Ricardo Pinto

rune

rune
I've only read one of this authors books - The Chosen. I thought it had some good points. It has especially well written characters and interesting ideas. :) However, as with a lot of long books, it was a little slow paced and I'm left wondering if it's worth reading more of his books.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this author?

YEP I've read the first 2 books of this guy's Sone Dance Of The Chameleon trilogy you're referring to. You are correct when you say that the story is somewhat slow paced and this continues into the second book but I enjoyed the prose and the way Ricardo develops such a rich cultural backdrop and characters in his story.

I rate this author and his books amongst the best of the modern fantasy Genre writers (up with Erikson, Martin, Bakker et al) but it won't be everyone's cup of tea like Donaldson's Covenant series is not to everyone's taste. The sexualtiy described is fairly progressive too, which might not be for everyone.

This author and his books have become very much a labour of love where economic considerations have been put in some ways to one side and for me it really shows in the writing and wordlbuilding!!

Here's a link to his website if you're interested. A date for the final book is very much open ended:

http://www.ricardopinto.com/

Thanks for the link :) Looks quite interesting, but with you're confirming that the books are still quite slow paced, I'll probably try and get them from my library instead of buying them. So goodness knows when I'll eventually get copies:confused:

rune said:
Thanks for the link :) Looks quite interesting, but with you're confirming that the books are still quite slow paced, I'll probably try and get them from my library instead of buying them. So goodness knows when I'll eventually get copies:confused:
The first 2 books have been out for some time and are regularly available from my local library so you shouldn't have a problem there. It's only the final book that is yet to see print.

I interviewed Ricardo last year at SFFworld. We got to know one another quite well in that period of time. He is a serious artist and a very interesting person. His prose is beautiful, rich and lush and his world is quite unique. The sexual issues seemed more important to some people years ago, but no one seems to care all that much about his preferances any longer, though some die-hards still find it uncomfortable to read.

If you are interested, here's the link:

http://www.sffworld.com/interview/87p0.html

Thanks for the link I enjoyed reading the interview :D Wish I got the chance to meet interesting people.

I've read The Standing Dead. Not standard epic fantasy fair, and not because tbe main character is a homosexual, but because Pinto's world and the story he tells in it are pretty unqiue and original. It is pretty dark stuff, brutal at times, and not at all swift-paced, but worth the slog if you're up for it. I was going throgh a rather blue phase when I first attempted it, and had to put it aside for a while before finsihing it later.

It is very dark stuff. It is also depressing in many ways and I understand completely why you had to walk away for a bit before finishing it. But it is also quite beautiful. The combination of dark and beautiful is what i found so compelling and so unique. It very much reflects the author's personal perspective.

Cairn said:
It is very dark stuff. It is also depressing in many ways and I understand completely why you had to walk away for a bit before finishing it. But it is also quite beautiful. The combination of dark and beautiful is what i found so compelling and so unique. It very much reflects the author's personal perspective.
Partly why I now consider Ricardo's work amongst the best of modern day fantasy series... :D

You should write to him and tell him that. I know he would appreciate it so much.

Cairn said:
You should write to him and tell him that. I know he would appreciate it so much.
May just do that, mind if I mention corresponding with you in the note?? :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy Book Discussion 20