Star Wars: The Acolyte: Episode One: Lost / Found

I enjoyed it. Was worried at the idea of what looked like a more fantasy influence but within the first few mins I was hooked.

More than anything else l, I think it’s so lovely to have characters we don’t know anything about. It’s all brand new and I don’t want to post spoilers so I’ll wait.

I've only seen the first episode so far. I thought it was a little clunky in places, but overall not a bad set up for the series. I agree - I like that we're seeing a new era and new characters.

I've created a new thread so spoilers (for this episode only) would be okay here, but all I'll say if that the story seemed a little bit Shakespearean.

Also, my own initial reaction was, not another bar room scene. I almost waited for ancestors of the Mos Eisley Cantina Band (Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes) to strike up a tune. However, that soon went away. In fact, the bar was more reminiscent of Firefly or Killjoys. It's a shame that Carrie-Anne Moss didn't get a bigger part in this.

I wondered how they would differentiate the tech-level given that this is 100-years earlier than anything we have seen before - human astromechs with handheld devices rather than droids (although there obviously were droids) and Coruscant had far fewer and shorter spires.

My only problem is just how the bad guys in Star Wars are always overacting their anger at the Jedi for their peace, love and understanding.

Here is a synopsis of this episode:
100 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire, the Galactic Republic and Jedi Order preside during a time of centuries-long peace. In a bar on the planet Ueda, Jedi Master Indara is attacked and killed by a woman wielding daggers. The bartender identifies Osha Aniseya, a former Jedi Padawan learner, as the killer. Osha, who works as a meknek doing dangerous repairs on the outside of starships, denies committing the crime when arrested by Jedi Knight Yord Fandar and his Padawan Tasi Lowa. En route to Coruscant, the galactic capital, Osha's fellow prisoners escape and leave her to crash-land on the planet Carlac. She sees a vision of her twin sister Mae, who was presumed dead in a fire that killed their family when they were young. Osha deduces that Mae is alive and the one who killed Indara. Jedi Master Vernestra Rwoh sends Master Sol, Osha's former teacher, to Carlac with his current Padawan, Jecki Lon, and Yord. They find Osha, and Sol accepts her theory about Mae. Elsewhere, Mae meets with her mysterious master, who has challenged her to kill a Jedi without using a weapon.

I've also seen this and I think it could be quite good. It strikes me as being especially prescient in the near universal hate for the Jedi. It seems to me like almost anyone who dedicates themselves to truth and justice is quickly seen as especially vile.

It's a shame that Carrie-Anne Moss didn't get a bigger part in this.

I wonder if she'll pop up in flashbacks, since it seems an event from the past is key to the story. But agreed - shame if not. It would be a little bit of stunt casting, given how prominently she was featured in the trailers.