Telepathy 01

I've always been interested in telepathy, given that I am a twin. My sister and I have had a number of strange experiences over the years, and I'm still at a loss to describe what it is - possibly because I've grown up with that sort of thing happening to me.
I don't know whether it's true telepathy or not for twins, or just a question of two nearly identical brains - ie, she knows what I'm going to say without me saying it - and it's even happened when the two of us are miles apart. I believe that it exists, though, and I'm willing to settle for calling it telepathy until science proves it otherwise.

It's interesting to read your post (hi, I'm new by the way) - I've a brother who I used to be very close to, where we seemed to experience a lot of the same feelings even though we were living miles apart, although we both seem to have grown apart now.

I used to have the same sort of connection to my wife, where we could finish each others sentances.

I think it's not so much a psychic phenomena more a kind of intuition. And when you spend a lot of time with someone you get these feelings about what they're thinking just because you are close and you know them so well. In a way there's nothing there which is special in a paranormal sense, but there is still something special in the sense of how many people in our life do we really get to know so closely and intimately?

I find it interesting that science has been unable, despite many attempts, to find any evidence of telepathy whatsoever.

Hi WhiteCrowUK! Nice to meet you!
I think it'd be interesting to find out exactly what kind of intuitive feelings there are between twins, close siblings and loved ones, and I wonder whether scientists have already determined that it IS different from any kind of paranormal phenomenon. I guess it all depends on what your definition of paranormal actually is - could intuition be called paranormal? I think that would be a study in itself.

could intuition be called paranormal?

I don't know, personally I believe it isn't.

We're so used to the sci-fi cliches of "your puny Earth brains", that we're in danger of believing it. In actual fact there's a lot about our brains we don't know, and everything we see around us (well almost) has been created from the mind. Our brains are miraculous, but we don't credit just how important they are.

Plus I was reminded in a lecture we had at Rugby class (about how we as a team are getting a bad rep - ooops!) that only 15% of communication is verbal, the rest are little details and body language we can pick up on if we're atuned and can read.

The scientific community is hard-pressed to figure out how to investigate quite a bit of stuff in general, when money is not involved. Funding is key.

I've been reading about Bohm's non-locality ideas lately - wild stuff, very much related to telepathy. I've also been reading the book called "Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home..." by Rupert Sheldrake - a REAL scientist. Hey, if dogs can do it, and humans think they have bigger brains than their dogs do...?

I teach Alexander Technique - it's mostly just education that means I can decipher and use body language indicators that most people completely miss - not any "mind-reading" involved, although it seems to my Alexander student as if I'm reading their minds. I'm really only seeing what they intend in how they are getting ready to move; and I can do that because I've learned to do it - anyone can learn to see the subtle indicators if they take the trouble to do so. F.M. Alexander's work is another topic that the scientific community is just getting around to study, after a hundred years of testimonials of how it works. Guess it was pretty impossible to study because gait laboratories had to be invented first.

It irritates my sense of discovery when people suggest that because they don't know about something, it's not "proved by scientists" or they have never heard of it, it must be pure hokum. What arrogance! Really it's a matter that scientists have to be creative enought to craft the experiment to "prove" something. Even then the whole thing can be lost in some science journal and never picked up by the media...so the public never knows what is happening.

I don't know, personally I believe it isn't.

We're so used to the sci-fi cliches of "your puny Earth brains", that we're in danger of believing it. In actual fact there's a lot about our brains we don't know, and everything we see around us (well almost) has been created from the mind. Our brains are miraculous, but we don't credit just how important they are.

Plus I was reminded in a lecture we had at Rugby class (about how we as a team are getting a bad rep - ooops!) that only 15% of communication is verbal, the rest are little details and body language we can pick up on if we're atuned and can read.
I'm not sure, but I think we use less than 15% of our brains in any event. Imagine what's lost! If we did have this facility to be telepathic, then I reckon it's been lost somewhere in the 85% of our brains that we don't use, obviously there is the odd (not meant derogatively) person who is able to harness this gift.

Animals, on the other hand, appear to use it almost non-stop. As an example, I was doggy-sitting for my sister who'd gone skiing. She was due home on a particular morning but arrived home the evening before. The dog, who had been quite laid back for the 10 days she'd been away, was completely restless on the day she actually arrived home, continually going to the door and sniffing to see if she was there. It couldn't have been any vibes from me as I didn't expect her home till the next day. So how did the dog know she was coming home that day?

To Julio Clearsky -

It's been eleven months since this discussion went on, but I only found it yesterday.
I know exactly what you are talking about. Indeed, I wouldn't be here if I hadn't typed in certain key words (including "telepathy"). The conditions relating to my state certainly should be of interest - I am more telepathic now as a result of conscious breathing, yoga, and Tantric discipline.
Anyone who thinks it is about proximity does not understand the relationship of inner essence to inner essence. It is much more about frequency than it is about space, or as another gent suggested, "radiation". Radiation would have to be redefined in terms of the extra-dimensional aspect that distinguishes telepathy from - I dunno, kenesis, or gem stone healing, or a good ole nuclear reactor. "Vibrations" are the perfect lowest common lingusitic denominator for me, but I would be not so unwise as to suggest I know exactly how any of these things work.
But I would like to discuss this matter more exclusively. I'll get to my profile on this site in a few minutes I guess, but more importantly, I will look again soon for a response, and offer the e-mail john@savlove.com to address a more in-depth look at our respective situations. The web-site attached to the surname is about my musical media project - now prefaced with an update that alludes to the way ESP has influenced recent work. Anybody else who thinks all this is way cool, yeah, check it out. Julio, I too have thought of myself as one in 6 billion! For whatever it's worth, we're amigos.
Sav