I am creating my first graphic novel and I am so happy to translate some of my inspirations into my own art. What are your inspirations?

iamjonahlobe

Supporter
Finally, my new graphic novel “Quiet: Level One” is becoming a reality, and will be released on Kickstarter very soon (along with a host of other goodies). I am really happy with this journey so far, but Quiet: Level One wouldn’t exist without the host of influences I grew up with – perhaps you’re familiar with some of them?

(quick summary: “Quiet: Level One” is the story of a cute little skeleton tasked with preventing an almighty barbarian from destroying the Tree of Worlds, aka the source of all life. It is a story about fantasy, dungeons, monsters, and treasure, but also one about personal growth and the overcoming of impossible odds).

When it came to books, Erik the Viking and the Fighting Fantasy Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books left a huge impression, as did The Hobbit. The idea of a tiny, comfort-loving protagonist, thrown into a huge adventure… it was just so fun.

Comics also inspired me. While big into the fantasy of Elfquest, it was Jeff smith’s “Bone” that left the biggest impression on Quiet; I just loved the juxtaposition of the cartoonish main characters with the horrible monsters that always went after them.

Diablo was perhaps the biggest inspiration. Not so much the story itself, but the idea of a rampaging barbarian murdering hordes of monsters stuck with, and made me wonder: what if the barbarian were evil, and the monsters good?

Lastly, when I was only 10 years old, I traveled to Mexico for Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos). Everywhere I went, I was struck by the positive – even joyful – depictions of death, most embodied by the legions of skulls made out of sugar. Even a young monster-maker like me was affected by this beautiful (and delicious) treat!
Those are the main inspirations for my world, so I’ll leave it there. But I am really curious to hear about your inspirations as readers and/or writers! What works are you most inspired by today, and what do you think made an impression on your childhood self?

Attachments

• Salamander.png
    Salamander.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 352345423 13-14 JPG.jpg
    352345423 13-14 JPG.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 56
  • abd6f41b-4f0e-4c14-8aea-b63124b7cf58_800x533.jpg
    abd6f41b-4f0e-4c14-8aea-b63124b7cf58_800x533.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Cover 1.jpg
    Cover 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • barbarian panel.jpg
    barbarian panel.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 66
Impression upon my childhood self:
The music of Spike Jones, and then Slade.
Cartoons: Pink Panther, Tom & Jerry.
Films: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Kelly’s Heroes.

Later:
Dada, Futurism, low-budget monster/disaster films, and outsiders in any field.

These days:
Futurology, repetition, sarcasm, and repetition.

Back