World Book Day

Adasunshine

Everything in Moderation
Just thought I'd let you know it's coming up even though some of us aren't in school anymore...

Thursday 2nd March 2006, an excuse to take the this time off work/school and read all the live long day... :D

http://www.worldbookday.com/

xx

Adasunshine said:
Just thought I'd let you know it's coming up even though some of us aren't in school anymore...

Thursday 2nd March 2006, an excuse to take the this time off work/school and read all the live long day... :D

http://www.worldbookday.com/

xx
I can no longer book myself a world, as the bookshop at which I used to participate is no more (I walked past it last weekend and it's now selling sexually explicit underwear. How are the mighty fallen)

Previously we did readings (and got kids to do readings, which is even scarier), had multilingual discussin groups, created universes; all gone.

Try doing that through Amazon.:(

chrispenycate said:
I can no longer book myself a world, as the bookshop at which I used to participate is no more (I walked past it last weekend and it's now selling sexually explicit underwear. How are the mighty fallen)
Actually I'm not complaining, at least not fully.....;)

Still I've never been involved in this concept of a world book day before. The only things we had other than specific writers festivals as a school child in particular was the so-called Read-A-Thons where you'ld have people sponsor you for reading as many books as possible within a given time period, for which the monies raised would go to various institutes and charities.

Yeah we had readathons, and also I used to like the £1 voucher they'd give us to get some 'made for world book day' book from the bookshop. And we used to do projects... it was a great excuse to read and call it 'work'. It was fun.....

Read-a-thons and World Book Day are both important to my way of looking at it.

Reading to gain money for charity is rewarding, giving others a chance in life.

World Book Day has always seemed to me as an encouragement for our young readers and those who may have difficulty reading. I used to help out, as a parent, in our Primary School Library and World Book Day was always very popular. How I used to love watching some of the older children helping the little ones read!

I say we should have a World Book Day more often...although then it would need a different name! :)

I didnt see anything in my area regarding this. Don't know if there is a big drive here for encouraging reading either

They actually hardly advertise it anymore around here either - when I was young it was like this huge big deal, and now it's just like... nothing :( it's very sad.

Back