The Shrinking Man

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Just finished this book. What a fantastic read! I thought the film was good but this was much better. The poignant shrinking - not only in size but away from his own humanity and the constant terror/hate caused by his spider nemesis made this a book that forces me to wonder why it took me so long to get around to reading it.

Been meaning to look for the book. The movie scare the living hell out of me whenI was a kid. I saw it at a Saturday matinee at our local theater and I remember running to the drinking fountain during the scary parts. I have not been affected by a movie this way since.

I assume you're referring to the book by Richard Matheson upon which the film The Incredible Shrinking Man was based? It's part of the SF Masterwork series but I'm yet to read it. Sounds great though!!

I assume you're referring to the book by Richard Matheson upon which the film The Incredible Shrinking Man was based? It's part of the SF Masterwork series but I'm yet to read it. Sounds great though!!

Yes, that's the one. The relationship between man and spider is much deeper in the novel than on film - and for that (and many other reasons) the book is very much the superior product. That said, the film ain't half bad either:)

Foxbat said:
Yes, that's the one. The relationship between man and spider is much deeper in the novel than on film - and for that (and many other reasons) the book is very much the superior product. That said, the film ain't half bad either:)
Thanks I might look at picking it up next tmie I'm in town.

Gollum: I strongly recommend Matheson's The Shrinking Man. I first read it when I was about 8, and it both scared, moved, and seriously disturbed me, yet left me with a feeling of elation. This is one hell of a book. (Assuming you've not read it yet) You're in for a treat!

Thnaks JD, no I've not yet read it but noted it's creepy presence in my specilaist SFF shop as part of the SF Masterwork series in town with a great big dirty spider on the cover *SHUDDER*...

Ive seen the film several times, thought it quite good. Ive never gotten around to the book:unsure:

I love this book. It's an emotional roller coaster of fear, despair, and happiness. Matheson shows his more poetic side, reminding me somewhat of Bradbury's prose. Not a single dull moment.