Baen Free Library

Incognito

going spare!
I was just wondering - has anyone here tried out anything at the Baen Free Library?

http://www.baen.com/library/

I just had a friend raving over some of the books that they've read there - so I was curious as to whether anyone's tried it, and whether it was useful?

I'd be even more curious as to whether anyone actually thinks it's a realistic way to draw in new readers?

Well, I hadn't heard of it before but I absolutely think it is a great idea. IMO, Eric Flint is right. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising out there. He is also right in thinking that readers who enjoy a book cannot contain themselves and have to tell someone (this little site is a perfect example of both - I know I've picked up books and authors just from what people here have said about them). I think it is a great way to discover new authors, new series' etc.

He is even right (again, IMO) that people who read a book for free will quite possibly by the same book in print for themselves or perhaps buy the next books in the series, if applicable (I've done that with library books I've liked). I've talked to former Napster users who admit the same thing, they'd 'pirate' a song but later go out and buy the CD.

So, thanks Brian for introducing me to this. There are a couple of authors and books I've never heard of listed there and I just might have to see what they are all about.

I've heard of this, but haven't ever gotten around to checking it out. Guess I'll have to give it a look.

And, yes, I do think it is a valid way of selling books. If I read something I really like out of the library, for example, I will often go out and buy it afterwards so that I can have it for my library. When I can afford to do so, that is. Actually, I'm getting kind of itchy to buy a book - I may have to stretch the budget far enough to go get something that sounds really good.

I've been to the Baen free library fairly often and downloaded quite a few books from it. In this way, I've discovered some writers that I've liked and have since followed up on, and also discovered a few others that I didn't like so much, so now I know well enogh to avoid them, and at no cost!

I think the idea makes sense. All through school and college my friends and me used to tape incredible amounts of music for each other, and now I find myself picking up a lot of that stuff on CD. If it wasn't for the initial freebie, I doubt I'd have tried out and come to like - and eventually buy - so much music.

I think the same concept applies to books, too.

Absolutely - I agree with the concept too. Music piracy always sold music to me that I may never haev heard of in the first place. I never even bought an album (in those days of vinyl) until a friend copied me a compilation tape. I chased up the artists I liked and often spent ridiculous amounts of money chasing up rare editions and 12" single releases.

As for books - it's always better in a book, I guess, but still a good way to sample what you like and don't.

Are there any other website's that offer free downloading of fantasy books?

I've tried a few books in the Baen free library, although I was primarily interested in the Grantville Gazzette. :)

Goes to show that free advertising in the form of friends sharing music and books is good for the artist.
They end up suffering if no one knows of their work.

Well if I like any of the books that have been posted I will buy other works of those authors in the future :)