What would your Dæmon be like?

Alpha. nice.

I dont know about mine. can a person have more than one?

Oh, I don't know. I think I have the same one, but he (I've decided mine's a he ;)) changes shape over time, depending on what's needed.

I read a quote in Joesph Campbell's Hero With A Thousand Faces about a warrior king who went to war beside a god, there was some conversation going on between the two and the king was asking the god about his changeable nature. The god replied by showing the king how he was all things at once, showing the king only the aspect of himself at a time so that the king would be able to stand being in his presence at any one moment in time. It was showing the king that god's nature isnt changeable, man's is, and how the spirit is all things at once.

The heart of that really resonated with me, because if i look at it in a, forgive the term, 'human' way, my nature is excessively changeable and as fluid as quicksilver. For a long time I assumed I was unreliable because of this. But after reading that quote I decided to take a different perspective on my own nature and see if I really was all things at once.
I am. I am, and always have been, everything that I am. Which is a relief and a burden all at once. A relief to know that I am not so much changeable, as flexible, and therefor do have the potential to be reliable. A burden in that I know I will have to step up and always be accountable for all aspects of my nature at all times. I guess burden really is the wrong word because it carries so much negative connotation, but I cant think of a better one to describe the constant weight of responsibility I chose to shoulder in recognizing my responsibilities.

The reason I ask if a person can have more than one is because I seem to acquire personified aspects each time I give weight to one facet of my total soul for a prolonged period of time, relying heavily on it seems to force a solid voice and then a solid form out for me to interact with. Its all very existential and sounds a more than a bit crazy when I try to describe it, so I tend not to. But if the personifications that I have already are what is being described here, then I have at least 2 at the moment.

I dont know. I just think its easier to see someone else's point of view if one can practice making arguments from not-one's-own pov. Compassion necessitates a not-self pov and one of the ways I developed compassion for others is to have compassion for myself. This meant arguing my pov to an aspect of self that ether didnt share it or was wiling to play 'devils advocate' for the length of the argument.
I started this training very young to cope with those who couldnt cope with me. Its easier to modify ones behavior if one knows how ones behavior has offended and if the offended are incapable of expressing the source of their consternation with clarity the burden falls on the offender to find it, or accept that they are offensive.
Or such was my thinking. I've never been good at accepting that I am offensive.

After much study on varied topics I came to recognize one of the aspects I enjoyed arguing/conversing with was the Classic Ego. I've learned to give her statements less weight and listen more to the emotional drive of them since then. Study also helped me to better silence my Judge (not The Judge of here, but the inner voice called Judge who sits opposite Victim within our psyche) when she passed sentence on me from 'foreign laws' ie laws that were not of my making or true to my nature.

I guess it really depends on my needs at the time. Sometimes I have more active and sometimes less but I know that all are some aspect of my total self, and thus deserve my love and protection as well as my attention and correction.

I'm beginning to get to know one of my longest feared aspects. A dark huntress, panther like, playful yet deadly, who sometimes disguises herself as the small girl I was when she was first forced from me. But she is not all of who I am.
I have enjoyed the company of a sprightly fairy, a ball of mirth and love for whom no good dead is out of reach. But she is not all of who I am.
I have relied on the stoic silence of a white-knight-star who stands between me and all that would do me harm. But he is not all of who I am.
A rough and tumble kitten, a shy and retreating fawn, a burst of lightning, a soft cleansing rain, the sigh of dieing summer, and the clarity of a star-filled winter sky. These are but the few aspects of my infinite nature I have come to know in this lifetime. I expect I shall continue to learn more about myself as I continue to try and thrive in the harsh environment known as Reality.

Life truly is the best adventure story there is.

There is a tendency to look at immortal things as unchangeable. The easy out of that problem is what you describe, that God is too big to understand and has many facets, like the blind men who describe the elephant by touching it (one feels the ears, another the trunk, another a foot, the last the tail).

Each of us is similarly multi-faceted, with many sides that come to light when they need to.

I believe myself that there you inherit both biological and spiritual things from your ancestors, which comes from observation and some different readings.

I write about characters with daemons (I call them genii). They are full-fledged characters who grow and change in tandem with their human counterparts. They represent in a more allegorical way the memories and experiences of a bloodline, who becomes sort of symbiotic with one living member of the family.

I think with all the change that happens around us, its nice to imagine that there is something, some power, out there somewhere that is stable, and this is why most of humanity for most of its existence has had some immortal being to look to and rely on.

There's a test you can do: HelloQuizzy.com: The Golden Compass Daemon Test

Here's my result:
Multi-Faceted Soul

Suggested forms: Swan, Elephant, Koala, Panda, Chameleon, Wolf.

The red ones are two that I would have taken by my own choice.

I also like Panda, as I used to have a toy Panda that came everywhere with me when I was a little 'un. I still have him, thinking of it. He is imaginatively called Panda.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Young Adult Fiction 21