YA Film Reviews and Discussion

GOLLUM

*NB Alia I don't know if you were planning to setup a thread on YA films as well as books, so sorry if I've jumped the gun here but I thought it useful to start a thread like this. If one already exists for YA films then please combine it with that... :)

*Apologies if this has already been reviewed on Chronicles*

Review Of Steam Boy

Hi all,

I’ve recently seen the DVD director’s cut of legendary Akira director Katsuhiro Ôtomo's latest offering Steam Boy.

The story basically begins when Ray, a young wonder boy inventor of steam gadgets, receives a mysterious "steam ball' from his scientist grandfather with explicit instructions that the ball mustn’t "end up in the wrong hands". As the story progresses the ball turns out to be at the heart of an amazing "steam castle" and the key to a force of unparalleled power that several organizations are pursuing for their own ends.

Amongst this backdrop, Ray’s grandfather and father have had a philosophical split about the use of this new technological wonder and it’s perceived effect on society with Ray literally becoming the proverbial “meat in the sandwich” between these two brilliant but now opposing men. Ultimately Ray must determine which group will most probably use the steam ball for good and it’s likely effect on humanity.

The setting is in 1860’s London right at the heart of the Industrial Revolution and the animation itself in terms of the detail given to buildings, engineering gadgets in fact entire scenes is fantastic!

Whilst the animation is first class, the storyline is fairly basic and fails to fully develop it’s theme of the power of Technology and its effects on humankind when it is abused rather than respected. The characters themselves are also quite interesting with the best scenes involving the interactions between the son, father and grandfather however these are never allowed to fully develop as they take something of a back seat to the main action sequences which are impressively rendered.

I also feel the film itself could have gone for 30 mins less, weighing in as it does at almost 2 hours. If it had been a little more tightly directed in terms of time, I think the film would have benefited greatly overall. As one critic put it, as a piece of animation it would probably rate close to 5 stars but as a piece of movie making and in terms of overall plot and characterization closer to 3 stars (out of five).

However having highlighted some of its shortcomings I still regard this as a very entertaining film and it would be of particular delight I’m sure to any engineers, architects or those interested in the techniques of animation art. Certainly the fact the film took 9 years to produce, involved some estimated 180,000 individual drawings and cost close to 2.4 billion Yen (285 million Australian, 215 million US) shows it must have been very much a labour of love for those involved in the project. It's also quite a bit different in terms of it's look and style to Western films like Shrek or Toy Story.

I rate this as not being on the same level as the original Akira film but still quite good and a more "family friendly" movie with a PG rating (Parental Guidance Recommended, approx ages 12/13 and upwards in OZ). Certainly a worthwhile addition IMO to any YA enthusiasts like Alia who have at least one child in the teen years. As the blurbs suggest this is a film intended to encourage young people in particular to hold onto their dreams and aspirations for the future, certainly not the worst kind of message we could be telling our kids.

Genre:Science Fiction/Drama
Type: Animation
Classification: PG - Parental Guidance Recommended in Australia approx for ages 12/13 and upwards.
Overall Rating: 3.5-4 stars out of 5. (Closer to 4 stars than 3.5).

Anyone else seen this film or care to make a comment?

Hope this review helps... :)