Harry Harrison

Allanon

High Druid
i like harry harrisons writing, i have only read the deathworld series but they are very very good. i like kerk from the series the most, hes so strong!

i'd like to get this started as a new thread in the authors section for when i read more of his work, so if people post on this it might happen.

I've read the deathworld first novel and wasn't quite impressed. Although I remember some good laugh reading the Stainless Steel Rat serie as a teen. About to re-read them now to see if it was just an hormonal love or if the novels are really as good (and cheesy) as I remember.

Read and enjoyed his notable Eden Trilogy which starts with West of Eden,an alternative Earth History(No Dino-killer asteroid) story,where Bronze? age man comes into contact and conflict with a mostly more intelligent,Dino-lizard bipedal race.An approaching Ice Age has forced them together,for better or for worse.
Well worth a read,Allanon.

The Stainless Steel Rat books are all good fun, as is the Deathworld Trilogy. Harrison seems to have been aprimarily humorous and satirical writer. What you may not know is, he also used to be a comic book artist!

I love the Stainless Steel Rat series and also Bill the Galactic Hero as well.
I have quite a few of those books - says worlds about my level of humour ;)

Haven't actually read any of his Deathworld series - will have to keep my eyes open. That's one of the good/terrible things about these forums...too many good books, not enough time/money!

Strangely for an humorous writer, he's also written of Make room, make room which led to the movie Solyent Green.

Harrison was for a long time one of my favourite authors, although recently I haven't read anything from him. SOme comments on his works:

Stainless Steel Rat - the best were the 2 first books. Later books aren't similary interesting.

Deathworld - again, should have been a dilogy instead of trilogy :( The third book just doesn't have the same kind of interest holding appeal.

Bill, the Galactic hero - a so-so in my books, pretty good but nothing special

Plague from space - avoid as a plague :cool:

Technicolor time machine - some good ideas about time travel and paradoxes

Spaceship medic - one of the first disaster stories i've read. a lot of nostalgic memories

Homeworld, wheelworld, starworld - another SF trilogy, readable, but pretty standart stuff.

west of eden - a work of a very nice imaginatio, well thought up and nicely written. Haven't read the following novels.

the hammer and the cross - this is how the historical fiction should be written. After i started this book, i couldn't put it down until the end was reached - shef-s adventures are just that good. Sadly the second and mainly the third book in the trilogy aren't as good (IMHO of course)

Oh well, so much for now :D

Have read all the novels and series you mentioned.

Add to this, other parts of "West of Eden" series are also good.
Hammer and the Cross -is simply excellent in all its entirety - here I will disagree with you because I think of it as the logically finished work.

Oh, I remember one more - Captive Universe, which seems to be set in a sekwed version of the Aztec culture, until you realise it's not...

Not a great book, but a decent read, I'd say.

I was glad someone mentioned 'Make Room, Make Room' as it is IMHO one the best dystopian future novels, and is not the same as 'Soylent Green'. It written in 1966, set in 1999. Although it hasn't come about yet, we are certainly heading in the same direction.

The 'Stainless Steel Rat' series is great, though some of the more recent additions are hit and miss. I also recommend 'Bill the Galactic Hero' and 'The Technicolour Time Machine'.

The 'Deathworld' series has interesting ideas but aren't great literature.

I agree with Taltos about 'Plague from Space'. I haven't read the others.

For his comic stuff I remember loving "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers" which is a really over the top pulp space opera parody. I enjoyed a lot of other stuff mentioned here, but I must admit he's one of those author's I've never had the urge to go back and revisit.

If you like Harrison I'd also recommend checking out Robert Sheckley. Who I think rarely gets the credit he deserves. He should be right up there on the list of the best writers of comedic Sci-Fi.

Just picked up the first Stainless Steel Rat novel.:)

I agree about West of Eden. I'd also mention Prime Number, a collection of short stories which I thought was great when I was 20 (which was, admittedly, some while ago!).

I was introduced to him when 2000AD serialised a few of his Stainless Steel Rat novels (3, I think, "The Stainless Steel Rat," "..Saves the World," and, "..For President.") - loved that Ezquerra artwork.

This turned me onto the books, which were fun.

The SFWA named him a "Grand Master" not too long ago and that was one of the cases that somewhat surprised me, but I didn't think it diminished the list or anything. You don't exactly think "Asimov, Clarke, and Harrison" but he's written a lot of good and well-known stuff that's had an impact and it's likely they were also taking into account that he was also a significant illustrator and important editor and his overall contributions were impressive.

Some have said that he primarily wrote funny stuff but I don't know that that's true. His most famous stuff is funny but I'd say the bulk of his writing was serious.

That said, I've read and/or have about half and half. The specific titles (most or all of which have already been discussed) are:

The Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat ((1961, 1970, 1972) 1977)

Still my favorite. The first three very funny galactic adventures of the famous crook/cop.

Bill, the Galactic Hero (1965)

This was okay and is generally discussed as equivalent to SSR but I didn't like it anywhere near as much and the later SSR books are genuine sequels (or prequels) whereas, while I haven't read any, I understand the sequels to these are basically sharecrop stuff.

Make Room! Make Room! (1966)

I also don't like this as much as a lot of people seem to but it's still quite good - one of the more famous late 60s/early 70s overpopulation books.

Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers (1973)

This, on the other hand, is vastly underrated. As This Is Spinal Tap is to metal (a brilliant parody that halfway works as metal that metal lovers (and haters) can love), this sendup of super-science space opera works as both satire and space opera that space opera lovers (and haters) can love.

West of Eden (1984)

Great idea of a sort of alternate history of dinosaurs evolving into sentience and having a highly developed but biologically-based science, with us monkeys wandering around, trying to get by, but I just didn't really love the book and never read the sequels.

A Stainless Steel Rat Is Born (1985)

The sixth SSR written and the first prequel. It was fine, as far as I recall, but I didn't get the other two sequel/prequels.

Stainless Steel Visions (1993)
A collection, which I discussed on the short story thread.

In the pile:

The Deathworld Trilogy ((1960, 1964, 1968) 1974)
A significant serious series. While not unanimous, the comments on this thread make it sound like I wasn't mistaken in being willing to explore these.

The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You! (1978)
The Stainless Steel Rat for President (1982)

The last two sequels to the first three before he wrote the prequel trio (and then another sequel trio). I haven't read the original trilogy in a long time but I did read it twice, once very young and once slightly less so. I saw these cheap and good, so picked them up with the plan to re-re-read the first three and go on with these.

As far as things to get, based on this thread and other opinions, it sounds like he's written some other good stuff but none of it sounds like it's quite my kind of thing, so those might cover it for me: a collection, and then Star Smashers and the SSR series for the funnies, and Make Room and hopefully the Deathworld series for the serious.