite enjoyed the ones that I have read. They made for a nice, easy reading on my commute to and from work.

And they're are popular enough so that they've stayed in print. :)